My experiences with the Sanyo Z1

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob||Kur||, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Rob||Kur||

Rob||Kur|| Stunt Coordinator

I found this baby new on eBay from the following merchant:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070786595&category=48654

I have absolutely NO regrets buying this unit. I got it shipped to my door for $1140. I must say it's the more cost effective purchase I've ever made for my home theater since 1992.

I've previously had a 27" RCA, 32" Sony Trinitron, and a 53" Sony Hi-Scan (480p). This absolutely blows them all away, and on a plain wall! Not even a white wall, but a fairly reflective light green-grey semi-gloss. It still looks fantastic!

Little Nemo is breathtaking and it feels like my basement has turned into a cinema. To get a picture that large and vibrant from such a little price and unit is astounding.

So! To those of you considering an RPTV where living space would allow a projector... don't do it! Don't hesitate one bit to make the jump to FP. The only, and I mean only downside that I've had with mine is the picture during the daytime. However, it's still very acceptable and should improve when I get a dedicated screen.

I was a little skeptic, but now I have what a few of my friends have referred to as "the IMAX". All have been amazed by it and the price I paid.

GO GET ONE! [​IMG]

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have to agree 100 percent I love my 1HD projector[​IMG]

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I am right there with you.......superbowl party here we come....

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What size are you projecting?

5. Rob||Kur||

Rob||Kur|| Stunt Coordinator

Not sure, but it's pretty big. Certainly over 100".

6. John Perry

John Perry Extra

I got my z1 up and running just before Christmas when I completed our dedicated theater. I built the room for projection and painted the screen onto the wall. I used Glidden Misty Evening paint with a 110" diagonal measurement. I'm projecting slightly smaller, maybe 105". The result is stunning but a completely dark room is required for the best results. I don't think that I'd even consider this unit without total light control.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hey guys. How many hours have you racked on on your SE 1HD or Sanyo Z1 bulbs before they've died, if they have in fact died. Are you still going along on the original bulb?

How often do you [edit]clean[edit] the air filter? (I meant to ask how often you CLEAN the air filter, not change or replace it.

Do you have to leave it connected to power in order to keep the settings?

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Any of you guys have any feedback about your bulb life thus far? Other feedback as per above?

[​IMG]

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Mine is just a 800 hours I think and still going strong. I guess at this rate, I might upgrade before even replacing a bulb though I am hunting for a replacement bulb nowadays.
    As for the filter, I haven't changed it but have cleaned it a couple of times. Also, the Z1 is always connected to my AVR.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanx.

Is there a flicker tweak on the Z1 and/or 1HD like there is on the Panasonic PT-L/AE 200/300/500 and 700?

On the Panasonic, there is a service menu screen which allows you to adjust the amount of flicker on each the RED - GREEN and BLUE panels independently.