Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

My Favorite Brunette Blu-ray Review
myfavbrunettetop-1024x755.jpg

Bob Hope brings his milquetoast alter ego to the hard boiled world of private detection in Elliott Nugent’s My Favorite Brunette.

[review]

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Matt. People who know Bob only from his occasionally painful latter day TV specials would be advise don't to check out his movie career from the 30s - 50s. He really was a terrific performer who made a number of highly entertaining films. I snapped up the Universal issued DVDs of his titles and still enjoy them.

Son of Paleface, also released by Kino, is my favorite Hope film and the inclusion of Roy and Trigger (and Jane Russell) make it a classic in my opinion.

Only disappointing things is that Kino didn't deliver English Subtitles on this or the other Hope releases.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I recently recorded "My Favorite Brunette" off TCM, and it looked so awful that I deleted it.

Your review gives me hope for this Kino release.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Thanks, Matt. People who know Bob only from his occasionally painful latter day TV specials would be advise don't to check out his movie career from the 30s - 50s. He really was a terrific performer who made a number of highly entertaining films. I snapped up the Universal issued DVDs of his titles and still enjoy them.

Son of Paleface, also released by Kino, is my favorite Hope film and the inclusion of Roy and Trigger (and Jane Russell) make it a classic in my opinion.

Only disappointing things is that Kino didn't deliver English Subtitles on this or the other Hope releases.
typical.....NO English sub-titles and I have already paid for it.........infact it is in the post to me............on arrival it will go straight into the trash bin........Thanks. Kino...........

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Matt for the review. This is one of my favorite Hope vehicles, and I have purchased many public domain releases in the past, hoping for a good print. Looking forward to getting this Kino edition in my hot little hands.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I watched this on Sunday and really enjoyed it.

When we first see the Trafalgar Building, where Ronnie Jackson's office is located, the narration actually gives the exact location of it on California Street in San Francisco. The Trafalgar Building was torn down years ago (it's now the entrance to the parking garage for the Ritz-Carlton), but the building next door where the House of Lee was located is still standing.

https://sfinfilm.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/noirmyfavuse.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Matt, you mention how good the closing gag is, and I will heartily agree with you. I won't spoil it for those who've not seen the movie. The gag is still funny after multiple viewings.

packyeast

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy Parker
I watched this yesterday. The sound effects have been altered with new ones added. Can someone please verify this?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Looking forward to receiving this disc. Now that Spy and Brunette are out, hopefully Blonde, my favourite Hope film, will follow soon.

As much as I would love that, I wouldn't hold my breath. All of these that are currently being released are owned by the Hope estate (he struck a deal with Paramount in 1946 that allowed him to alternate making films for Paramount and for his own production company) and BLONDE was a wholly owned Paramount release and resides in the dusty, unloved vaults of Universal, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread