My DVD Storage Solution

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Smalley, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Jason Smalley

Jason Smalley Stunt Coordinator

I have had storage problems with my ever expanding collection of DVDs. I originally bought a wooden holder. That quickly filled up. I eventually ended up with six of these before my local Suncoast stopped carrying them. I then cleared out all of my CD's out of a holder to put my New Line and Warner Discs in a separate area (keeping Snappers separate from the keep cases).
    The collection got out of hand as shown in my first picture.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, this situation will not do. Every single storage solution I found presented one or two problems. The first problem was cost. I could not justify paying $600 and up on a storage solution. I'm in college, I can't afford to pay the equivalent of 30 DVDs on storing them! The second problem is that I have vaulted ceilings in my room and therefore am restrained by height restrictions.
    I purchased a Sony 10HT last summer and I made the screen out of PVC pipe. One morning I woke up and decided that PVC was my solution. I ran to Home Depot and bought some fittings and pipe. Made a prototype and decided it was feasible. Introducing the Smalley 700 Series Shelving Unit!
    [​IMG]
    The final result is actually a third revision. I needed to add that center divider for both structural and aesthetic purposes. The entire unit cost a little under $60 to build. I'm actually quite proud of it. I even made a second smaller unit to hold the Warner Bros. and New Line titles from my other unit. Here they are together. You can get a glimpse of my screen at the far end near my televison.
    [​IMG]
    The large unit has 6 feet 2 inches of storage per shelf. The smaller unit is 3 feet 1 inch of storage per shelf. The smaller design is easily modified to convert it into a larger model in the future when I need more space!

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Holy shit dude, that is awesome. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

That is outstanding! [​IMG]
    Innovative and Outstanding.
    Great Job!!!
    Great Jewel Pics too!

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    [​IMG] That is so perfect! *applause* *applause* Did you use standard pipe lengths, or did you have to cut them?

5. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Very cool idea! I might do that myself!! Can you give more details?

6. Jason Smalley

Thank you for such positive feedback!! :b

The basic parts list is actually quite simple. For a 5 shelf double wide unit, one needs the following:

14 1x10 Pipes

20 PVC Crosses

16 Tees

24 90° Elbows

6 End Caps

In addition to the raw materials, a rubber mallet, tape measure, PVC Pipe Cutter, Permanent Marker, and a pair of pliers are also handy.

The lengths of the pipes can vary depending on your needs. The important thing to keep in mind is that the back supports must be longer than the shelves because they extend a little farther than the rest. For me, each shelving section was 36.25 inches long and the back support was 81 inches long. The PVC cross is 3.5 inches across but it only adds 1.5 inches to the total length of the unit.

The supports between the shelves were 10 inches long so there was 8 inches exposed. Its late so I can address more detailed questions later when I'm a little more awake.

7. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

Ummmmm Dude. You got a "Jewel" thing or something?

8. Jason Smalley

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

How much money did it cost to build this. I'm running out of space quickly ... and was thinking of a solution. This might be it.

Great Job!

10. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

DUDE!! You are my hero. I have been running out of options myself and cannot bring myself to spend the $600 on the Boltz unit I need to hold my collection.

Cannot wait to start building this bad boy.

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

Could you please take the time from your college studies to write-up the construction of this monster (dimensions, etc.)?
    Also, could you include many more pictures (close-ups of joints, the back side)?
    Where can I get a Smalley 700 name plate? [​IMG]

12. Jason Smalley

I will be happy to throw together a construction page sometime this week with proper dimensions, tips, and pictures. I would guess that it will be up and running by Wednesday night...if not sooner. [​IMG]

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Nice Rack. [​IMG]
    This thread came along just as I was contemplating building something. My collection just hit 600 and my racks are full. I'm starting to get piles of discs everywhere since I'm out of room. This may be just the ticket.

14. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

The innovation of this group never ceases to amaze me. By the way I hope your major is engineering.[​IMG]
    Todd

15. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Would love to see some plans for that!

btw, I don't know many college students with a Sony 10HT!

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

That looks amazing! In my opinion, much more pleasing, aesthetically, than anything Boltz has to offer.

I was planning on saving up to buy a locking storage unit because I usually don't like to display my DVDs. But that thing looks so cool, I think I might take a stab at it. I look forward to seeing the plans!

17. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

That's Awesome I need a rack like that for my collection

18. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Man, that's just awesome. When it comes time for you to move out, or relocate the DVD rack, will it be easy to move? I realize you have to empty it, but do you have to disassemble it to move it? Excellent job on the rack!

19. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Man, that is totally "tube-u-lar"! [​IMG]
    Patent the design and make some competition for "Boltz". You could call it "TubeZ", or "TeleTubies"! [​IMG]
    The next time I redesign my storage needs, this will be it!
    Way to go!

20. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I also cannot wait for ths plans. While I don't have as many DVDs as most of you (Only about 180)...I'm going to need a new rack soon, and this looks like such a damn cool desing...I might just have to do it.

Thx again, and bravo on the great design.