1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Chuck Pennington, Aug 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Who are the ones who sing "live" without fireworks and visual spectaculars behind them? They will be your answer. One who can: Barry Manilow. Another: Michael Bublé. There are others.

MatthewA likes this.
  2. AshJW

AshJW Screenwriter

Thomas
    Luckily that Kate Bush is not to be considered as a modern singer. So I will hopefully see and hear her in two weeks in a Real Live performance. ;)

SAhmed and Will Krupp like this.
  3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Holy crap this thread is nuts. I saw info about the real thing posted to another forum early last week about the Apu trilogy. I went through the rest of the site and was excited about news for silent frame rate dcp standards being developed and that my fair lady was being worked on. I was going to start a thread about both last week before the conference but didn't because I was on my phone and found cutting and pasting links and text to tapatalk too much of a hassle, then I forgot about it. Good thing I didnt, apparently I would have been crucified for it.

4. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Nah. Drawn and quartered maybe, or perhaps guillotined, but crucifixion is so first century!

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Chuck's already been signed up for the new TV reality show based on the Hunger Games.* :lol:

*Rated TV-MA, sub-rating V.

ManW_TheUncool and Yorkshire like this.
  6. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

I can handle it. :)

Mark Walker likes this.
  7. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    THANKS CHUCK for bringing us this exciting news, which has grown more exciting every day I open up and read this thread.
    AND THANKS ROBERT for confirming that indeed, we are going to be very excited and very satisfied!
    This is, for me, one of the most exciting threads this forum has carried for ages.

Mark Walker likes this.
  8. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

lar
    How about showing us a screenshot.

9. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

tis a sinful generation that seeketh a sign ...

10. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

image. image. image.

11. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

lar
  12. Michael1

Michael1 Stunt Coordinator

Michael Portantiere
    "I work in the recording industry and we are able to fix a singer voice. It's not just pitch that can be fixed with Auto Tune. There are other ways - fixing the lenght of notes and the tonal quality. A lot of Hepburn's singing is fine. The higher notes would require work and maybe some dubbing. Plus unlike 1994 when her tracks were first attached to the film, digitally we can lenghten the notes to match her mouth in the film and present a cleaner and smoother performance."

I don't agree that a lot of Hepburn's singing on the MFL tracks is "fine." I do understand that the length of notes can be shortened or extended by modern technology, but I'm less sure that the "tonal quality" of a voice can be "fixed." And even if that is true, it would involve altering the voice so drastically that it would be completely dishonest and there would be no point to it, in my opinion.

13. Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot Agent

Ryan
    Yes, but probably not to the extent that it has needed restoration since it has been in CBS' hands all these years.
    After watching the 1994 documentary on that restoration, I was appalled at how bad the condition of the negative was.
    I cannot imagine that Warner Bros would have let it get to that state had they retained the rights to the film all these years.

14. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Have you heard the raw tracks? The vocals on the laser disc/DVD/Blu-ray weren't true. They were edited to match her mouth and she sounds awful. "Show Me" was a real problem. Her raw tracks to "Loverly" are lovely and she is fine with much of "I Could Have Danced All Night" and " Without You"

You would be surprised how good she would sound with just a little editing and a little voice alteration.

15. Michael1

Michael1 Stunt Coordinator

Michael Portantiere
    "Have you heard the raw tracks? The vocals on the laser disc/DVD/Blu-ray weren't true. They were edited to match her mouth and she sounds awful. 'Show Me' was a real problem. Her raw tracks to 'Loverly' are lovely and she is fine with much of 'I Could Have Danced All Night' and 'Without You.' You would be surprised how good she would sound with just a little editing and a little voice alteration."

Sorry, I don't understand this at all. Even if it's true that someone took the time to edit Hepburn's vocals to match her lip-synch in the film, that wouldn't affect the QUALITY of her voice, which in my opinion is not at all acceptable for this music.

16. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

Great news! Any chance they might go back to the film's poster art for the cover?

WilliamMcK, Ryan Talbot and SAhmed like this.
  17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I remember watching the halftime show of a college football bowl game a few years ago. Some pop singer (can't remember who, as I do not follow pop music) was the "entertainer" and attempted to sing live, as this was soon after some controversy regarding entertainers lip synching during supposedly live performances. She sounded like someone was strangling a cat, and was booed loudly by the very large crowd.

18. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    I believe Warner Bros. has the Bluray rights to MY FAIR LADY and will do a 50th anniversary box set this fall along the lines of THE NUTTY PROFESSOR and BEN HUR sets. It should make everyone very happy. Warner Bros. is (IMHO) the best game in town when it comes to Bluray treatment of classics.

SAhmed and Ryan Talbot like this.
  19. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

Although Nixon is certainly technically proficient, I find her tone, expressiveness, and overall artistry leave a lot to be desired, especially for the very emotional role of Eliza. IMHO, her singing is one of the weakest links in the film. (And it doesn't help that that same voice is in West Side Story and The King and I coming out of different, though each lovely in its own way, mouths.)

20. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    My fantasy wish would be to get ALL of the Audrey Hepburn vocals and get them integrated into the film on an alternate track -- that we have the option of watching the film that way. I actually think the Audrey vocal on WOULDN'T IT BE LOVERLY is appropriate for that point in the film. However, they do need Marni on SHOW ME and I COULD HAVE DANCED ALL NIGHT! I love how on the Paramount Bluray, it looks as if someone has opened the side exit door to the theatre and is letting sunlight from the parking lot in on some scenes. Other than that, I am very happy with that Bluray. It also has all the great supplemental content. But I hate the artwork on the cover. Why oh why can't they use the original beautiful artwork from 1964!

Everett S. likes this.