What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Skoda said:
Got the disk yesterday and was so absorbed I watched the movie all the way through, even though I've seen it many times. That's how good it is.

One thing that occurred to me this time--the sound editors did an amazing job with Rex Harrison. I say this because he's singing live. So that means every time there is a cut within one of his numbers, they had also had to edit his vocal from one live rendition of the song to another "take," right? I don't imagine there were multiple cameras running. And they were able to do this seamlessly.

They were helped by the fact that Harrison had done this role so often on stage his performances were probably fairly consistent from one take to another. But, still, in 1964, this was no small accomplishment.

Which may be one of the reasons that MFL won the Academy Award for Best Sound.

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
CMNash said:
I can clearly hear the snappiness of the snare drums in the main verses of the 'On the Street Where You Live' section. The xylophone rings out clearly and isn't overpowered by the brass. There just seems to be better balance between the strings and brass through out this remastered sound track.
I'll do you one better.

The sound was such, that I was able to discern exactly which brand of reeds were being used from within Previn's wind section.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
I've cancelled my pre-order, though NOT because of the price point, but back to back "Deal of the Day" Collector's sets that I simply couldn't pass up!

That said, Amazon's pricing adjustments sometimes defy logic, but I've already covered my take on that in a previous post!

I'll likely pick up MFL50 at our local Best Buy sometime next month, as their current price point is the same as Amazon Canada's, and I like to support Brick & Mortar Outlets once in a while!

CHEERS! :)

Well, so much for supporting local Brick & Mortar Outlets!

My attempts to reserve online failed. Upon phoning Best Buy, it was only when the helpful Sales Associate checked the in store online setup that MY FAIR LADY showed as being sold out!

Bad news for me, but very encouraging news, in terms of MFL50 sales!

I've just placed an online order with Amazon Canada that's already listed as "Preparing For Shipment"! Frankly, it was a bit embarrassing for me to do this so soon after having to cancel my previous MFL50 pre-order for financially logistical reasons! What made it so for me, was actually having had to phone Amazon directly to cancel, as many repeated attempts at cancelling online wouldn't work! I was told that this often happens when trying to cancel pre-orders, though this was my first experience!

The before tax cost is $31.96 Canadian! In my opinion, that's not at all bad, especially considering our crappy exchange rate!

Tony

P.S. While Wal-Mart Canada's site lists MFL50 for pre-order, for some unknown reason, their release date isn't until December 1! :P

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
RMajidi said:
[ref. post #1111]

Philip, this is generous support of restoration efforts, certainly, but I'm concerned that it may be subject to abuse, despite your best intentions.

Someone might order through Amazon, PM you their receipt, set your cheque payment in motion and then promptly cancel their Amazon order; and you'd be none the wiser.

Another method of supporting the restoration would be to buy another copy of MFL (or Spartacus) as a gift for a young friend/family member unfamiliar with classic titles; thereby also introducing them to what cinema can be / should be all about. [I say this despite MFL not being my favourite musical. My pre-ordered copy will take a few weeks to arrive yet]
It's funny, but my Pepsi Challenge offer, from Post #1111 happens also to be the time I was born (11:11 PM).

Albeit, I wasn't born yesterday;

but if someone needs to go to that much trouble to score 8 bucks off of me, then I'll just send it to them, anyway :lol:.

Okay, here's the update.

Nobody went for my offer within these past 21 hours; so I'm going to take the advice of RMajidi.

As far as I'm concerned, both the restorations of "Spartacus" and "My Fair Lady" are perfection.

And perfection doth make the perfect gift.

I will purchase 2 additional copies of each title - through Amazon - and give them this holiday to two families who won't believe their eyes and ears.

"Farewell" to The Pepsi Challenge; RMajidi's approach is cleaner, swifter and better.

Now...let's get back to "My Fair Lady" and her 50th Anniversary festivities :).

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
PMF said:
But, here is my latest question that the higher ups at HTF may be able to answer:

If we buy "My Fair Lady" from a vendor other than Amazon - and at a lower price - will the message concerning our support for restoration still be heard; or does something get lost, somehow, along the way?

My guess, is that all that matters to the studio is the number of sales, and the more sales early on the better. As for Amazon or another vendor at a cheaper price, I don't think it matters at all to the studio since they've already received their share. The fact that Amazon is only discounting it by 10% I believe is just lining their pockets more and has nothing to do with the studio recouping more. If anything, the fact that Amazon has chosen not to discount it closer to 30% (a fairly standard discount for a new release) is probably cutting into potential early purchases as people are more likely to wait it out for a better price. The Target pricing is just evidence that it wasn't the studio that forced a low margin of discounting but a choice made by Amazon. So it is quite possible that supporting Amazon in this case may actually be a detriment because they are potentially hurting potential sales by choosing not to discount.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I say, just buy MY FAIR LADY 50 from whatever legitimate vendor (Amazon is among these, the last time I checked!) at whatever the price, and not sweat it! The rest is pretty much beyond our control, anyway! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I do find it a bit curious that, while Best Buy's online setup indicated the MY FAIR LADY: 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION was sold out, my just ordered this morning from Amazon Canada MFL50 set has already shipped! :huh:

CHEERS!

:cheers:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
PMF said:
It's a deal !!!

I will purchase "Sherlock Holmes" (1916) at $35, being that this will gain your support for "MFL" at $35.

But, here is my latest question that the higher ups at HTF may be able to answer:

If we buy "My Fair Lady" from a vendor other than Amazon - and at a lower price - will the message concerning our support for restoration still be heard; or does something get lost, somehow, along the way?

Phillip: I honestly don't believe that choice of vendor has any bearing on any "message" to be sent to anyone about support for restoration. It is my belief that people overthink these "messages" that consumers can "send" with a particular purchase.

For example, instead of sending a message in support of restoration efforts, couldn't it be argued just as equally that the purchase of My Fair Lady is a support of Lerner & Loewe? Or George Cukor? Or musicals in general? Or '60s films?

I think the only message to be sent by intentionally purchasing a title at a more expensive price is that "I am not careful with my money."

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Mike Frezon said:
>>>

I think the only message to be sent by intentionally purchasing a title at a more expensive price is that "I am not careful with my money."

Speaking for myself, I was OK with the $27.99 price because otherwise I would have spent money on gasoline driving far out of my way to find a Target or WalMart or Best Buy that had it in stock (not likely in my area) and deal with traffic and salespeople etc. With amazon, I knew for sure I would have it on release day and that it would be waiting for me when I got home from work without ending my day later and possibly frustrated. I am just saying there are trade-offs and for me in this case with this movie at this price it was ok for me because of the convenience I was getting. Plus, Spartacus was so reasonable that I figure I paid about 22.50 total to get both movies. Considering the expertise, time and money that went into their restorations, I feel good about that. The money I really regret spending is what I paid for the first Blu-ray release of each title.

Reactions: PMF

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Kind of pissed that after over 400 days on preorder, my order is still "preparing for shipment" a day after the release date. I understand that they prioritize Prime and full price shipping orders over super saver shipping, but with that much time to prepare I feel like they could have gotten it out the door on release.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Adam Lenhardt said:
Kind of pissed that after over 400 days on preorder, my order is still "preparing for shipment" a day after the release date. I understand that they prioritize Prime and full price shipping orders over super saver shipping, but with that much time to prepare I feel like they could have gotten it out the door on release.

Hi Adam!

Yours is an example of there being no rhyme or reason to Amazon's practices, and I agree that the earliest pre-orders, which included yours, should have taken priority!

Hopefully, you won't have to wait much longer, though perhaps a proactive "Where's My Stuff?" inquiry might be in order? That's what I'd do, anyway.

Tony

Real Name
Clark
Mark-P said:
Glenn, I guess your memory doesn't go back as far as the early 1980s when VHS tapes were twice the price of Laserdiscs! To own a copy of a movie on VHS you had to pay $69.99 to $84.99 but Lasdiscs were only $34.99 to $39.99
I remember those days. "The Beatles First U.S. Visit," which came out in the early 1990s, was initially priced at $99 (clearly positioned to be a rental release) while the vastly superior laserdisc was $34. Boy, was I glad I owned a laserdisc player...

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Clark V. Kauffman said:
I remember those days. "The Beatles First U.S. Visit," which came out in the early 1990s, was initially priced at $99 (clearly positioned to be a rental release) while the vastly superior laserdisc was $34. Boy, was I glad I owned a laserdisc player...
Some us still do- we can't let go! Lol.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Race Bannon said:
That's mostly a happy thing. I do not enjoy all those big box stores.

Except it sucks that now, there's just a huge empty space, that's not likely to be occupied anytime soon! :(

But that's rather veering way off topic!

Insofar as my acquiring MFL50, thank goodness for Amazon! :)

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Like most of you, I was extremely impressed with the transfer.

I was looking for a documentary about this great remastering project, but could not find one. Anyone else have luck with that?

P

Patrick Donahue

Race Bannon said:
Got my copy at Target today ($24.99)
Up until last week, this USED to be the blu-ray section at my Target :(

image.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
KPmusmag said:
Speaking for myself, I was OK with the $27.99 price because otherwise I would have spent money on gasoline driving far out of my way to find a Target or WalMart or Best Buy that had it in stock (not likely in my area) and deal with traffic and salespeople etc. With amazon, I knew for sure I would have it on release day and that it would be waiting for me when I got home from work without ending my day later and possibly frustrated. I am just saying there are trade-offs and for me in this case with this movie at this price it was ok for me because of the convenience I was getting. Plus, Spartacus was so reasonable that I figure I paid about 22.50 total to get both movies. Considering the expertise, time and money that went into their restorations, I feel good about that. The money I really regret spending is what I paid for the first Blu-ray release of each title.

Kevin: I totally get what you're saying.

If I had done the $27.99 pre-order at Amazon, I also would not have gone to two Targets last night looking for a copy. It definitely wouldn't have been worth it.

And I certainly, over the years, have done my share of rationalizing that I got Title A at such a good price that it makes what I paid for Title B worth it! :laugh:

I probably am now doing 90+% of my Blu/DVD ordering from Amazon for all the reasons you mentioned. Convenience, price, etc.

But that $36 price on MFL is just too high when others are offering a more reasonable price. if people here don't have options to get a better price...or just want to show a loyalty to Amazon, that's fine. I just don't get the argument that, given the options that there are, customers should choose to pay more (or not complain about that price) because of the quality of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks