What's new

My DVD player dispays 2:35 as 1:85 (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Rich:

There IS more resolution, but that resolution needs to come from somewhere. It just sticks it in a normal 4:3 frame, and if played on a non 16:9 compliant TV everyone will look tall/thin. One of the key's for the 16:9 aspect ratio is the ease of providing this increased resolution within the frame, as well as easily providing down conversion for play-back for a "16:9 Enchanced" disc on a 4:3 set. All you need to do is remove every fourth line (though, thankfully most players actually do a more advanced algorithim than this, now!) from the enchanced frame it and will look correct on a 4:3 TV.

To some up, the only non distorted widescreen modes in progressive mode are TW2 and Full.

TW2 is for non-anamorphic discs. (The trailer for Panic Room.)

Full is for anamorphic. (The actual feature for Panic Room.)

4:3 material depends on what player you have and how the new Toshibas handle it (I leave mine in Full and let the player (also Toshiba) handle it; but the X81 series of sets have geometry problems in 4:3 progressive mode.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to resurrect this most fascinating thread.
Lots of useful information in here, if you're patient enough to scour all of it.
Anybody currently screaming at their TVs: "Why the Hell doesn't this ratio look right??!!!!", should have a gander at this thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks