What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rick Thompson said:
CBS owns the underlying play? When did that happen? CBS, at then Columbia Records President Goddard Lieberson's insistence, was the sole backer, and owns all cast recording rights. But the copyright on the play is in the name of Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, and Warner bought the film rights for $5 million, with the film reverting to CBS seven years from release.

Did CBS later buy out Lerner and Loewe? Otherwise, I don't see how they own the play. They would still get income by virtue of backing the original production, a fact that, as I understand it, pretty much goes on until the copyright expires. But the Lerner and Loewe estates still own the copyright -- unless, of course, CBS bought the copyright from them, which maybe they did.

Trying to simplify at bit. Obviously not working.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, with RH in charge, I guess we can expect expert chaptering .. so many transfers of musicals refuse to give us proper workable chapter-points for the songs!

We may watch a movie two or three times but we would pop it in to see individual songs scores of times. I can't stand transfers which, like the new 'Stormy Weather', refuse to give us a workable menu system. So stupid, since the songs are the show!

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Just found out this from The Digital Bits page:

"And finally today, just a quick update on the status of CBS’ recent My Fair Lady restoration. I’ve checked with sources and learned that it’s definitely still coming to Blu-ray, but apparently the studio is working with Fathom Events to hold nationwide theatrical screening of the newly restored film this fall and wants to coordinate the release with that. So expect the Blu-ray now to be probably a 3rd Quarter release in time for the holidays."

Guess our wait will continue......

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Raul Marquez said:
Just found out this from The Digital Bits page:

"And finally today, just a quick update on the status of CBS’ recent My Fair Lady restoration. I’ve checked with sources and learned that it’s definitely still coming to Blu-ray, but apparently the studio is working with Fathom Events to hold nationwide theatrical screening of the newly restored film this fall and wants to coordinate the release with that. So expect the Blu-ray now to be probably a 3rd Quarter release in time for the holidays."

Guess our wait will continue......

If this is true, this is probably good for me, as my excitement for this release has completely diminished and there are too many other titles being released soon that I want. I'm sure by the fall I'll be excited again. (I'll get it either way, but I miss the excitement I felt when the restoration was first announced.)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
They can just relase the BLU. The Fathom event screenings are the worst screenings I've ever witnessed. I would never attend one again. I am sure this isn't why the disc was delayed but it shouldn't hold back the BLU. Fathom event screenings are a joke. Bad audio bad video, it's like going to a friends house with a bad setup and enduring your film being shown incorrectly.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was told at the local bijou -- hopefully correctly -- that they're expecting Fathom to send The Sound of Music out in 4K DCP.

Equally hopefully, this would apply to My Fair Lady when the time comes.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Charles Smith said:
I was told at the local bijou -- hopefully correctly -- that they're expecting Fathom to send The Sound of Music out in 4K DCP.

Equally hopefully, this would apply to My Fair Lady when the time comes.

Even if it is a quality DCP, my local theater that screens the fathom events always plays it in their smallest auditorium, which seems to me hardly larger than my projector's image at home. They do have one really nice size theater, but it is always reserved for the latest blockbuster. I'm sure that in this day and age MFL is never going to sell tickets like Fast and Furious #19 (currently in their largest auditorium), and I get the business side, but it just ends up frustrating and not worthwhile on that postage stamp screen.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
View attachment 18448
My Fair Lady 002.JPG

So many memories.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
bryan4999 said:
Even if it is a quality DCP, my local theater that screens the fathom events always plays it in their smallest auditorium, which seems to me hardly larger than my projector's image at home. They do have one really nice size theater, but it is always reserved for the latest blockbuster. I'm sure that in this day and age MFL is never going to sell tickets like Fast and Furious #19 (currently in their largest auditorium), and I get the business side, but it just ends up frustrating and not worthwhile on that postage stamp screen.

I'm afraid that your mention of the Fast & Furious series (or is the latest one just known as Furious 7 now?) might have lit my fuse to launch into a late night rant here. I'm sure that most of our HTF members must have seen the ludicrous trailer for the latest Furious film where a muscle car crashes out of the side of a glass skyscraper about 90 stories up, flys through the air and enters another skyscraper by crashing through the side of it. And this is the kind of nonsense that makes for blockbusters of monstrous proportions these days. At least when movies like 1985's Back To The Future and 1982's ET were the biggest blockbusters of their respective years, audiences were being served something that had both intelligence and heart. But when we watched Man of Steel on Blu-ray, for example, I couldn't believe how a movie with such a promising start just deteriorated to a long boring climax that merely consisted of building after building being demolished in a supposedly exciting showdown with the villain. And I bet that when the new Avengers hits theaters on May 1st, once again audiences will be treated to a final battle where multiple skyscrapers are blown away.

But I know this thread is supposed to be about My Fair Lady, so what I would like to say is that at least if you compare MFL to ridiculous crap like the Furious movies, characters suddenly bursting into song in My Fair Lady actually seem like examples of real life, compared to the ridiculous garbage that is being dumped on audiences each year now from about April all the way til the fall.

I just have one question for my fellow members: Do any of you folks hold out any real hope that audiences will finally grow tired of seeing cars and comic book super heroes smashing through buildings? Because, to me, this nonsense only seems to be getting more prevalent. Surely, Hollywood, as it proved with movies like Back To The Future, can be a lot more creative than it has shown, lately.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Boone said:
I just have one question for my fellow members: Do any of you folks hold out any real hope that audiences will finally grow tired of seeing cars and comic book super heroes smashing through buildings?
No because, in general, audiences always want more. I saw the first two Fast And The Furious movies and thought they were terrible and I've seen all the Marvel movies once (they're OK but I don't even feel a need to see them a second time) but I think a lot of it has to do with the age of the viewer. If you or I were 13 watching those movies today, we'd probably love them and in 25 years, we'd be griping that whatever was new wasn't as good as the old days of F&F and the Marvel movies. I'm sure that movies that I grew up loving like Star Wars or Jaws or Raiders Of The Lost Ark or Back To The Future were thought as 'not as good as the old days' or just passable or total junk to many people who were kids in the 1950's or 1960's.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Mike Boone said:
I just have one question for my fellow members: Do any of you folks hold out any real hope that audiences will finally grow tired of seeing cars and comic book super heroes smashing through buildings? Because, to me, this nonsense only seems to be getting more prevalent. Surely, Hollywood, as it proved with movies like Back To The Future, can be a lot more creative than it has shown, lately.

As long as those films keep making hundreds of millions of dollars, they will remain prevalent. It's the USA, and there doesn't seem to be any 'growing tired' of it. Those films are not aimed at 40, 50, 60 year olds. Thankfully there are other types of films being released, such as The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game etc.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Personally, I enjoy some of those movies as well. Part of the issue is that the super hero and LOTR genre movies just couldn't be done properly until the CGI capabilities and cost/budgets could support it. They can now and have become popular for it and are big money earners that I can't see things changing until the majority either get bored with it or the CGI wears thin. Movies of all era's have had their good and their bad. Movies overly based on gimmick's will wear thin after a while, but not all CGI movies are just gimmick laden.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
Thankfully there are other types of films being released, such as The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game etc.
Yeah, I see movies on both ends of the spectrum and if I had to choose, I'd rather see a movie where people talk to each other over blow stuff up. That being said, I'm still happy when a fun blockbuster like Guardians Of The Galaxy comes down the pike (even if I don't go crazy for it like I would have if I was a kid). It's movies like that that keep me from giving up on summer movies all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks