What's new

My EBAY pet peeve (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
This has pissed me off since the beginning, but has really gotten worse at this point.

Companies who setup thie own business on ebay- listing an item with a reserve/buy it now equal to the retail price they charge directly on their website. It's like saying "well, this item costs $30, I won't risk taking any less- but I will accept MORE if you insist."

The entire "auction" nature is endlessly polluted by listings that are nothing more than a glorified ad for products they sell on their website, and they risk nothing by listing it reserved at the retail price.

And, of course, ebay has no desire to stop this, as it gives them higher numbers of listed auctions to tout, and these sellers pay fees based on that reserve price, but I really think it brings down the whole idea of an auction site, especially for the buyers.

I have always thought that there should be no reserve auctions on ebay. If you want a minimum price, make that the opening bid. That way people like me can filter off the bullshit e-commerce morons who simply relist the same products over and over and over at retail price.

-Vince

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The sad thing is, there's people who do pay more.

A friend here at work pointed out a basketball jersey that was selling on Ebay for well over $100. Then he pointed to another website where you could buy the same jersey at retail for $75. So, he bought 2 to re-sell them on Ebay.

However, when his jerseys got delivered, it seems someone at UPS or the retailer had cut the box open and stole one of them! :) But that's another story.

Some people just equate "auction" with "good deal"

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Certainly true- however I don't think a high opening bid would eliminate morons who would overpay anyway-- would just allow those bidders who were informed to avoid wasting time on sellers with reserves equal to retail.

Although a friend of mine told me he often sees "bidding momentum"- where a low opening price results in more bidders, results in a sort of frenzy that drives up the price.

Now, this very well may be true-- but it seems to be if you're going to take advantage of that, then they should be willing to take a risk as well. The whole point of an auction environment is the advantage of having a true market price- and I think sellers need to be put in more of a position of "gamble" if they want to take advantage of that.

In other words, the door should swing both way-- if you're looking to take advantage of the market structure and want to use bidder frenzy to drive up prices on your goods- you should also be willing to take chance that the market won't pay what you think things are worth.

It seems that ebay puts the seller in complete control, killing the entire point of the system- and putting buyers at a disadvantage, and ends up wasting tons of a buyers time.

-Vince

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I guess it just doesn't bother me. I never look at eBay's online store, so when store sellers place auctions it helps me find their little eBay store. I just bought a 20lb CO2 cylinder brand new this way.

Perhaps if eBay's search feature automatically searched their entire site, including eBay stores, people would stop listing auctions for store items.

My biggest eBay pet peeve is seller refunds. If I list an item for sale, I am charged a listing fee, as well as final value fees when it sells. If a buyer doesn't pay me, eBay will refund the final value fees, but they won't refund the listing fees. This has cost me a fair amount of money over time. I've had to resort to forcing all 0 feedback bidders to email me before bidding. In any given auction, I cancel at least one or two bids from newbies who don't follow these instructions.

I think all bidders should be forced to prove who they are beforehand, perhaps registering with a valid credit card. That way if they don't pay, they can be fined.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
This has cost me a fair amount of money over time. I've had to resort to forcing all 0 feedback bidders to email me before bidding
why do you do this? i know i've bought a few things and the seller asked me to email them first. i don't get it - i could still be a flake and not pay once they agree to sell me the item?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
why do you do this? i know i've bought a few things and the seller asked me to email them first. i don't get it - i could still be a flake and not pay once they agree to sell me the item?
Yes, there's still the possibility. But the people that take the time to e-mail and say "Please allow me to bid" or "I'm going to place a bid. Thanks." are much less likely (in my opinion) to be a deadbeat should they win. I have the same rule in my auction. 0 or less feedback means e-mail me first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks