What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Robert Harris said:
Final touches still going in. It will be a safe purchase.

A very safe purchase.

RAH
You know what I always wanted to ask you; do stereo masters for the underscoring still exist? Also, would there be a possibility of a music-only track, or an alternate track (or extras) that include Audrey Hepburn's original vocals like on the LD? Thanks for doing this, by the way!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Final touches still going in. It will be a safe purchase. A very safe purchase. RAH
That'll be the day!I am looking forward to another large format movie that looks the way that it should on Blu-ray and I am especially looking forward to the colors looking after recent disappointments with other titles.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I hope someone can restore Audrey Hepburn's singing voice. The laserdisc gave you the option to hear the film with Audrey singing or Marni Nixon.

Many of Audrey's vocals can be heard on the web and with some digital help from Auto Tune she would sound fine. Audrey's voice was charming, though less than polished, but still it would be nice to have the choice

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ryan Talbot said:
This news is SO AWESOME!I have been saying since the beginning of this year that "My Fair Lady" needed a touchup on the 1994 restoration so that it actually looks good on Blu-Ray, and it looks like that is actually going to happen.But does anyone actually believe that CBS has completely financed and will completely distribute the film themselves?I think they're splitting the costs and profits with Warner Bros, cause out of all the major studios, WB does the best job of restoring films.Plus WB will be a lot more willing to put together a wonderful retail package as well.
I think it will still be a BR through Paramount. Remember Murdock is still ticked off at Warner's for not taking Fox's buy out offer.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Isn't it nice to actually be talking about this film in a thread that's actually about it?
GMpasqua said:
I hope someone can restore Audrey Hepburn's singing voice. The laserdisc gave you the option to hear the film with Audrey singing or Marni Nixon.

Many of Audrey's vocals can be heard on the web and with some digital help from Auto Tune she would sound fine. Audrey's voice was charming, though less than polished, but still it would be nice to have the choice
I've heard the one of "I Could Have Danced All Night," and it sounds like it was just a piano track, unlike the others. How were they able to get the two vocal tracks that were on the laserdisc synced up with the orchestra without Marni Nixon's vocals? Based on what RAH said in the "More Loverly Than Ever" documentary, as well as the expanded CD soundtrack that took cues directly off the film soundtrack (but somehow managed to find one that was not in the film), I assume they don't have separate music tracks.

One thing about the film that has always struck me as weird is when Marni comes in on "The Rain in Spain." She sounds doubletracked a la Lesley Gore or Annette Funicello, and this is the only spot in the film where it sounds like that.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
"Many of Audrey's vocals can be heard on the web and with some digital help from Auto Tune she would sound fine."

I disagree. Hepburn sounds fine singing "Moon River" in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S and "How Long Has This Been Going On?" in FUNNY FACE, and her charm helps carry those vocals, but most of the MY FAIR LADY score was well beyond her capabilities. Also, Marni Nixon has said she feels it was a great disservice to Hepburn that her vocal tracks for this movie have been made public, because they really were more or less "first draft" vocals. If they had decided to use her real singing voice throughout the completed film, she would have redone them all, and much more care would have been taken to get them to sound good.

P.S. I don't think Auto Tune would have helped because, as I recall, Hepburn's singing on her tracks isn't off pitch. That isn't the problem.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
"Based on what RAH said in the 'More Loverly Than Ever' documentary, as well as the expanded CD soundtrack that took cues directly off the film soundtrack (but somehow managed to find one that was not in the film), I assume they don't have separate music tracks."

Interesting! Which track on the expanded CD soundtrack is actually in the film?

"One thing about the film that has always struck me as weird is when Marni comes in on 'The Rain in Spain.' She sounds doubletracked a la Lesley Gore or Annette Funicello, and this is the only spot in the film where it sounds like that."

I've never noticed that. Will have to give it another listen.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Audrey's pitch was fine; her difficulty was finding the necessary lung-power to carry her through the more demanding, sustained parts of Eliza's songs.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Michael1 said:
"Based on what RAH said in the 'More Loverly Than Ever' documentary, as well as the expanded CD soundtrack that took cues directly off the film soundtrack (but somehow managed to find one that was not in the film), I assume they don't have separate music tracks."

Interesting! Which track on the expanded CD soundtrack is actually in the film?
There's a longer version of the music that plays over "The End" credit, that plays over the scene where Eliza walks back in as Higgins is playing the record he made when she walked into his office.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ahollis said:
I think it will still be a BR through Paramount.
More specifically, wouldn't it be CBS? As a CBS property, it's assured that only Paramount will distribute it.

By the way, we haven't gotten any deep catalog blu-rays from CBS for quite a long while. I wonder why?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
classicmovieguy said:
Audrey's pitch was fine; her difficulty was finding the necessary lung-power to carry her through the more demanding, sustained parts of Eliza's songs.
Yes all those cigarettes didn't do her any favours (but then Frank Sinatra seems to get away with it).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JoHud said:
More specifically, wouldn't it be CBS? As a CBS property, it's assured that only Paramount will distribute it.By the way, we haven't gotten any deep catalog blu-rays from CBS for quite a long while. I wonder why?
My statement "BR through Paramount" meant distributed by Paramount.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Michael1 said:
"Many of Audrey's vocals can be heard on the web and with some digital help from Auto Tune she would sound fine."

I disagree. Hepburn sounds fine singing "Moon River" in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S and "How Long Has This Been Going On?" in FUNNY FACE, and her charm helps carry those vocals, but most of the MY FAIR LADY score was well beyond her capabilities. Also, Marni Nixon has said she feels it was a great disservice to Hepburn that her vocal tracks for this movie have been made public, because they really were more or less "first draft" vocals. If they had decided to use her real singing voice throughout the completed film, she would have redone them all, and much more care would have been taken to get them to sound good.

P.S. I don't think Auto Tune would have helped because, as I recall, Hepburn's singing on her tracks isn't off pitch. That isn't the problem.
I work in the recording industry and we are able to fix a singer voice. It's not just pitch that can be fixed with Auto Tune. There are other ways - fixing the lenght of notes and the tonal quality. A lot of Hepburn's singing is fine. The higher notes would require work and maybe some dubbing. Plus unlike 1994 when her tracks were first attached to the film, digitally we can lenghten the notes to match her mouth in the film and present a cleaner and smoother performance

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
GMpasqua said:
I work in the recording industry and we are able to fix a singer voice.
That does makes me wonder just how many modern singers can actually sing live without the aid of digital technology.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
With the distribution of MFL as others have pointed out it is owned by CBS and they distribute thru Paramount... but this could be a what if situation because we don't know all the details... but what it WB got together with CBS when the original BLU was released and maybe got involved with helping with the restoration and maybe struck a deal to distribute an upcoming release. It is possible. I doubt the work that was done for the new master was cheap.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Fotokem did the work, not Warner. Hard to imagine that part of the original deal was for the rights to the film were to revert back to CBS after a number of years.Which makes me wonder: if the rights had stayed with Warner along with the elements, would it have needed such restoration?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks