What's new

Apple TV+ My Fair Lady 4K Dolby Vision coming to iTunes on November 24 2020! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you enjoy plays, you may have a greater pay-off of rediscovery and appreciation for “My Fair Lady”;as both musical and film; were you to first read George Bernard Shaw’s source work of “Pygmalion”. It all began there, and the challenge for Alan Jay Lerner was to create a lyric and language that would organically match the verse of its original author; who also won an Oscar in 1938 for his Best Adapted Screenplay of the same work. A tall order for Mr. Lerner; and one of seamless genius.
It is not about "My Fair Lady" perse. I'm just not a big musical fan and I was worse about it when I was a kid back in 1964. Back then I was only interested in westerns, war & horror films, some comedies and something like "Goldfinger" that I saw at my neighborhood theater without my parents.:blush: As I entered my adolescent years, I expanded my film taste for dramas, film noir/crime films, but still not many musicals. Today, I, at least watch some musicals from time to time. Some of them are among my favorite films of all-time. I will buy this 4K digital once it meets my price point.

Reactions: PMF

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Terrific news on one of my all-time favourite films! While I'd prefer a physical release, I will definitely purchase the 4K digital.

1604425864990.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wasn't aware that Mr. Harris had/has any involvement in the 4K release of MFL.
It would seemingly be far too important; if not historically crucial; for Mr. Harris not to be somewhere in the wings.

I believe his first restoration of “My Fair Lady” had its premiere in 1993; as I saw it theatrically during the Toronto Film Festival.

Without facts at my fingertips, I believe the 2015 BD had marked his second restoration of “My Fair Lady”; which was inclusive of the 6-Track Sound Design and it’s discovery; plus his technical conferences with the late Gordon Willis, which answered the color palate mystery of the Ascot scene and Eliza’s whiter dress in juxtaposition to the other costumed attendees at the race.

My surmising of Mr. Harris and the “My Fair Lady” transfer to the 4K/UHD format is strictly something that comes from a collective gut feeling without nary a known current-day fact; short of his quarter century of intimate knowledge and invested time spent between these two said restorations. After all, did not other studios confer with Mr. Harris over the 4K/UHD discs for “Lawrence of Arabia”, “Rear Window”, “Vertigo” and “Spartacus”? Yes, I do believe that I had read of these things to be so. But for the sake of clarity and all preventions of Internet misinformation; I would have no issue if anyone were to correct me, were I to be in error.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
AFAIK it's done during the mastering process using the digital scan data from the restoration that Mr. Harris worked on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I have no clue. I just figured they use the raw 4k scan and re-scan it with the enhancements. However, this kind of thing is out of my paygrade.

Maybe it'll be like Blade Runner 2049 and not really make substantive use of HDR, which is probably just as well...

Might still benefit noticeably from expanded color space of the 4K format though...

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I never agreed with that youtuber, he's always obsessed with how bright the highlights are with HDR without regard to whether the production needs/should have highlights that bright. Especially with catalogue titles excessive HDR will dramatically change the look of the film.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I never agreed with that youtuber, he's always obsessed with how bright the highlights are with HDR without regard to whether the production needs/should have highlights that bright. Especially with catalogue titles excessive HDR will dramatically change the look of the film.

Not sure he's saying any of those 4K releases should have such "excessive HDR" where unwarranted (and breaks from original filmmaker intent). Rather, he seems to be pointing out a prevalent practice of false advertising that claims to use HDR, but aren't meaningfully doing so.

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only problem is that studios probably wouldn't release catalogue titles if they couldn't put the HDR sticker on it and if they used it enough to be meaningful it would effect the director's intended look of the film.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The only problem is that studios probably wouldn't release catalogue titles if they couldn't put the HDR sticker on it and if they used it enough to be meaningful it would effect the director's intended look of the film.
One would think that the initials of MFL should still loom larger over that of HDR.:cool:

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Now that MFL is controlled by Paramount, a 4K digital may be the only option, much like their 4k digital only release of War Of The Worlds.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I hope there will be a 4k release! I can't friggin play the glorious 50th Anniversary disc through my new TV!! Pretty crazy but it's true.
Speaking of which did Mr Harris remove a shadow from one of the crew members in the final scene of the film? Once seen it can't be unseen. But it is no longer there. Maybe this has been discussed already?
Like Carr's ankle bandage in Sixteen going on Seventeen which I never saw but she claimed was digitally removed.
I thought of this today watching Funny Girl when for the first time I noticed a crew member's shadow on the 'Baltimore' wharf when Omar! says goodbye to Barbra! before leaving to play cards on the Berengaria.
There is also schmutz on the shoulder of her white dress which nobody seems to have caught before filming.
I have yet to find the car in the bluray of Oklahoma! but I've read it is there.

• Insightful

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hope a 4K disc is also near...

In the meantime, hope it shows up in 4K on CBS All Access or maybe HBO Max(?)...

_Man_

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I hope there will be a 4k release! I can't friggin play the glorious 50th Anniversary disc through my new TV!! Pretty crazy but it's true.
Speaking of which did Mr Harris remove a shadow from one of the crew members in the final scene of the film? Once seen it can't be unseen. But it is no longer there. Maybe this has been discussed already?
Like Carr's ankle bandage in Sixteen going on Seventeen which I never saw but she claimed was digitally removed.
I thought of this today watching Funny Girl when for the first time I noticed a crew member's shadow on the 'Baltimore' wharf when Omar! says goodbye to Barbra! before leaving to play cards on the Berengaria.
There is also schmutz on the shoulder of her white dress which nobody seems to have caught before filming.
I have yet to find the car in the bluray of Oklahoma! but I've read it is there.
Another flub in FUNNY GIRL is during the "I'm the Greatest Star" number when she returns to the alley, you can clearly see in the lower left hand side of the screen someone's hands with a still camera for about a second. I guess they kept it in as who would DARE to look at anything but La Babs? In HELLO DOLLY! during the credits as the camera tracks down the railway to the right of the screen you can see an abandoned car. Not sure how that got missed. It is around the point where Walter Mathau's name is displayed. I will have to check my MFL disc but I have noticed that shadow many times. I had always thought it was supposed to be Hepburn's shadow as she entered the room but it appears BEFORE she enters. Oh well --- too late to go on.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is a thread about My Fair Lady making its 4K debut, NOT a thread about flubs and continuity errors. :(

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well I do hope Mr. Harris responds about digitally taking out the shadow in the final scene for the 50th Anniversary edition. Looks like I'm not the only one who used to see it.

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Well without having a physical media discussion. I’ve waited all day as this is my favorite movie. I’ve owned the laserdisc, both DVD’s, and both blu rays. And I can honestly say this is the most detailed and gorgeous I have ever seen the film. The fabric of the clothing, the upholstery of the furniture. Immense detail. Would love to know what Mr. Harris thinks.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well without having a physical media discussion. I’ve waited all day as this is my favorite movie. I’ve owned the laserdisc, both DVD’s, and both blu rays. And I can honestly say this is the most detailed and gorgeous I have ever seen the film. The fabric of the clothing, the upholstery of the furniture. Immense detail. Would love to know what Mr. Harris thinks.

I sampled a few scenes and completely agree. It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous... a revelation! I can't wait to watch it from beginning to end this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks