What's new

My Favorite Things at CEDIA 2009 (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
After walking all around CEDIA this year several items really made an impression and I wanted to share my opinions on what I saw. They are in no particular order or ranking.

1. I agree with Ron and RAF that one of the very best and cool things I observed at CEDIA this year was Accell's AVGRIP Locking HDMI Cable. This allows you to plug in your HDMI cable and have it lock into place. You release the cable by pulling back slightly on the head of the cable. It isn't locked so tight that it won't come out if you accidently were to trip over it. You don't want to be pulling your monitor off the wall or your stand and have it come crashing to the floor because the cable didn't release. Instead it will come out with a minimal amount of pull (about 12 lbs) and not come falling out when you don't want it to. This device just works.

Be sure to watch our video podcast on this new device.

2). I was walking around the press room and noticed a folder from a company called Cyber Clean (http://www.cyberclean.tv) , from a Swiss based company call Joker AG/Ltd. This is another one of those products that just works. It is a gel that you take out of the package and press into things like your keyboard on your computer, the keyboard on your cell, the buttons on your printer/fax and so forth and you pull it back off. This takes with it all the dust and other junk that builds up over time and retains it in the gel.

When I got home I took out the gel and used it to clean up my computer keyboard and printer/fax and it works just a described. My keyboard looks like just took it out of the box and after 2 years junk build up that is saying a lot. I used to vacuum the keyboard but even then it didn't get into all the nooks and crevices. This product does.

3. H-PAS Speaker Technology - This is one of those things that you have to experience to appreciate what it does. This is a new technology from Atlantic Technology and Solus/Clements that inorporates several speaker designs into one. Dr. Fowkes has written a detailed thread regarding this new speaker design here. The major advantages is that you can take a basic MTM speaker and give it a bass response that requires no sub. There is no need to drive a big woofer with all the power requirements that this entails. The box does all the work. There are no equalizers or special crossover networks required either. As with my other favorites it just works.

4. Da-Lite Joe Kane Affinity Productions Screen & Samsung SP-A900B projector. Joe Kane, the video guru who takes his passion for film and video and puts into practice, has taken the time to go to both Samsung and Da-Lite Screens and have them make a combo that is built for video. The first step was with the screen that has a surface that is made of pure virgin vinyl. It has no hot spots and provides perfect uniformity edge to edge. The next step is the Samsung SP-A900B projector where Samsung worked with Mr. Kane to develop a single chip DLP projector with all the right components working together from the distance of the light source to the chip to the lenses used. The quality of workmanship into both products is quite evident. For me I am just glad that we have someone in the industry that is passionate about video as we are. This is another item that you have to see it in person to really appreciate what he has been able to put together. And another of my favorite things at CEDIA that just work.

5. Windows 7 and Media Center. This is another of those things that I saw that really impressed with. As a long time user of two HTPCs and Media Center the upgrade to Windows 7 is going to be killer. I can hardly wait for it come out in October so I can put my system together. Both Kevin Collins with Microsoft and our own Adam Gregorich have this running throughout their homes (lucky dogs) and it works without a hitch. Be sure to visit our thread and podcasts on Windows 7 and Media Center here.

6. JVC-DLA-RS35 projector. With hand picked components and lenses the JVC-DLA-RS35 projector is in a class all by itself. It simply has one of the best images I have seen from a front projector in a long time bar none.

Our video podcasts on this projector are here in this thread.

7. The last thing I was really impressed with was the Cinepro Home Theater. Again it is something that you have to see to appreciate. From the image on the screen to the sound produced in the room there wasn't anything about it that didn't make you drop your jaw and be blown away. If you have the kind of money that is required this is the only way to go.

Parker

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That gel looks interesting. Don't any of the keys come off when you remove it?

Cees

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was able to see items 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, and came away with positive reactions to all of them as well.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
That gel looks interesting. Don't any of the keys come off when you remove it?
Nope. They stay right where you left 'em. Great stuff. I have used it on several things like my keyboard to my HTPC, office computer and printer/fax and they all come off looking and working like new. They way I got it it was in a pack but it is available in a tub. I am going to go to Wal-Mart, Target, etc. to see if I can find it in one of the stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks