My ear... or hallucinations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levesque, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I got a "problem" with my new Rotel RMB-1095... I really fell strange about this, but my wife is feeling the same. It's like the sound is not loud enough, and I fell the urge to crank the sound, but if I close the amp fast, then my ears (and wife ears) are buzzing and really painful... What's happening?? It seems not loud like the Yammie alone was, but ears are almost bleeding?? LOL I fell stupid explaining this. Can it be the bass, since I put the ICBM in, that is causing this "feeling"?? I've redone all the AVIA calibration since I put the amp in the system... so...

Thanx.

2. Levesque

Sorry, sound confusing. Just add a Rotel RMB-1095 to a Yammie RX-V3200 (as pre-amp), with a ICBM in between. Paradign Stidio-40 all around. Here. Easier to answer now...

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Could some of the speakers be connected with the wrong polarity? Some of the sounds could be out of phase (nulled out) and some of them in phase (reinforced) and some somewhere in between. This is just my guess. After checking all the connections try these things and see if you can reproduce the feeling.

1) only two channel listening.

2) sub turned off.

3) the ICBM out of the loop.

Also if your Rotel has an RCA (unbalanced)/XLR (balanced)selector switch check to see if its in the right position. There is 6 db difference between the two settings so that could account for the apparent loss in power.

See if that helps. Best of luck.

2)

4. Bobbi D

Bobbi D Agent

Could it be you are hearing sound with less distortion and therefore are "fooled" into thinking it isn't as loud as it really is? Do you have access to an SPL meter?

5. Levesque

I've adjusted all my speakers with AVIA and a SPL meter. I've chech all the polarity to. It's a strange feeling, it's like the sound is weaker, but my ears almost blled after 5 minutes of listening. Maybe it's is the "cleaner" sound without distortion... Sorry, I cannot be more clear.

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

It almost sounds like you're listening at too high a volume.

At high volume your ears become somewhat accustomed to the level, requiring you to increase again. This can get dangerous. Take your SPL out and measure what levels your listening too.

pain in your ears is a bad thing.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I think cleaner sound with less distortion would be less fatiguing to your ears. If anything the Yammie being a brighter receiver should have your ears bleeding. So I dont think its that problem. Maybe there is some noise induced into your system from some other sources that the amplifier is amplifying. Have you tried all the other things I mentioned and still feel your ear hurt? How about starting from scratch again, i.e, going back to your Yammie and listening and then start getting the amp online and then listening and then getting the ICBM online and then listening. Somewhere along the way you should start to hurt your ears. This way you'll exactly know where the problem is.

Just a suggestion. Keep us posted as to what you discovered.

8. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

It also may be that the "cleaner" sound you are hearing is also very, very bright. Sometimes really bright components and speakers can cause listening fatigue, even at moderate levels. Also, higher frequencies tend to make ears ring easier than lower frequencies. Because the frequency is higher, your eardrums have to pick up and replicate the sound faster, which in turn may cause them to remain that way for a period of time, which makes your ears ring. It is kind of like when you stand in a door frame and push your arms agains it sideways for a while, and when you step out of the door frame, your arms start going up involuntarily. With Paradigm and Yammie, you have some pretty bright gear, even though your amp is relatively warm (rotel). If I were you, I would try listening to some more bass-heavy music at the same level for a while, and see if your ears are ringing in the same was as when you listened to the other music. It may just be that both your and your wife's ears are very sensitive to bright sounding equipment.

9. Levesque

Thanks all. I will try everything tonight. I'm at work now. Sigh. Already missing my new toy...

I think the problem is with the bass. I remember the wife told me that her toothbrush was moving 2 floors up when I was putting the ICBM online!! LOL. Will have to recalibrate the Servo-15. Imagine, shaking a toothbrush 30 feets up!! That's bass!!

I got a nice hiss in the tweeter to, so it is maybe a more complicated business. My friend is an electrician, and depply in HT like my. We will investigaste everything this sunday.

It's only that to my brain, the sound is weaker, but when I close the amp, my ear are telling me that the sound is a lot stronger, because they are buzzing for 30 minutes...

Nerver had any ear buzzing with the RX-V3200 alone...

10. Levesque

I've done a SPL reading and I am listening to films around an average of 95 dB, and ears buzzing... Is it to loud?? Peaks goes to around 105 dB (big explosion, etc).

11. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

95db is pretty loud! your ears should be buzzing, I would run avia all the way through to make sure everything is set up correctly, I cant imagine there is anything wrong with the amp. I would agree with chung, personally I found parasound to be a better match for paradigm[​IMG] Are you still under the 30 day trial period if so maybe you can audition a parasound 2205 its a fair comparison with the 1095 it might be what your looking for[​IMG]
    Bob

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow dude. Maybe what you want is peaks around 95 dB max for the biggest explosions. For music, you shouldn't be peaking above 90 dB. Stay with 80-85 dB average for your high volume listening and try to do most listening at < 80dB. This is not a joke, are you hard of hearing? Cause if you are, this is why the readings are high. Be careful, your hearing is very important.
    I can relate to the volume not sounding loud, but then you feel as though you have been listening to the music too loud afterwards. Turn it down and listen to the music. I know it sounds funny, but with the lower distortion, you are thinking you need to turn it up. I used to do that, but once I realized how loud it was by measuring with an SPL meter, I just dicipline myself to keep it reasonable. It takes a while, but you get used to it [​IMG] Don't damage your hearing cause then your life will suck.

13. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

14. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

15. Levesque

LOL!!! You are all right! I took some tome to recalibrate yesterday, and the bass was really too loud (I think because there is nothing else then the sub now powered by the Yamaha, and the new ICBM is doing a real fine job).

But after AVIA, I realize that the dB level is a lot higher with the Rotel then the Yammie alone. So I'm hard on myself, and even if my brain fell it is weaker sound, the volume don't go over -40 db for music and -35 dB for films, giving an average SPL rating of 80 dB. I'm already getinng use to hit

Case close.