What's new

My encounter with a Paradigm rep (1 Viewer)

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hi people!
So this past weekend I went into my local Paradigm dealership to find out that the head rep of Paradigm for our region (Jeff) was visiting. His "Paradigm Reference" T-Shirt kinda gave him away so a buddy and I pounced on him with a few questions. :) He seemed like a really nice guy and very enthusiastic about his products. So were we of course (I own studio 40s).
One question I did ask him that I think many on this forum might find interesting is about v3 of the studio series. He told me to expect v3 to come out in the fall. When we asked him about any significant changes he told me that there will be a lot of significant changes between v2 and v3. He unfortunately didn't give away any details except to expect a doubling in price. Ouch! He did say there will be only 4 tower speakers; say good bye to the Studio 80 and say hello to a Servo-25 and several more center channels with up to 4 mid-range drivers (2 1/2 configuration). He said the US reps and dealers were asking for a more high-end product with a higher price. I guess they feel the current price doesn't reflect the demand for their speakers? My personal opinion is that Paradigm's low price is what gave them that amazing value, once they raise their prices they might loose the market share they currently enjoy. I've always believed high volume is always better when it comes sales. But what do I know right?
Jeff also told me that the Monitor series will be adopting much of the current Studio technology, especially the 2 1/2 way speaker configurations. He didn't say if it will incorporate Studio drivers or tweeters or even the veneer finish.
So what's my take on all this? Well, its good for Paradigm and audiophiles in general, but kinda bad for me. My plan was to slowly build a 5.1/6.1 system with the Studio series but now it seems it will completely change on me, not to mention doubling in price. I would have preferred if they released a new line that was positioned above the studio and just kept the studio v2 as is (or a v3 with minor tweaks).
He also told us that there have been delays with some of the studio series but that was only because the company contracted to produce the veneer finishes has been swamped and has also had some units returned due to imperfections. Nothing to worry about if your studio 100s are taking a little longer to arrive.
Any ways, Jeff was pretty open about what he told me so I hope I didn't "leak" any secrets. Also, take it all with a grain of salt as things can always change. Hope you found this interesting, take care.
- Mike

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Ouch! The doubling of price hurts. I am slowly building up equipment, too. I'd hate to fasttrack it since I'll have speakers with no where to put 'em. My wife is going to be mighty unhappy on this. I'm sure others are in this position, too.

What makes it scarier is that Paradigm doesn't seem to announce changes until after the stock has been switched over. You don't get much window at all to buy up equipment after the change becomes common knowledge. Look at what happened when the Active line was discontinued.

Can anybody confirm independently any of this great info posted?

Martin.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Yes, the doubling in price does hurt. Here in Winnipeg the Studio 100s with the veneer finish retail at $3000. He told us that the v3's will retail for anywhere between $5000 to $6000 (of course this is all Canadian money).

I know that if I haggle enough I could get the 100s w/veneer for about $2200 or so here in town so I'd assume you can subtract about $1000 to $1500 off the inflated price of the v3's. It's still a lot of cash tough.

I too would like to hear any independent confirmations as I too may have to fast track (something I'd rather not do since I currently have no space for more speakers).

- Mike

Robert Ma

Second Unit
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

If Paradigm doubles their prices, they will shoot themselves in the foot. I'm not a speaker expert but I can imagine there must be some really good choices once you get up to the $5000 level for 2 speakers.

Paradigm is doing a great job in the price area they are currently at!! I hope this is just a rumor.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I understand what Paradigm is doing here. Paradigm makes a wonderful speaker (I know, I have a full 5.1 setup), however in the Audiophile community, they are often scoffed at due to their price points. (I was just ridiculed on AVS for testing an Anthem AVM-20 with an Outlaw 950 on Paradigm Reference speakers...the poster said there was no way I could dissern differences unless I was testing with "sensitive" speakers like Dynaudio or Thiel).

Anyway, I think Paradigm is trying to enter the high end market to enhance their reputation not so much as being a great performer with value, but a great performer worthy of being considered with the best there is to offer out there.

I will say this. If they plan on doubling the price of the Studio line, they better do a complete rehaul of the speaker. I love the sound of these babies, but I agree with previous posters. If I was going to be paying $4000 or more a pair, they better have a more "refined" sound than what I'm getting now. I do think you get great value for what you pay for now, but if they double the price, they will definately lose sales as I think there are better speakers out there in that range.

By the way, for those of you looking to get more of the old V2 Studio Series...there really is no rush..there is always E-Bay.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I should also point out that it seems Paradigms are a bit cheaper here in Canada. Since this was a Canadian rep he could have been talking about a doubling of price here in Canada. In the US market it might be less of a price increase. Perhaps they plan on maintaining similar prices in both markets?
Evan, I do believe there will be significant upgrades made to the current Studio series. Remember he also mentioned that the Monitor series will adopt some of the Studio technology. I'd assume this means that the Studio line will be moving on to newer and better things. One can only hope. :)
All speculation of course.
- Mike

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I understand the statement about some Veneer problems. I had to return my Studio 60's due to "spider-webbing" of the poly finish.

I have received my new 60's and am not that happy with the pattern on the side veneer's - not a very good wood match between panels.

I have yet to discuss this with my local shop or my wife and will do that when I have a chance.

Still love the sound!

Mike

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Ouch, definitely part of the appeal and a major reason for Paradigm's success is the affordability of such a good sounding speaker. But, getting into the $5k per pair speaker territory puts you up with the Dyanudio's, Thiel's and B&W 800 series speakers.

They better hope the improvements are significant to compete with that type of product. And, they better not forget their core customers or it could get ugly for Paradigm's bottom line.

Patrick

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm has been a very successfull company for some time now. I can't imagine they would make only minor changes to the speaker and say "hey, why don't we double the price, just for the heck of it" and get away with it. I'm SURE they plan on a major re design if they indeed plan on selling the v3 series for so much more.

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Darn. I was going to look at the Studio 40's and 60's again this weekend. I can't afford a doubling of price.

But I hate to jump in and then kick myself for not waiting.

I emailed Paradigm a couple of times on when Ver 3 was comming out and they said no plans for the Studio Series. Only the Performance Series they said.

Well you guys have gone through this before. So what happens to the Ver 2 prices when the Ver 3 come out. Does Paradigm have a big sale and you can get some real deals. Or are there enough people like myself who will be afraid of the price jump and maybe go in and get the Ver 2's while the price is within reach.

Steven Hen

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my setup today, Studio 40 with the rosenut veneer, cc center and adp surround. The rosenut veneer looks awesome, glad I spent extra for the veneer. I sure hope I'll be happy with the v2, my wife will kill me if I get the upgraditis bug when and if the v3 come out. The current lineup broke my bank as it is, can't even imagine doubling the cost!

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Bill VanderMarel, Director of Sales and Marketing for Paradigm will be a Special Guest starting Sunday, June 23rd on AVSForum.com. My interest was the Servo25 and I submitted my question.

Cam S

Screenwriter
What is this Servo 25 all about, that should be a really interesting sub.

Another thing you have to think about is that right now, Paradigm offers a line of speakers at an affordable price that compete with speakers costing much more than they do. If they double the price with a re-design of the Studio series, I'm sure those 6 grand speakers will be competing with speakers costing upwards of 10 grand (Canadian dollars).

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Actually, their move to high end pricing makes perfect economic sense. Being successful in this business is all about covering a wide spectrum of market niches. At present, they seem to have high (Reference), middle (Monitor), low (Performance), and ultra low end (Cinema) which are all scrunched into a very narrow price spectrum. Pretty much all their stuff is priced low to middle fi. What they need is to have a line in the hi-fi price territory to capture that niche. They can then trickle the Reference line technology down to the Monitor line and raise prices there a little bit. Then they will have true low, mid and hi-fi lines. The only issue from their standpoint that I see as problematic is that hi-fi sales are based on product image more than anything. People associate the Reference series with good bang-for-the-buck mid-fi gear, not extremely hi end stuff. Paradigm should thus discontinue the "Studio" name and rename these new speakers. They can keep the "Reference" appellation and call them something else.

From the consumer's perspective, we will simply have to evaluate whether the improvements are worth the extra money. But as far as Paradigm is concerned, it's chief objective is to make money, not to foster a particular image as being an "affordable" brand. I am not saying this is great news for us. I am just saying that given their somewhat unusual existing price structure, it does not surprise me that they have decided to make this move.

james e m

Second Unit
This is horrible! I had planned to save up the money to upgrade from the Monitor series to the Studio series v3 in the fall but I won't be able to since they doubled the price.:angry: :angry: :angry:
I guess I'll have to save a little faster and "settle" ;) for the v2 line.
Has there been any other confirmations on this huge price hike?
James

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The other aspect for Paradigm is that they are at the mercy of their dealers ability to sell product. While they quite a few sales through word of mount (HTF is a godsend for them, I'm sure), most of their business is, by virtue of them restricting internet sales, done through their dealers. If their dealers don't know how, can't, or just plain won't (due to lower markups) sell their speakers, they've got a problem. By coming in line with the other manufacturers pricing strategies, they work into the tried and true sales formula.

IMHO.

Martin.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that this is not another rumour. If all of this story is true, I will wait before I upgrade from the Paradigm Monitor series to the Studio series. BTW, will they have a serie which cost between $1000 and $2000 like the present Studio v.2 serie?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks