What's new

My DVD Collection Was Insulted! (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I used to get similar crap about my taste in music from a former roomate. This person's entire music collection ranged from Collective Soul to Fleetwood Mac. I would put on some blues or a Bob Marley disc and he had no clue. Never mind John Coltrane or Charlie Parker. He told me one day that he was very open-minded about music and my tastes were "just weird". To each his own I guess, but when it comes to anything artistic, listen to your own opinions.

KriM

p.s. I'm not bagging on C. Soul or F. Mac.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Kris! I had the same thing with the guy I lived next to last year(incidentally his name was Kris M. and he was from Canada!). He liked basically three bands: Radiohead, NIN and The Cure (and he only started liking The Cure after a while). He listened to them OVER and OVER all day, really loud. The same songs. He HAD to listen to "Creep" by Radiohead every day.

Whereas my collection ranges anywhere from Led Zeppelin to Wes Montgomery to John Williams scores. And he would make fun of my taste. I remember specifically getting made fun of for listening to Collective Soul, then finding out later that he listened to them too (this guy had repressed music tastes or something...he used to listen to all sorts of other music but he stopped)! It seems to me especially I get made fun of for liking Collective Soul. I don't get it, they're a good rock band. What's to hate?

-Tom

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
We are getting a rash of DVD inferiority complexes on this forum?!?!?!?

This should make USA Today

....just say to yourself, "I am not inferior, I am adequate"*

Grant

* From they might be giants, my favorite movie

KrisM

Second Unit
Now I feel bad for using Collective Soul as an example! I like them myself and have seen them in concert. Maybe I should have said The Spice Girls. Yes, they were played in my apartment, though I tried as hard as I could to keep it off MY stereo.

KrisM

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I had to put up with that when I was younger(12,13,14) I'm 20 now, and my friends kind of understand the movies now, I have a lot that you have, Akira and some from the Criterion Collection(Brazil,Rushmore,Walkabout), but I also some little guilty pleasures, like a huge collection of Disney and Family films. My music taste was under fire as well, when I was 15 I saw KISS, Alan Jackson, and The Phantom of the Opera in concert a week apart. It's kind of a good thing though, we know something that they don't, and no matter what I think, I would never insult another persons collection.

Derek

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The Spice Girls! Now THAT'S despicable :). Ironically enough, I listened to them frequently on the radio before I started to play guitar. I was into everything top 40 back then, *shudder*.
-Tom

Dustin D

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to pop in and say I love your signature pose Matt! Great Hedwig picture. "Look at me, I'm Miss Farrah Fawcett from TV!"

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Matt, I'm not a bad influence on you, but I still insist you give 'Showgirls the Return', 'Poison Ivy XI' and 'British Pie' a second chance, before those snobs over at Movies corrupt you further.;)
ps. erm do you still have those naked pics of Sandra I sent you, can I have em back?:D
POSTED BY EVIL STEVIL.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I hate to admit it :rolleyes:but I earned the disrespect of many people when they saw that I actually own the "Hackers" DVD.
"Dude, why do you own that. That movie sucks!"
"I found it for $7.99!"
"So? That movie sucks!"
"But it has Angelina Jolie looking hot as hell!"
"So? That movie sucks!"
:D
Joseph

Dustin D

Stunt Coordinator
Angelina Jolie was hot in Hackers? Wow, you learn something new every day!
Actually, I have a friend that loves the movie Hackers. Ended up going out with scary girl that looks like Angelina did in that movie. Eerie resemblence between pic of them and of Dade and Jolie's character I found on the net. He's a tall blond too.
Wait, you mean everyone doesn't own Hackers? That's odd, I thought it was insanely popular. There are about 40 copies of it making a blood-red line across a shelf at my local Best Buy. :D

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Scott, PEARL HARBOR was GOOD! I really liked that movie! So, I'm a moron, huh? When I choose a movie to watch, I pick one's that are entertaining. I enjoy things like Fast and the Furious, Pearl Harbor, Die Hard and such. I don't like to think, and wonder when I watch a movie...when I feel like that I will READ A BOOK! I watch movies that entertain me! That doesn't mean I don't like emotionally involving movies(Braveheart, Run Lola Run), but for the most part, I watch movies that are FUN! I watch movies that will give my friends and I a good laugh, or watch a cool special effects driven movie, or a fun action movie...I would rather watch Rush Hour 2 than the 5 hour Gone with the Wind(and for the record, I was very bored during that movie). It's all a preference, and it depends on a personality. Just because I might prefer American Pie over Hedwig or Memento doesn't give me the right to bash YOU for liking them, so what gives you the right to bash me for not liking them? People are different, and have different tasts.Sorry for going on, but stuff like this makes me mad. Your friend had no right to insult you for liking those movies, but that doesn't give anyone the right to insult me for liking the movies I like.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Sigh.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely you don't mean to say that someone who likes Pearl Harbor and dislikes Lord of the Rings is a moron?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. If that was what I meant to say, I'd have said just that.
Please read more carefully in the future as opposed to flipping out over something you misread.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Matt, if you ever go looking for a job at a Blockbuster Video outlet, DON'T MENTION YOUR VIDEO COLLECTION!!! They'll consider you overqualified! :D
Nice collection. Highly varied too. And you appreciate black & white material too! That's becoming pretty rare these days even among old farts who started out with black & white movies and don't understand why everything isn't in color these days.
That reminds me. Smart, stupid and B&W. When is Tim Burton's Ed Wood coming out on DVD? :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Matt, we all keep learning throughout life, but trust me when I say that when we are teens we are all idiots, and some of us are arrogant idiots.
I had an appreciation of film like you do, but I still could be a harsh asshole on things and later realized how moronic I must have appeared.
It's part of being a teen and thinking everything that's happening now is somehow unique to this era. The bad news is when you run into people like this at age 25, 35, etc and they are still that ignorant and pigheaded about it.
I have friends with Joe 6 tastes, BUT they will at least give my recommendations a try and are honest with what doesn't work for them. They don't think I like crap no one else does, just that it isn't for them. That's all you can ask from someone.
The real insult in this case is to your friend's taste because you list reads virtually the same as most professional critics and critical groups.
Just wait till you are 30 and you see teens into the same shit as they are right now but somehow thinking they invented it. :rolleyes: Just part of life.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
"Pearl Harbor was so cool. I, like, cried."

"Did you like Lord of a Ring? I fell asleep."

Both quotes are completely accurate. No lie. After these two statements I quickly steered the conversation onto something like pizza toppings.

Intelligence, like insufferable smugness, is a curse. --

So, what were you saying, Scott? Explain this.

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
I had a conversation with my friend's cousin tonight. She knows I'm a critic and a bona-fide movie addict, so the topic got around to movies.

"Pearl Harbor was so cool. I, like, cried."

"Did you like Lord of a Ring? I fell asleep."

Both quotes are completely accurate. No lie. After these two statements I quickly steered the conversation onto something like pizza toppings.
So then what were you 'really' thinking?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As my initial post clearly states, I was simply quoting from a conversation I had with one specific individual!
If I felt the need to elaborate more fully, I certainly would have.
If you're trying to pick a fight, please look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks