My dvd player keeps freezing. Help.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_frontier, Jan 5, 2003.

1. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Hi everyone.

I just purchased an new Toshiba progressive Scan DvD player Model# sd3750 and this dvd player keeps freezing on me. I had it for only 2 weeks and it was fine untill the last 3 days ago. I was basically watching THE BARBERSHOP and after viewing to chapter 8 it started to pixelate and then froze. I could not even turn to power off and had to unplug the unit. So I tryed the dvd player again and it started the samething (freeze up) ,, but only later like about chapter 14 or so. So I just gave up and put that dvd movie into my Sony Playstation2 dvd rom and it played great and it had no freezing or anything and got to watch the whole movie successful.

So last night I wanted to watch the trilogy of Back to the future and I gave my Toshiba DvD player another chance and once agin it was skipping and then froze up.

I looked in the owners manual and it had no troubleshoot on that problem I had. But I am asking the pros on here to see what the problem may be. I really cannot take it back to the store b/c it only has a 7-day return policy,,, and the only other thing I can do is to take it to a toshiba service shop around here. But if there are any simple remedies to cure this dvd player please let me know what I should do. Remeber this dvd player was working fine untill the past couple of days and now starts to pixel and freeze up.
    Thanks for any imputs.

2. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    the second and third discs of the Back to the Future trilogy have problems look it up and they freeze

3. mike_frontier

All 3 disks (dvd) of Back to the Future played excellent on my playstation2 system.
    But anyways today I used my dvd cleaning disk and I hoped it cured the problem,,,, but I played XXX in it and guess what? It FROZE up again Arggghhhh!!![​IMG]
    I never had to deal with this before on any dvd player I owned. Now this sucks!
    [​IMG]
    Surprised I only got 1 response.

4. ChrisRC

ChrisRC Guest

If its in a rack, move it. It may be just getting too hot. I have had that problem before when I leave everything on, it heats up the pile, and the DVD player gets a mind of its own. Either that or just shut everything down for a while so the rack cools off. If this is not the case, then disregard.

ChrisRC

5. mike_frontier

Hi ChrisRC,
    Its on a rack but its exposed from heat and all of it is open so that is not the problem for sure. Here is the rack I own and the 3rd shelf on the left starting from the bottom is where my dvd player is.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for anymore imputs.

6. ChrisRC

ChrisRC Guest

I just remembered. I had the same problem with T2 freezing up on me. I think it is something in the disc that your player doesnt like. Of course, my player is a real P.O.S. so I just chalked it up to "you get what you pay for" and forgot about it. If I happen to pickup XXX off the previewed rack at blockbuster, I'll let you know if it chokes on that too. My most common problem with mine now is, instead of the occasional freeze, I get it where the DVD refuses to play and keeps going into the "special features" of the DVD. Only after I disable the menu will it run, with a delay between chapters of course. Just saw it again last night with Stuart Little WS edition. Do you have T2 or SL, and are you experiencing problems with those discs as well?

-ChrisRC

7. mike_frontier

Hi Chris,
    I gave up on it and yesterday I took it in to a certified by Toshiba repair shop. I have T2 and if I do remember correct it played fine. Also when the SD3750 first came out on the market with an MSRP of 299.00 I bought it and tested it out and it was great, I really enjoyed the performance and options it had to offer. I just reviewed it but did not keep it,, but it was on my wish-list once the price dropped on it. So now I have it and this is what it does this to me know [​IMG] .
    I only owned this DvD player since 12-25-02 (X-mas present)and it was great untill I started seeing problems with it about an week ago [​IMG] .
    I should get my dvd player back with'in 10 business days. I will attempt to play T2 and XxX to see if this dvd player skips or not (I hope). If it does skip still, I will more then likely give up and sell it for parts.
    [​IMG]

8. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

mike - couldn't you have swapped it out at the place of purchase for a new one?

9. mike_frontier

AnthonyJS
    I wish I could of. The store where I got it had a sorry A$$ return/excehange policy, it was only am 7-day rtrn policy with that store. So I know for sure now I will not buy nothing there anymore.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

mike - that really stinks! I had the same problem during Star Wars: AOTC with an SD-3800 (with a July build date). The two calls I made to Toshiba got the same reply, "We've never heard of that before - get it serviced." Figuring that maybe it was a firmware issue I traded it in for an SD-4800. I thought that maybe with DD/dts decoders and DVD-Audio in the 4800 required different firmware. Anyway, the 4800 had a November build date and it has played flawlessly since around Thanksgiving! I watched the same scene over and over in AOTC and have watched about a dozen movies (and all the LOTR EE extras [​IMG] ) since then with no problems! I picked up my 4800 at Tweeter - they have a nice 30-day return policy and a 60-day defective exchange policy. Good luck and let us know what they find - if anything! Tony
    chris - do you have the T2: UE and, if so, where does it occur? I have that DVD and will give it a try.

11. mike_frontier

AnthonyJS,
    I seriously think they will not find nothing wrong. I don't know what the build date on my dvd player is,, but if anything I am sure theres something wrong with it.
    I love Toshiba TVs,, but I had a feeling I should of the the Onkyo Progressive Scan DvD player for 99.00 and not pay 160.00 for the Toshiba which I have problems with right now. Sad,,, but I think Toshiba is in the same class as Samsung on there DvD players in the past.[​IMG]

12. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent