My expereince with the Sony SCD-C333es

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshS, Dec 11, 2001.

1. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,
    I posted a little while back that I had bought this player, I have had it now for about 5 days and have been anxious to give my thoughts.
    One thing though,I do not own any SACD material yet, except for the sampler that came with it, so this will be about red book cds only.
    I will try not to bore anyone with a long post so I'll just hit the main things that stood out to me.
    The build quality on this player is excellent, very solid. The transport is more stable than most changers I have seen.
    Right out of the box the sound was very good. A very wide soundstage, much wider than I was used to. I have been playing this thing for about 12 hours now since I have had it and I can tell that this machine gets better with age.
    The music that I have been listening to is:
    Rusted Root, When I woke
    Sting, Brand new day
    Miles Davis, Kind of blue
    Dido, No angel
    The Cranberrys, No need to argue
    As you can see, my tastes in music varies quite a bit.
    Today I recieved a pair of Silvercats from Catcables, I was using an old pair of Monster interconnects.
    After switching the cables and about two hours of listening, the bass got tighter, there seemed to be more air from voices and instruments. The background got blacker, I don't know if you know what I mean by this but there was a separation between the music and the background. ????. Anyway thats a good thing for me.
    I absolutly love this player, the ability to play music with accuracy and the conveince of a 5 disc changer. Oh, it also plays SACDs(coming soon, I hope).
    Hopefully with more time the player and the cables will open up even more.
    These thoughts are just that, my thoughts.
    I love the player[​IMG]
    I love the cables[​IMG]
    I love the wife for letting me buy the stuff I love[​IMG]
    Thanks for looking,
    Josh

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, glad to hear you are happy with the 'C333ES. I remember you writing awhile back that you would be getting one. I have one as well, and it is a great component in every respect. Now you need to get some SACDs. [​IMG] By the way, what were you using as a CD player before getting the 'C333ES? I'm just wondering how big a jump you made seeing as you were immediately impressed with the 'C333ES. I have a Pioneer Elite PD-65 in the same system as the 'C333ES, and the 'C333ES is noticeably better as a CD player. That's saying a lot since the PD-65 had long been regarded as a first-rate player at its price point when it was in production.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Josh,
    Congrats on a great player! I've had the 333ES since last November and I love it more every day.
    I don't know how much more $$ you're willing to spend for a marked improvement in sound on both CD and SACD--but head over to www.modwright.com and look at what Dan has to offer in the way of modifications to the player.
    You can spend as little or as much as you like and these mods are absolutely amazing--my 333ES sounds as good or better than a stock 777ES (I've tested it and would be more than happy to do it again) and I spent less than I would have had I bought the 777ES outright.
    The 333ES is a fantastic player out of the box, but if you really want an amazing improvement in performance--check out ModWright. [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, I have not had my 'C333ES modified as Ric has, but many people on Audio Asylum have had their SACD players modified by Dan Wright, Richard Kern, or Ric Schultz. People on the Hi-Rez Highway board on www.audioasylum.com can give you more information, including contact information, if you are interested. Just note that any of these modifications void the five-year warranty. I am intrigued by such modifications on my SACD players, but I don't like the idea of voiding the warranty. I just had the transport on a relatively new Sony ES minidisc deck fail the other day, which made me realize how important it is to have the warranty on my gear. Besides, my 'C333ES is in a mid-fi system, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference upon modification anyway.

5. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,
    Keith,
    Thanks for the comments. Hopefully santa will have some new software sitting under the tree this year[​IMG] As far as my old player: I was using my dvd player, a Toshiba 2109, not exactly a reference machine, but it filled the gap.
    I have listened to a friends Classe cdp.3 cd player for awile in my system and although it was a couple of months ago, I feel that the '333es is a better all around player.
    Ric,
    I have thought about the mods but voiding the warranty is not something I'd like to do. If the some of the mods can make it sound like the'777, then a friend of mine might be interested.
    This player has made my system much more enjoyable to listen to, before I wasn't very anxious to listen to a new cd, but now I can't wait to sit down and relax. My dedicated theater/music room makes the listening experience much more intimate.
    Thanks again guys,
    Josh

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, if the 'C333ES sounds better than the Classe CDP .3, that's saying a lot. Maybe you can do a side-by-side comparison?

7. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

I don't want to say that that the sony is a better player but I think that the sony plays a wider variety of music better than the classe. I think that with jazz and vocal music the classe would better the sony. The sony will play more upbeat music, ie pop, rock, modern music with more authority than the classe.

I almost bought the classe from my friend but didn't have the money at the time. He traded it for a classe cdp1, which he feels is a better player.

My friend also bought the '333es and told me that there wasn't a huge difference between the two!! The classe was $1400.00 used!!

I haven't gone over to try a comparision yet. I think it would be interesting to check it out. Maybe over the xmas holiday since he wants to borrow my silvercats also. This will give me the chance to hear the diffences.

I don't mean to downgrade classe products, I would love to buy one of their preamps or integrated amps, especially the cap151 int amp (@$2200.00).

I believe that sony has built a top notch player. With it being discounted online and at b&m stores the value is awesome!!

Thanks,

Josh

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

9. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Glad your enjoying your 333ES Josh. I've had mine for about a year and it's still worth the $800 I paid a year ago. I'm aware of how much it has been discounted but I feel I still got a bargain considering it performance. I don't think the HTS-5000 is the way to go to improve the sound on the 333ES. I would recommend a real line cleaner such as a VansEvers product http://www.vansevers.com/ or a true power conditioner over the Monster. I also have the HTS-5000 and it's of little benefit as far as improving anything in the audio end. It has cleaned up the cable some. But the VansEvers Model 85 Reference line cleaner kicked up the picture way beyond the Monster. I've seen some VansEvers on Audiogon lately. http://www.audiogon.com/ Of course you could still just enjoy you player as is. [​IMG]

10. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Ric,

I checked out Modwright and the upgrades seem to be out of the budget, for the price I payed for the player. I think I'll spend the extra money on software. Thanks for the info though.

Darrel,

I have been looking into a new power conditioner for a little bit now. These are a couple that I've been eyeing:

Tice av solo

Monster 3600 (new model)

PS audio ultimate outlet w/juice bar

I'll check out VansEvers. I have heard several people on this forum talk about their products and all have been good.

Thanks for the tweaks guys,

Josh

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, I'm not saying that I would hear no difference upon modifying the 'C333ES, but I'm not sure the improvement would be marked. The 'C333ES is paired with an NAD C 350 integrated amp and Energy e:XL 25 speakers. It's a good system, but as was intended, it's a mid-fi system. It is good enough to hear improvements of SACDs or CDs or of the 'C333ES as a CD player over the Pioneer Elite PD-65, however. Still, if I were going to sink money into having a player modified, I would do it with the 'C555ES or most likely, the '777ES. These players are in my main system, where the benefits of modification are bound to be most readily apparent. The second system where the 'C333ES resides is my casual-listening system, whereas my main system is for critical listening.