What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've cancelled my pre-order, though NOT because of the price point, but back to back "Deal of the Day" Collector's sets that I simply couldn't pass up!

That said, Amazon's pricing adjustments sometimes defy logic, but I've already covered my take on that in a previous post!

I'll likely pick up MFL50 at our local Best Buy sometime next month, as their current price point is the same as Amazon Canada's, and I like to support Brick & Mortar Outlets once in a while!

CHEERS! :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Picked a copy up at Target this morning! The first Target I went to (which received 6 copies) was already sold out (Rancho San Diego, CA store). Grossmont Target (La Mesa, CA) received 13 copies and when I arrived I counted only 5 on the shelf. When I left they only had 3 on the shelf (I purchased a second copy to give as a gift).

I happened to have a $5 Target coupon from a laundry detergent purchase so that and my Red Card knocked the price down to $18.99 out of my pocket (plus tax). :thumbsup:

The Target item number for the restored Blu-ray (in case anyone wants to call and check stock with their Target) is: 058330055

I'll be watching it this afternoon on my brand new 75" Vizio M-series 4K TV! :)

Mark

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Target's website is not even showing the new edition, and there are zero in the two stores near me. I guess it depends on your region.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The old MFL has the great Marni Nixon on the commentary and she is not on anything on the new- if my understanding is correct. Marni has been left out as she was in 1964. Poor Marni.
Needless to say I will keep the old even if the technical commentary is obsolete.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
trajan said:
Its time for a special Oscar for Mr. Harris and his work over the years.
You needed the 2015 restoration of "My Fair Lady" to arrive at this thought? :lol:

RAH had me at "Spartacus".

No...I take that back...he had me at "Lawrence of Arabia".

Yes, trajan, I wholeheartedly concur.

In fact, I'm jealous of you for being the first on record to say it, on this day that honors our Miss Doolittle.

But as God is my witness; I've been talkin' about an Honorary Oscar for this Harris fellow for some time, now.

Yes, trajan, you did say it first;

I second that emulsion;

and I'll gladly take a back seat to you...just as long as this man gets his due.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
THE PEPSI CHALLENGE:

Anyone who has been on record and is still remaining reticent over the pricing of this 2015 edition of "My Fair Lady"

(which truly reflects the exhaustive work that was put into it's restoration)

are invited to send me a Personal Message.

I will personally cut an $8.00 check to 5 HTF members; which makes up the nominal differences complained about.

5 x $8.00 = $40.00; which, after taxes, pretty much represents the price of one 50th Anniversary BD of "MFL".

I want to see restoration thrive and I want a message sent to distributors that the market for such ventures is lucrative, crucial and very much needed.

So, here's the deal.

Order "My Fair Lady" through Amazon, send me a copy of your receipt and I will send you an $8.00 check.

The first 5 on record to take this Pepsi Challenge will be notified by me and confirmed in the agreement, before your actual purchase.

Purchase dates MUST be validated reflecting today's date of 10/27/15 (or thereafter).

Let restoration reign.

- PMF

P.S. "If you refuse this offer you will be the most ungrateful, wicked [purveyor of film] and the angels will weep for you".

- Henry Higgins (aka G.B.S.)

P

Patrick Donahue

Pleasantly surprised to see this on the shelf at Target today, especially considering they recently cut the blu-ray section in half to put in movie related toys :-(

NeverReady

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
What a great day for movie restorations. Received my copy of MFL this morning and just had a matinee viewing this afternoon. All I can say is WOW. The color, the clarity, brightness and contrast and especially the sound - absolutely stunning. For once I could understand the dialog all the way through the movie - can't say that for most newer movies. The music and dialog was outstandingly crisp and clear. I have been watching this movie since the BETA Hi-Fi days, then LD, VHS Hi-Fi, DVD and now Blu-ray. Since this is perfect, in my humble opinion, I don't see how it could get any better in the future. I may even watch it again this evening.

Many many thanks to Mr. Harris, CBS and to all who worked so hard and long not only on this restoration, but the movie itself so many years ago - including the previous restoration.

If I were to nit-pick, I thought the music during the opening credits sounded a little bit hollow/unnatural, but I am going to listen again, but it didn't take away my enjoyment of the movie itself. I also didn't like the packaging - the disks were difficult to put back in, but not take out. I can indeed live with this. I did especially like the artwork on the packaging though. The most important thing is the restoration itself and how enjoyable it was to watch this. I was a little distracted by the details of the wallpaper, carpeting and wood paneling - again nit-picking, but enjoyable distractions.

This is the creme de la creme of restorations.

I hope everyone else enjoys this as much as I did - the wait was well worth it, as the saying goes, anything worth while is worth waiting for.

CMNash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos M Nash
NeverReady said:
If I were to nit-pick, I thought the music during the opening credits sounded a little bit hollow/unnatural, but I am going to listen again, but it didn't take away my enjoyment of the movie itself. I also didn't like the packaging - the disks were difficult to put back in, but not take out. I can indeed live with this. I did especially like the artwork on the packaging though. The most important thing is the restoration itself and how enjoyable it was to watch this. I was a little distracted by the details of the wallpaper, carpeting and wood paneling - again nit-picking, but enjoyable distractions.

I'm currently giving it a complete watching before the World Series starts up. I agree with many of your statements. However, I have the opposite reaction regarding the sound of the overture. I'm actually surprised by its clarity. Outside of listening to the sound track recording, I can clearly hear the snappiness of the snare drums in the main verses of the 'On the Street Where You Live' section. The xylophone rings out clearly and isn't overpowered by the brass. There just seems to be better balance between the strings and brass through out this remastered sound track.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Stephen_J_H said:
Unpleasantly unsurprised NOT to see this on the shelves at Walmart today. I miss Target.

I went to Target this afternoon hoping to get a copy only to find the shelf space reserved for it empty. My guess is that they ordered too few copies and sold out early.

---------------

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
After spot checking, I must join the chorus to say this is a stunning presentation visually and aurally of MFL.The clarity of both picture and sound is amazing. Kudos to RAH, CBS, Paramount and the entire team who had any hand in making this film a fair lady once more. Anyone with even a modicum of interest in film restoration and preservation owes it to themself to purchase this gem to support the cause.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My copy arrived this morning and I couldn't resist checking a few of my favourite scenes. It looks absolutely stunning. Now I'm about to pop open the champagne and watch it from beginning to end!

f388697d289e935d4f06548072d8db0c.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mike Frezon said:
Wow. Thanks for that information, Jack!

Amazon has decided to change the price today, too! They have taken their dollar price drop and reversed it...bringing the price of MFL from $34.99 back up to $35.99. :rolleyes:

It isn't necessary to pay Amazon's price. DVD Pacific's price is $26.40 plus shipping.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Stephen!

Is there a Best Buy in your area, by chance? Their current price point for MFL50 matches Amazon Canada! :)

CHEERS! :)

Tony
Alas, the nearest store to me is out of stock. There are still 6 available online with free shipping, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks