What's new

My Fair Lady commentary question (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
On the audio commentary of the DVD of "My Fair Lady," Harris and Katz mention that a classic film was coming out around the same time with footage that the director (a deceased director) never intended to be in the film.

This was around 1998. What film could this be?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure it is "Touch Of Evil" as the re-edit is based on notes left by director Orson Welles. The fiim released by Unviersal originally, was not his cut.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A Touch Of Evil was extensively reconstructed and re-edited according to Welles' huge memo.

It's probably better to have the closest vision of the director instead of something totally not his. (This goes for Greed as well.)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This may have been a reference to the Busby Berkely "scarecrow dance" sequence from The Wizard of Oz which WB was strongly considering adding to the film proper when they re-released it in the late 90s. Sanity prevailed, however, and they released it in its proper cut with the scarecrow dance staying as a DVD and laserdisc supplement where it belongs.

Regards,

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
That Scarecrow dance only excists as a home movie made on the set by composer Harold Arlen (I believe.) It is rather jumpy, what with his using a handheld camera. It's been issued on laserdisc as a suppliment or in some Wizard documentaries.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Peter,

I believe you are thinking about the "Jitterbug" number. The "scarecrow dance" is an extended dance from the "If I Only Had a Brain" number which was choreographed by Busby Berkely, but then not used. Relatively pristine audio and film elements still exist for this segment.

Regards,

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The "scarecrow dance" is an extended dance from the "If I Only Had a Brain" number which was choreographed by Busby Berkely, but then not used. Relatively pristine audio and film elements still exist for this segment.
If I remember correctly, this scene was presented in the compilation film THAT'S DANCING.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Perhaps they were referring to the original release of Touch of Evil, which came out just a few years before My Fair Lady. I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks