My DVD Collection- What do you think?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tim_Prasuhn, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

The Collection

After four years of collecting, selling, double dipping, hunting down, and just generally being a DVD fan, I've finally stopped being a slacker and put my DVD collection online. Its about 99% complete, since I did it with an old spreadsheet list of what I own (which hasn't been updated in a month and a half) and memory of everything after that. Might have missed something.

I'd like some opinions on it in general, on what I should add, that kind of stuff.

And in my own defense ([​IMG] ) I'm fully aware some of the titles I have are not good films. But they're fun, and I had a reason for buying them.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

While quickly looking thru your collection I didn't notice any westerns. Do you not like that type of film? [​IMG] I also only noticed a couple of older films. I'd suggest that you might investigate films from the 1930's, 1940's & 1950's. It might broaden your film viewing horizons. You never know, you could like them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Take a look thru my collection Tim & see what you think. Thanks. [​IMG]

3. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

The "Casablanca" SE certainly gets a thumbs up from me, but Jeff HR is right -- discover the other classics; you'll love them! Rest of the collection looks great, with very few clunkers in there (but Virtuosity, Battlefield Earth & 3000 Miles to Graceland certainly qualify in my book). [​IMG]

4. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Why should you care what we think? Buy what you like and enjoy it. [​IMG]

5. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Seriously, Jay, the reason why HTF is such a success is the fact that we do care what others think, right?

6. Tim_Prasuhn

Right! I care what people think about my collection.

Some quick responses to people's comments so far:
    - I do enjoy the western genre, though it isn't my highest priority (I tend to gravitate towards the more fantastical). Unforgiven, the forthcoming Wyatt Earp, and Once Upon a Time in the West may be joining the collection soon. Ride the High Country and The Wild Bunch, with upcoming SE's, also a possibility (I enjoy Peckinpah).

I own Tombstone, btw. Not the greatest film, but what a cast!

-I've seen a lot more films than I own. Escpecially older films. I've had a good dose of the origins of cinema (Edison, Lumier Bros, Chaplin, Linder, Melies), early talkies, Dada and absurdist works. A few here and there from the 30's and 40's (just the major ones).

I probably missed a whole load of good films, whole movements, that I'd enjoy, thats what this thread is for!

7. Tim_Prasuhn

oops, double posted

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Tim, first just go right out and get Once Upon a Time in the West. I didn't used to like westerns, until I realized it was just the JohnWayne style westerns I don't care much for. I love the Clint Eastwood, Sergio Leone style "dirty" westerns.

The main thing I notice is a general lack of just pure drama. there are a few (like Magnolia which is fabulous) and I would suggest trying some others. There has been a huge selection of great drama in the last several years. Give 21 Grams a try.

9. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Shoot, Tim .. you have some, what I would call a fairly deep and not necessarily a main stream collection ... such as Happiness, Hudson Hawk among a few others. Nice collection! But it could always be rounded out ...

Judging by your tastes, check out my link as we have similar interests. In the meanwhile, consider the following:

City of Lost Children
    Blade Runner
    Ghost in the Shell
    The Vanishing
    Irreversible
    Band of Brothers
    Monster's Ball

10. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

I see you are into Cronenberg, Lynch and Kubrick-- all pioneers in exploring the realms of the disturbing, but warning on the recommendation for Irreversible. Even I found it a traumatic watch when I caught this at a local film festival. I too would recommend City of Lost Children, but also be warned of that Blade Runner is a dated looking DVD and many have hopes for a new edition form Warner Bros. in the distant future. Since you are a Cronenberg buff, I'd recommend Scanners-- his best older film. For some great obscure, fantastical foreign stuff check out Jan Svankmajer. Introduce yourself to him with Alice and, if you like, check out Otesanek-- his latest.

11. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

12. Tim_Prasuhn

These are all great suggestions guys, thanks.

News on the SE of Blade Runner has kept me from upgrading my Letterbox VHS for about two years now. If I can find it cheaply (like 5 dollars cheaply), I'll pick it up.

Actually haven't seen Scanners, which I'm ashamed of, being a Cronenberg buff. Will pick it up eventually. Maybe bundle it with Blue Undergrounds insanely cool Fast Company SE (with two of his short films on a second disc!) and the upcoming Rabid SE (its either Rabid or Shivers thats getting it, can't remember which).

I've been hearing all over that Irreversible is the greatest piece of shock cinema in a long time, and is actually a great film too. A friend of mine has it. Based on your recommendation, I can't in good conscience give it a blind buy, but I'm very interested in seeing it now. I'll borrow my friend's copy.

I'll post in that other thread! But lets not let this one die!

13. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

Well, at a quick count I've got 47 of those titles, so I'd have to say it's good[​IMG]
    For humour I'd say get some of the Pink Panther films, for TV I'd say Alias or 24 (or both) or having just watched Season 8 of the X-Files that too.... better stop now[​IMG]