What's new

"My Fair Lady" on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Who holds the blu-ray rights to the CBS owned film "My Fair Lady". Warner had the DVD rights but they have lapsed. Is Warner planning to get the Blu-ray rights or will they go to Paramount who last held the VHS rights? Or Does CBS deal with a different company on Blu-Ray? Amazon has a placeholder for the Blu-Ray so I might believe there are some plans to release it in the next year

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, according to the recent Classic Coming Attractions column on thedigitalbits.com Warner's license ran out in June. My guess is Paramount will do it, like the same agreements they have for the TV library (which CBS Corporation owns) and the Cinema Center Films and CBS Theatrical Films libraries.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas
Originally Posted by MatthewA

document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); document.writeln(''); Well, according to the recent Classic Coming Attractions column on thedigitalbits.com Warner's license ran out in June. My guess is Paramount will do it, like the same agreements they have for the TV library (which CBS Corporation owns) and the Cinema Center Films and CBS Theatrical Films libraries.

Makes sense now that Warner's license is gone that it goes to Paramount, and hopefully there's a blu-ray down the road.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I hope Warner Bros can regain the rights because it will always be a Warner Bros film. Warner Bros made the film, distributed it, Jack Warner produced it and the studio logo opens the film. I don't want Paramount to stick their logo on the disc and Warner Bros would surely give the film the prestigious Blu-ray edition which the film deserves.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
You mean to sell it only with a boxful of useless memorabilia and charge $80 for it?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
In the right hands this should be a gorgeous looking *and* sounding Blu-ray. Is on my short list of release date double dip purchases on BD.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I found a copy of the 2 Disc DVD locally because I wanted it for the extras and audio commentary track, I couldn't take a chance that some of the extras may not be able to be released if CBS/ Paramount re-release it.

I noticed a lot of local stores had it pulled from their stock including Suncoast and Barns and Noble.

Amazon.com still seems to have it in stock. I can imagine once it is OOP the prices will start to rise on the 2 Disc Special Edition DVD set.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If Paramount gets it, there's a chance it'll get out, since having Audrey Hepburn in it is a prerequisite for their catalog title releases.

Look at The African Queen. That is a Paramount Release and it looks great. Also it wasn't Warner Brothers that restored "My Fair Lady" in 1994 it was CBS. I think the film "My Fair Lady" needs another restoration for a blu-ray release.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Stan Heck

Look at The African Queen. That is a Paramount Release and it looks great. Also it wasn't Warner Brothers that restored "My Fair Lady" in 1994 it was CBS. I think the film "My Fair Lady" needs another restoration for a blu-ray release.

Jack Warner was only allowed to license the film rights for seven years. In 1971 the film rights reverted back to CBS (then partnered with FOX). CBS did the film restoration for the 1994 release (Fox released the video) When DVD came about Warner struck a deal with CBS for the rights. Since then Paramount and CBS hooked up so Paramount will most likely release the Blu-ray. Though if Paramount is licensing out their films (Apocalypse Now) maybe Warner will get to release the blu-ray afterall. Film restortor Robert Harris recently posted that the film didn't need a new restoration just a little bit of digital tweeks

Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Jack Warner was only allowed to license the film rights for seven years. In 1971 the film rights reverted back to CBS (then partnered with FOX). CBS did the film restoration for the 1994 release (Fox released the video) When DVD came about Warner struck a deal with CBS for the rights. Since then Paramount and CBS hooked up so Paramount will most likely release the Blu-ray. Though if Paramount is licensing out their films (Apocalypse Now) maybe Warner will get to release the blu-ray afterall. Film restortor Robert Harris recently posted that the film didn't need a new restoration just a little bit of digital tweeks

Paramount no longer owns distribution rights to "Apocalypse Now". Maybe Paramount will release a Blu-ray of "My Fair Lady" in 2014 for the "50th Anniversary" edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks