What's new

My DVD picture "shimmers" (1 Viewer)

Kyle Peters

Auditioning
I had an older nonprogreesive scan JVC DVD player which workeed fine on my RCA Home Theater TV which has S-video inputs. It was boght in 1996. Problem is when I bought a progressive scan DVD Denon 900 the picture "shimmered" looks like scan lines moving across the picture. I then brought it back to my dealer and got a Panasonic RP-62. This does the same thing but not as bad. I used the same cable as before and even put a better one one and still this didn't help. Anyone have an idea what's going on?
Thanks, Kyle

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kyle: Do you have the player operating with the progressive-scan output active? Your television is interlaced-only, and will not accept a progressive-scan image. Switch to the interlaced output on back of the DVD player. The only way you will see a progressive-scan image is if the display itself can support prog scan. JB

Kyle Peters

Auditioning
Jack, I have the progressive disabled in the setup menu. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't make a difference, as far as I could tell, in the picture,,,,nothing changed. I'm going to try it on a different TV but can't understand why it should work b/c it worked fine with the old DVD player. Could something be out of adjustment on the s-video portion of my RCA TV?
Thanks, Kyle

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Looks like some kind of interference to me.
Try moving the DVD player (within reach of the S-video cable).
Try flipping the power plugs in the outlets (if you can) using different combinations.
Does it happen on all DVD's?
What does the shimmering look like, more precisely.
Heaven forbid, could it be macrovision problems? A very small number of TV sets are affected.
Just for kicks, try the composite video connection.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Try the minimum number of connections to the TV and from the DVD player, i.e., just power to the TV and DVD player, and just the s-video (or composite) connection between them. Remove DVD and TV connections to other gear. Remove as much as possible from the electrical circuit. If possible, try the same and different (if possible)electrical circuits for the TV and DVD player. If the problem does not manifest itself in this or similar configurations, then it would appear that something else is producing the undesired behavior. If so, add other connectivity one at a time to isolate the culprit. If the minimal approach is still a problem, then there appears to be an interaction between the two.

Doug

Kyle Peters

Auditioning
Dre, I tried tuning Sharpness down. It helped somewhat, not quite as noticable but I still have a visable "bar" moving from left to right and it looks like the picture is shimmering yet, just not as bad. Kyle

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
maybe he is expierincing combing??? Try putting the dvd player into film mode for movies or video mode for dvds shot on video.

Kyle Peters

Auditioning
I can look into setting it for movies but I never touched the settings out of the box on either player. Thansk for the idea.
Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks