What's new

Apple TV+ My Fair Lady 4K Dolby Vision coming to iTunes on November 24 2020! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The BD release has been criticized quite a bit.

I just want to be sure I have this right...

The initial BD release was a mess. However, there was a second corrected release a few years later.

Is that one being criticized as well?

I am all in on this 4k digital release, but it does beg the question as to whether a disc release isn't far behind.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just want to be sure I have this right...

The initial BD release was a mess. However, there was a second corrected release a few years later.

Is that one being criticized as well?

I am all in on this 4k digital release, but it does beg the question as to whether a disc release isn't far behind.
I didn't' even know there was a corrected release. I have the 2015 BD release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
2015 IS the re-do which was approved by RAH. The 2011 Blu-ray was the botched release that was done without RAH’s participation.
You know I'm not a big musical fan so you can see I haven't even watched my 2015 BD. This movie came out when I was a kid so I've resisted watching it from beginning to end. It was the same with The Sound of Music, but I finally did watch it as an adult and liked that movie very much so today. Anyhow, one day I need to rectify that My Fair Lady situation, but I'm more likely to do so if it's in 4K/Dolby Vision.

Reactions: PMF

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
MY FAIR LADY has never been released in any capacity streaming. I have the newest blu ray and it is stunning . I am looking forward to 4K on iTunes on November 24th. I wish all the films that were shot in 70mm were available in 4K restorations.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
One of my favorite stories concerning the 2015 BD edition of “My Fair Lady” was of how; if memory is serving me correctly; at the 11th hour of its originally scheduled release, the Oscar winning 6-Track sound design - not heard since the 1964 Roadshow presentation - was found, unearthed and post-haste utilized.

News of this discovery was thrilling, to say the very least. And, my gosh, those added delays were well worth the extended wait. Only at HTF would I be able to find such like-minded individuals who could possibly understand why a guy like me could get a wave of chills and goosebumps over finally hearing a sound design, not heard since I was a child.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You know I'm not a big musical fan so you can see I haven't even watched my 2015 BD. This movie came out when I was a kid so I've resisted watching it from beginning to end. It was the same with The Sound of Music, but I finally did watch it as an adult and liked that movie very much so today. Anyhow, one day I need to rectify that My Fair Lady situation, but I'm more likely to do so if it's in 4K/Dolby Vision.
If you enjoy plays, you may have a greater pay-off of rediscovery and appreciation for “My Fair Lady”;as both musical and film; were you to first read George Bernard Shaw’s source work of “Pygmalion”. It all began there, and the challenge for Alan Jay Lerner was to create a lyric and language that would organically match the verse of its original author; who also won an Oscar in 1938 for his Best Adapted Screenplay of the same work. A tall order for Mr. Lerner; and one of seamless genius.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
All for a solid 4K release... very preferably on disc, not just digital, but a tad skeptical of the Dolby Vision (or even HDR10) use/branding. Hope there's no weird, revisionist, funny business w/ the HDR processing...

_Man_

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
All for a solid 4K release... very preferably on disc, not just digital, but a tad skeptical of the Dolby Vision (or even HDR10) use/branding. Hope there's no weird, revisionist, funny business w/ the HDR processing...

_Man_
Not with Robert A. Harris on watch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wasn't aware that Mr. Harris had/has any involvement in the 4K release of MFL.

Oh he sure did! After the botched job on the initial BD release, Harris was brought on to fix it for the second.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh he sure did! After the botched job on the initial BD release, Harris was brought on to fix it for the second.

I'm not talking about the 2015 Blu-ray release Ron, I'm talking about the upcoming 4K streaming service release. For example, will Robert be involved in managing the application of HDR/DV on this?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not talking about the 2015 Blu-ray release Ron. I'm talking about the upcoming 4K streaming service release.

Oh, apologies. I don't know if he was or not. I just figured a 4k scan was done so wouldn't they be using the same transfer?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HDR and Dolby Vision are not a part of the 4K scan that Mr. Harris was involved with.

Okay, maybe I misunderstand the process, but isn't that something that can be enhanced using the existing transfer?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Okay, maybe I misunderstand the process, but isn't that something that can be enhanced using the existing transfer?

AFAIK it's done during the mastering process using the digital scan data from the restoration that Mr. Harris worked on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
AFAIK it's done during the mastering process using the digital scan data from the restoration that Mr. Harris worked on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I have no clue. I just figured they use the raw 4k scan and re-scan it with the enhancements. However, this kind of thing is out of my paygrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks