What's new

My DVD Collection Was Insulted! (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Scott never said people who liked Pearl Harbor were morons, so please stop putting words in his mouth. He was just saying that the person he was talking to liked Pearl Harbor (which in my opinion is a good 120 minute film expanded into 183 minutes) over Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (and to 95% of people who have seen the film, they think it's a much better film then Pearl Harbor).
Now let's all please go back to the topic at hand. :)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
What's he complaining about???
You have:
American Pie - Unrated Version (1999)
Armageddon - Criterion Collection (1998)
Fight Club (1999)
Gladiator - Signature Selection (2000)
Independence Day - Five Star Collection (1996)
Jurassic Park - Widescreen Collector's Edition (1993)
Lost World, The - Jurassic Park - Widescreen Collector's Edition (1997)
Matrix, The (1999)
Robocop - Criterion Collection (1987)
Shrek - Special Edition (2001)
Sixth Sense, The - Collector's Edition Series (1999)
South Park - Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999)
Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Ultimate Edition (1991)
X-Men (2000)
You've got quite a few mundane, lame, Hollywood blockbusters. ;) Truthfully, you have quite a nice collection, it looks almost like mine. Some "big", some "small", some "odd", but most are just really damned good. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, Matthew, I always find it a good rule of thumb to not take anyone seriously who has no idea how to spell or punctuate correctly.
Or is a Hollywood Suck-Ass ;)

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Jeeesh ... All I asked was what you were thinking.

I guess I rest my case from the response.

As far as the topic at hand, don't ever feel bad with your

taste in anything. If you like it then that's good

enough.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well, i've been gone from the itnernet for a whole day coz i had to unhook my computer to study for an english test tomorrow (i get too damn distracted by HTF!!! Argh :angry:), but i can really feel for what my buddy matt here went through...
Im far from being a Movie Buff, and most of the time i DO like those mindless blow-em-up movies and stuff, and I would be bored as hell sitting through Lawrence of arabia and North By Northwest to tell you the truth (i fell asleep during North By Northewest last time i think :p) ), but my passion for Home Theater is the hardware.
Though its not the best, my HT is my pride and joy. I hooked up most of it, i calibrated it, i tweaked it to bits (but didnt pay for it :p) ), and i definitely DO NOT like cocky little teenagers insulting my system, and frankly i get really really po'd.
Just recently, i wrote a DVD review (not movie BTW) on the technical aspects of the Star Wars DVD on a local Teen-forum based in my town, where i praised the superb audio track it has, and criticized the overuse of EE. They replied with all these dumbass illogical answers like "the DVD sucked coz the Movie sucked" "man that movie sucked bad....even in dvd nuthin special..........." etc etc. Then i showed them my rig explaining that I heard it in Dolby Digital 5.1 and widescreen and all, then this is where i get mad. They start insulting my Equipment! "Mr Bean on VHS would look better on a high-end system than yours!" "My PS2 on my stereo and TV would look and sound way better than yours" :angry:
But yaknow what? I realized (with some comfort from htf :D) that they're TEENAGERS! They're what, 16... Who cares! We're just much more mature than them to be enjoying "Dude, Wheres my Car?" on a 27" SEARS TV.
I know its really frustrating the first few hours, But later you'll calm down and realize they're all crazy. Let the idiots think what they want to think, and enjoy your DVDs!!! :D

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
I can't believe you posted this b/c I just had the same conversation a few days ago!
I'm like you, real young. I'm 15, and a 10th grader in high school. Everyone knows I love film and call me "the movie critic" and dumb shit like that.
But I swear, I was trying to explain to one of my friends why I really didn't like Pearl Harbor and Legally Blond and she got pissed off at me! I didn't try to change her mind about her liking it. She told me her opinion and I told her mine.
Well, I asked her why she liked Pearl Harbor and she said b/c Josh Hartnett is the hottest guy in the world! I guess hot guys make a good film for girls these days.
Then when my best friend comes over, he looks at my dvds and asks " why the hell do you have Lawrence of Arbia!?!" "How do you sit through that shit?!" Although he loves alot of films I do, he can't stand classics. He hates the fact that I have classic CC b/c he think most CC suck.
But, oh well, what can you do? Thank god for HTF otherwise I guess I would go mad thinking I was the only person in the world who liked the movies I do.
Matt, I agree with the ppl here. You know your stuff. I've probably seen(remember) your posts the most. Mainly, b/c your my age, but also b/c your one of the most intellegent film buff here. Your list kicks ass!:D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Although he loves alot of films I do, he can't stand classics. He hates the fact that I have classic CC b/c he think most CC suck.
Sounds like he's probably had a negative influence about them from somewhere. I know I've never read George Orwell because at school I associated his books with wannabe intellectuals, and the sorts of books teachers loved because they were alegorical. I hated the idea of someone writing a book about one thing to talk about something else - it seemed patronising and pointless.
Nowadays I mean to read a lot of Orwell but I've just not yet had the chance.
I think you will always find people willing to watch a movie for the people in it and it's not fair to suggest that this is a girl thing. I've only ever found one person who owns Tomb Raider because he likes the plot - everyone else owns it to slobber over La Jolie. :rolleyes
It's very easy if you're a forceful person with your opinions (I know I am) to seem to be having a go at someone while just stating your viewpoint, particularly with women as they just tend not to argue about things in the same way. (They usually get more emotionally attached to a discussion, I have found.) It's not a bad thing but you've got to look out for easily pissing people off.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I know the feeling. I was so excited when I got my SILLY SYMPHONIES and MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR sets the other day. I was giggling like a geek at the CES. I tried to watch some of them with my friend Wade. I kept going on about the artistry involved in their making and how groundbreaking they were. He fell asleep. Of course, he also thought SCARY MOVIE was pure comic genius. The point is, there aren't many real film buffs around, per capita, but you're certainly not alone in your tastes. Buck up lil' camper!

Butch C

Second Unit
Hey, this one girl I liked went to ONE meeting of film club back in late October (when we watched Citizen Kane). In December when I sent her an X-Mas card and candy cane she ignored me big time.
She might have not answered you because you took her to a FILM CLUB. Try a theatre cheapo.

HEY WAIT...matt has a big collection, he could afford the theatre

Oh by the way, to a 16yr old girl;

Being into classic movies - possibly attractive

Going to a film club - borderline psychotic

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
By the way, going at each other in this thread will

yield suspensions if it does not stop. If you have

a problem with what someone has said here, or how it

was said, take it to email, to private message, or to

one of the moderators.

- Steve

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I agree with the ppl here. You know your stuff. I've probably seen(remember) your posts the most. Mainly, b/c your my age, but also b/c your one of the most intellegent film buff here. Your list kicks ass! :D
Matt, I don't mean to embarrass Carol here, but I think this girl might be sweet on you! ;)
How far is it from Vegas to Oregon, anyway?

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Nothing is to far away for love :D . Yeah Matthew's collection is really good cause let's face it he does have every Dario Argento DVD except for 1 and almost every made on there is great IMO. The only problem is when I am trying to save up for my new T.V. and I look at that collection it makes me want to go out and buy some more discs. DAMMIT.

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
LOL. I hate to break this to you David. But i'm a guy! I was born in England and my parents named me after Carol Reed! Their favorite movie is The Third Man. It's also one of my favorites too. Once I asked them why the hell they did it and they showed me the film and I said " Pretty sweet!" My friends find it weird at first, but it's cool. lol. Seriously though David, you made my day with that one! Damn the Third Man!!! Damn it to Hell! :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Y'know Carol, I should know better than to make that assumption, too.
Back when I was a manager for the Software Etc. chain of computer/videogame stores, I had a lady work for me by the name of Kevin... :D
Well...given Matt's look in his signature pic on the right, maybe it can *still* be true love!! :b
Just kidding. Sorry, you two!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks