My favorite theater is getting better

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Nevin, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin Stunt Coordinator

The theater is adding 3 screens and one screen is going to rival the IMAX says a guy I know from going there allot. The screens will be opening in April and just in time for the summer blockbusters. I can't wait!!! That is all I know for now. I will ask about the big theater the next time I go there will be next weekend to see Hostel. I will keep you updated.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i'm worried about my favorite theater.

i live near philly and drive nearly 30 miles to go to the UA in king of prussia.
    within the last 5 years or so the have removed the imax label and then brought it back.
    removed the thx certification from the two largest screesn.
    that has not come back.
    not entirely a bad thing.

but i noticed the other day when i saw kong they interestingly had "rumour has it" in the a room witht the dts sound.
    kong was in several rooms including one of the former thx cert'd ones but i ended up in one of the other ones.
    this isnt usually a bad thing except this time the sound from the center was terribly distorted anytime anyone yelled or even spoke loud.
    and oddly enough almost everything adrien brody said was clipping the center channel.
    i'm worried the last theater i trust has declined to equal the others.

3. Patrick Nevin

Tony I am sorry to hear your favorite theater is not as good as it used to be. I hope that they get there act together and make the theater profitable.

Well I got some more information on Friday. The screen size is 35 feet by 80 feet with over 500 seats. I did not ask about the sound system but the next time I will be there I will ask

4. Patrick Nevin

Well the screen opened on Friday night with the movie Inside Man. I sat a few rows from the back in the middle of the screen. The screen is 80 feet wide by 35 feet tall and holds about 600 people.. They call it the Muller Monster Screen. Some of the problems I noticed where that the picture was fuzzy, the sound sounded muddy, the side surrounds worked only when you got closer to them (i noticed that while walking out of the theater), the floor below the screen is shiny so you can see the reflection of the movie on the floor which is distracting, the side lights should have been lower than they were or completely off. I do know it was opening weekend and that there are still some bugs to be fixed. Other than those things it was an awesome large picture even from the back. I am going to send the company an email about problems I noticed while i was watching the movie. I hope they get those problems fixed asap.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The prints may be a problem. IMAX has its own film format (much live drive-ins do) because the limitations of 35 mm really start to show at that size.

The Loews Boston Common theater here is the most modern (and one of the most expensive) but they don't have guards on the exit signs so the red light shines on the screen. I went to the Harvard Square Loews for the first time last weekend since it was th only theater still showing Winter Passing. I'll definitely be going back; the theater has stadium seating and a nice space between the seating and the screen. It reminded me of seeing films in my old freshman Film Arts class — in a good way. The AMC Fenway theater is your standard multiplex. Very classically middle of the road. Circle Cinemas out by Cleaveland Circle is a stange, depressing building like an old 80's theater that closed but never stopped showing movies. I saw The Matador in a long, narrow theater there and will probably not be returning.
    My favorite theater (aside from the Aquarium Simons IMAX which is awesome) is the Somerville Theater just off the Davis Red Line stop. Very atmospheric, the antithesis of a chain theater. Tickets are $6.50, which is unheard of for a big city anymore. I saw Pride & Prejudice and Walk the Line there, had a great experience both times and will get first priority from here on out.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, it's a second-run theater, and $6.50 for that is kind of pricy; in fact, it's actually cheaper to take the T out to Quincy and drop $2.50 at the Flagship Cinema there. Heck, the new management at Fresh Pond (a first-run theater) charges less on weekday matinees and Tuesday nights ($5.25). It'll be interesting to see how their plans to spiff that place up go.

Have you been to Coolidge Corner yet? It's arguably one of the nicest places in the country, and has one of the few screens in the area set up to show 70mm, archive prints, and polarized 3-D.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Thanks for the recommendations, Jason! Didn't know about the Flagship, so I'll definitely be checking that out. Not a big fan of Fresh Pond, though a nice fix-up job might be just what it needs.
    Ironically, I was on the verge of going to Coolidge Corner for the first time tonight to see Confederate States of America. My companion, uncomfortable with the subject matter, ultimately opted out and we didn't go. But I'll definitely keep on the lookout for 70 mm shows.
    Would you recommend the Brattle? I know they've been on the verge of closing for a while now. Most of what they show is too out there for me, but occasionally I've seen something on their calendar that piques my interest. I'm considering their April Fool's screening of Hudson Hawk.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

70mm shows are rare, and right now CSA is showing in the Mini-Max, a video screening room which holds (literally) a couple dozen people.

As to the Brattle... Uh, yeah, I'd recommend it. I chose the apartment I was living in from the time I moved to Cambridge from Portland (Maine) in '99 to when I moved out last month in large part because it put me in easy walking distance to the Brattle, even in the winter, and I'm not much farther away now. I've been a member for six-plus years and participated in the fundraising efforts last fall.

I love that place, and even though the March/April schedule this year isn't my favorite, they'll be around at least through the end of the year and there is likely to be some good stuff during that time. Check out tomorrow's Breaking News/President's Last Bang double feature - even if the latter is kind of on the odd side (blackly comic political drama about the 1979 assassination of the President of South Korea), the former is a tight, fantastic action movie that you won't otherwise get many chances to see on the big screen.