What's new

My experience with FP on a very tight budget (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I thought I would chime in here about my experience with my brand new x1. I know there are already tons of threads but I thought my experience might be of interest to someone with limited amounts of space and money.

Before a few of months ago I would not have believed I could add FP to my very humble setup. I have only been out of college for about 6 months and still live in my parents house. I had setup up small hometheater in my bedroom consisting of a 32 in rca tv, a 500 watt pioneer reciever and some fairly low end speakers. My room is a decent size, 10x15, but with a large desk, computer, bed and other furniture this hometheater was pushing the limits of this room. However with the popularity of the x1 and its low price for that much screen size the temptation was too great and I had to give it a try and boy was I impressed.

My setup is probably one of the most illconcieved yet it still works great. I have my seating directly in front of a shelf on which the x1 sits. To shoot the image above the existing 32 in tv on the white wall I had to put it on a high shelf and put a small book under the back of the x1 to tilt it down(I used the keystone to correct this).

Sitting 10 feet back I am watching a 6 1/2 foot wide image. The immersion factor is incredible and the resolution to my eyes looks better than my local crappy multiplex. The blacks could be a little deeper but they are about as good as the local theater if not better. This is all on a white wall with plenty of nicks and scratches so hopefully when I get a chance to build a screen I can improve on this.

The only problem is the rainbows which I definetly see though I didnt experience any eyestrain or headaches. My first movie I sat all the way through was Alien DC, and many of the white lights in the ship against black background produced slight rainbows. However they did not distract me and I have a feeling if I hadnt read all these threads prior I wouldnt care at all. However I did find the credit sequence to be very distracting, but this was not a big deal with me.

The x1 is by far the best value I have purchased for my hometheater. The total cost of all my equipment for this setup is about 1700. So if your on the fence about going the fp route I am proof it is doable in almost any room. And as far as rainbows which is the biggest negative with the x1, my belief is most people probably can see them, but most of those that complain are people that are willing to pay for the best and are not going to settle for less then perfect.

I just ordered the vesa adapter which I plan to use with my liteon 2001 and I plan to start building a screen next weekend. I'll reply again here once I have those things in.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congratulations. I for one am amazed at how far FP's cost has come down in the last 2 years. Very feasible.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Thanks for the info, Benson. I'm probably going to order one, but I've got a lot of construction work to finish first!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I got my X1 today from Circuit City - I had about 15 minutes to play with it before I had to take off for work. I just put it on the coffee table and tossed it up on the wall. It looked pretty good, but swathes of rainbows were visible when my eyes followed something across the screen. The whole screen rainbows out for a brief second if I look away (like at the dog running around) and look back.

BUT - I hadn't properly angled it, calibrated it, or anything. I heard on avsforum that the default presentation mode uses a clear segment on the color wheel (useful for brighter whites for Powerpoint :) ); that if you change it off of that mode it doesn't use the clear segment of the wheel, and reduces rainbows.

I still have to tweak it thus - plus, I'm still waiting on the progressive-to-vga adapter to ship from Infocus - hopefully using my Panny CP72 progressive scan via component will clean up some of the effects that I'm getting right now with S-video.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I'm having a great time with my new setup, but I still have some kinks to work out. I don't mind the light spill when using the projector in 16x9 mode, but since I am projecting the image high on the wall, some of the light spill is on the ceiling which I find slightly distracting.

I was going to use black felt to mask light spill when I build my screen, but I dont want to put it on the ceiling. Could I put some kind of masking directly on the lens? Or will this cause a problem with the amount of heat the lamp gives off?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
From what I read on AVsforum, masking the lens doesn't work - but you can apparently masking out farther before the screen. Like 3 ft out or so if I recall.

I didn't mind the light spill either - but the rainbows still drive me crazy. I'm looking into a return and picking up either an Optima H30 (with 4x RGBRGB wheel) or waiting for the upcoming Infocus 4805 (16:9, more lumens, 4x wheel, more inputs, tentatively 400 more dollars too, though).

I cranked up Mario Kart, Monkey Ball 2, etc last night on the screen and it was awesome (and I don't see rainbows since my eyes are focused on one or two places).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks