My Elephant Man disc was a Maxell cover disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tyler O, Dec 17, 2001.

1. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

EEEEK! No DVD inside. This is one of the bizarrest things I have ever seen. All security stickers were in place and so is the insert and magneto strip of stickiness. The disc, however is justa maxell disc that looks like it would be on the top of some spindles. I'm thinking about keeping it as an homage to David Lynch, but the financial concerns are keeping that possibility a bit out of reach. Let us hope that DDD is cool with this.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has found any other bizarre things in place of their coveted discs.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    My Pinocchio disc was The Prince of Egypt. [​IMG]
    - Steve

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

My PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE was a PREDATOR!!!

Johnny B.

4. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

My Die Hard 2 (non special edition) was a bluish colored blank DVD!

5. Al M

Al M Auditioning

Here's a good one. This is back in the good old LD days. I bought the standard release of "Empire Strikes Back" on LD. Side 1 was "Empire Strikes Back" and Side 2 was "Star Trek: The Voyage Home"!!! This blew the store manager's mind since STAR WARS was a FOX title and STAR TREK was a PARAMONT title! Talk about bizzare.

6. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Take the DVD back to the retailer and if they don't trade it for you, let me know via private e-mail.

7. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Blythe,

I thank you sir. Only too kind an offer. I have had good dealings with my etailer so far. I know you don't know all the aspects of production and packaging of your product (or maybe you do) but how do you think that these happen? I think they are rather enjoyable and quite humorous. The joy of the human factor.

Thanks again for your help and personal attention that you pay toward us as consumers, enthusiasts, and film lovers. You make us feel like friends. Others may deride Paramount for slightly higher prices, but I have never had problems paying for quality product. I would rather pay more for better, and your studio works well at the presentation of your product.

Thank you for caring.

8. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Let's see:
    In college I bought the Sid and Nancy soundtrack used on CD and got a collection of "Ballroom" music that was labeled Sid and Nancy. Apparently Sid and Nancy knew how to rock, roll, and swing (all while blitzed on heroin).
    In San Fransisco a couple of years back I bought Michael Nesmith's "The Prison" and got MUZAC type music labeled as the CD I bought. It included "Memories" and "Send in the Clowns" (and is guaranteed to make you want to slit your wrists).
    I bought a Country Music Legends compilation for my father that turned out to be a Spandau Ballet album in disguise. He actually kind of liked it, but I don't have the heart to tell mom.
    I bought the U2 rattle and Hum Laserdisc, and one side was labeled Major League (though the disc was the correct movie).
    Finally, I bought the Phantom Menace DVD because the label indicated that the box contained a good film. When I played it, that was not the case.[​IMG]

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The "Sid and Nancy" album had a problem of its own- there was a Lawrence Welk CD out around the same time that actually had the Sid and Nancy album (mostly Sex Pistols songs) on it- I've heard it's become a collector's item now.

I have one mis-labled laserdisc; the Tony Curtis movie "Sex on the Run" from Vestron has side 2's label as "Til Marriage Do Us Part", though it has the right movie on both sides.

10. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

My Forrest Gump DVD was made of chocolate! [​IMG]
    Marc.

11. James Corey

James Corey Stunt Coordinator

A few years ago, I had purchased a CD copy of John Prine's Sweet Revenge as a Xmas gift for my parents who were recent converts.
    On a subsequent visit, when I inquired how they liked the disc I was surprised to hear it described as "a bit raucous" (drenched somewhat in mix of sarcasm and disdain). Upon further investigation, neatly secured in the jewel case was a copy of "Now and Zen" by Robert Plant. [​IMG]
    A clear case of the end of a run of discs not matching to the start of a run of cases.
    Thankfully I was able to exchange it at the local B&M (Sam the Record Man.... they will be missed !) [​IMG]