What's new

Apple TV+ My Fair Lady 4K Dolby Vision coming to iTunes on November 24 2020! (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You know I'm not a big musical fan so you can see I haven't even watched my 2015 BD. This movie came out when I was a kid so I've resisted watching it from beginning to end. It was the same with The Sound of Music, but I finally did watch it as an adult and liked that movie very much so today. Anyhow, one day I need to rectify that My Fair Lady situation, but I'm more likely to do so if it's in 4K/Dolby Vision.
I’d suggest that you sample the 2015 before streaming.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Here's something interesting from last year:

A bit of yellow journalism.

This is the scan that we did in 2015. In 8k.

We finished as 4k files, as there’s no viable purpose for 8k outside of bragging rights.

The NHK version is simply all of our original files (we saved them all to tape) and color, cleaned and output as 8k.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hope there will be a 4k release! I can't friggin play the glorious 50th Anniversary disc through my new TV!! Pretty crazy but it's true.
Speaking of which did Mr Harris remove a shadow from one of the crew members in the final scene of the film? Once seen it can't be unseen. But it is no longer there. Maybe this has been discussed already?
Like Carr's ankle bandage in Sixteen going on Seventeen which I never saw but she claimed was digitally removed.
I thought of this today watching Funny Girl when for the first time I noticed a crew member's shadow on the 'Baltimore' wharf when Omar! says goodbye to Barbra! before leaving to play cards on the Berengaria.
There is also schmutz on the shoulder of her white dress which nobody seems to have caught before filming.
I have yet to find the car in the bluray of Oklahoma! but I've read it is there.
He did not remove the shadow - which belonged to Gene Allen.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well without having a physical media discussion. I’ve waited all day as this is my favorite movie. I’ve owned the laserdisc, both DVD’s, and both blu rays. And I can honestly say this is the most detailed and gorgeous I have ever seen the film. The fabric of the clothing, the upholstery of the furniture. Immense detail. Would love to know what Mr. Harris thinks.
It’s based upon the 4k data files. Same as all DCPs and 4k streaming. There are, however, two versions of the DCP. One with data throughput at 250 mb/s, and another at 500, which is better for larger screens.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I sampled the streaming version and it looks and sounds stunning on my LG OLED. Worth noting that the restoration credits that appeared in earlier versions (with the exit music playing in the background) have been deleted and replaced by the statement that "Paramount Pictures has made a High Dynamic Range version on [?] this film based on the efforts of Robert Harris, Fotokem, Audio Mechanics and the many others who helped with the original restoration." Disappointing to see that the "many others" in addition to the estimable Robert Harris who were originally credited are no longer credited, and that no one apparently bothered to proof read the statement. And why was the acknowledgement limited to those involved in the original restoration from the early 90s?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I sampled the streaming version and it looks and sounds stunning on my LG OLED. Worth noting that the restoration credits that appeared in earlier versions (with the exit music playing in the background) have been deleted and replaced by the statement that "Paramount Pictures has made a High Dynamic Range version on [?] this film based on the efforts of Robert Harris, Fotokem, Audio Mechanics and the many others who helped with the original restoration." Disappointing to see that the "many others" in addition to the estimable Robert Harris who were originally credited are no longer credited, and that no one apparently bothered to proof read the statement. And why was the acknowledgement limited to those involved in the original restoration from the early 90s?
I'm unable to comment on the replaced credits, but I've examined the streaming version on three different platforms, and the Dolby Vision seems to have removed details in blacks - something that many people worked very hard to attain.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
He was not consulted.
One can only hope; for their sake and the sake of 2015; that you left behind some fool-proof files for the future; akin to how Gordon Willis Willi-cized his negs for the labs.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes really bizarre not conferring with Mr. Harris.

And now I know why Cecil referred to Gene as 'the policeman's son.' He got himself into the final shot!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not in the digital age. It's the wild, wild west.
“Cup, cup, cup, cup;
Of, of, of, of....”

The lessons and the drill are never-ending; but hopefully someone will be wise enough to confer with the source archivist of MFL, before locking it all in.

So, on this day of “Thanks” and of “Giving”, I propose a toast to the rarest of few who - at their utmost - continue to pursue the perfections of film preservation; over and over and over, again.
:cheers:

Last edited:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm unable to comment on the replaced credits, but I've examined the streaming version on three different platforms, and the Dolby Vision seems to have removed details in blacks - something that many people worked very hard to attain.

Disappointing but not surprising. Robert, I don't know if you have an Apple TV, but if so, it can be set to 4KSDR, possibly eliminating the crushed blacks.

I'm sure we're all very interested in any other observations you have regarding this 4K compared to the Blu.

Thanks as always

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CDA brought up a good point, what type of streaming device are you using?

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Why doesn’t Apple update the size specs to 4K or am I not understanding something? I checked a few titles and same thing.
ED6E9ED3-3C3C-4E41-990E-E55A5D905A28.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks