What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
haineshisway said:
But I'm not sure how anyone can watch Splendor in the Grass or Daisy Clover and not find her a good actress.
Hear, Hear!!

I find her so good in SPLENDOR that it's actually uncomfortable to watch.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Billy Batson said:
Up to a few years ago I always thought it was Natalie Wood's voice singing The Sweetheart Tree in The Great Race (& I sort of wish I still did), whoever sung it did it really well, it sounded so much like Ms Wood. The Blu-ray in a couple of weeks!
It was Jackie Ward who also dubbed for Natalie in Inside Daisy Clover. The soundtrack CD of Inside Daisy Clover has all of Natalie's attempts at singing the songs in the film (along with a terrific song that got cut). They were right to dub her, but I do love hearing her try.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
GMpasqua said:
It can be done, and you did it for the laserdisc and that was before digital editing.much has advanced since then. I've made poor singers sound fine in the recording studio after they left for the day. Audrey can not hit every high note but some more of her voice could be used as an alternate track for those who want a truer experience (Marni's voice seems wrong coming out of Hepburn's mouth)

There are crude examples of her singing the score on the web and yes she would need help but much more of her voice could be used and it can be done - she will never sound like Marni nixon or Julie Andrews, but then again she shouldn't. A creative engineer could combine her voice with some of Marni's and come up with an decent performance. Digital tricks didn't exist in 1963 or else some would have been used, like they were used in the film of "Chicago" THe dubbing has always been a sore aspect of the film.

Those who don't want to listen don't have to, it's just an option
It's arguable that some more of Audrey Hepburn's singing voice could have been used in the final film. But you are second guessing the filmmakers, who decided the only places they could use Hepburn's voice and have it appear to match up with Audrey's, rather than seem jarring, are the sections I mentioned. Again, if you have to do tremendous amounts of work on a raw vocal to make it sound good, one could argue that's even more dishonest than wholesale dubbing.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
GMpasqua said:
You mean the ones who didn't cast Julie Andrews?
:) I'm not saying Audrey should have gotten the part over Julie, but we all know why she did. And once that decision was made, at least they were smart enough to realize that almost all of the score was beyond Audrey's capabilities.

I used to think it might have been interesting if they had taken the keys down for "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" and the center part of "Just You Wait" and then used Audrey's voice for all of those songs, switching to Marni's singing voice for the rest of the songs, after Eliza's transformation -- i.e., the switch from an untrained voice to a trained one. But I think the change would have been too jarring.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The keys were taken down for Audrey already. And when it was clear they needed Marni to sing almost all of the score, she sang them in Audrey's lowered keys, not actually the most suitable for her much higher voice.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JohnMor said:
And of course, Marni did a spectacular job of dubbing Lucille Ball in Mame. People still swear that's Lucy singing! :P
Just waiting for this new fact to show up on another site somewhere. That particular Goldwyn girl needed no vocal help.

RAH

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Matt Hough said:
The keys were taken down for Audrey already. And when it was clear they needed Marni to sing almost all of the score, she sang them in Audrey's lowered keys, not actually the most suitable for her much higher voice.
All true. What I meant was, I think Audrey probably could have done a fine job with "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" if the key had been taken down even a little further. But we'll never know.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Michael1 said:
All true. What I meant was, I think Audrey probably could have done a fine job with "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" if the key had been taken down even a little further. But we'll never know.
I wonder how she would have reacted to hearing her own vocals uncovered again had she lived to see the restoration.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Billy Batson said:
Up to a few years ago I always thought it was Natalie Wood's voice singing The Sweetheart Tree in The Great Race (& I sort of wish I still did), whoever sung it did it really well, it sounded so much like Ms Wood. The Blu-ray in a couple of weeks!
Jackie Ward provided Natalie's singing for "The Great Race", as well as for "Inside Daisy Clover". Here is Natalie's own voice with one of the "Daisy Clover" songs:

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Let's not forget Lisa Kirk's great dubbing for Rosalind Russell in "GYPSY"

There was speculation that Marni Nixon dubbed for Natalie Wood in that film, but I'm pretty sure that Natalie did her own singing.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Marni's voice is nothing like the singing voice that comes out of that character's mouth in GYPSY. Yes, pretty positive that's Natalie.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
According to the dubbers list that was posted earlier today (see Rick Thompson above) Marni Nixon did "partial" singing for Natalie Wood. Don't know how accurate that list is, but it was pretty interesting to look at. Haven't seen the movie in a while. Could it be the song Little Lamb or When Mama Gets Married? I agree she kind of talk/sang Let Me Entertain You.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks