What's new

My DVD Collection Was Insulted! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All of you are dancing around the REAL problem here!
Young Matt has obviously been corrupted by hanging around us HTFers. We are a bad influence on him! :eek:
We have taken his curious young mind, and instead of pointing it toward appropriate fare for his generation, like Road Trip and She's All That, we have cultivated his mind to appreciate horrible, thoughtful things which we have the termedity to name "classics".
Sheesh, what are we doing? Officer, I believe the charge is "contributing to the delinquency of a minor". The entire HTF? Take 'em away and book 'em, on numerous counts!
Matthew: After some of the talks we've had before, I can't believe you even let these guys get under your skin anymore. You're not old/wise enough to appreciate this comment, but you must remember that people are horrible to other people all day long, and kids/teens are better at it, especially to other kids/teens.
You are obviously different from your average peer. You just got a big ol' dose of peer pressure, although they didn't realize it.
Most of us here on HTF *are* different from our peers, and most of us have had their collections insulted at times (perhaps on a regular basis!). MY collection, now over a thousand discs, has so many broad categories in it (yes, including Xanadu...nothing wrong with that guilty pleasure, is there?) that the insults usually start with "you like a lot of different KINDS of movies, don't ya?".
Fuck 'em all. I don't go and insult their hobby. Don't let 'em bother yours. Keep on collecting what you want.
Thanks for sharing, though...it reminds me that we're all pretty special here at HTF: even though we're all different, we're the same. :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The guy was probably just yanking your chain. It's often (even outside teendom) you'll get an automatic knee-jerk reaction against something somone else finds cool. I reckon he just knew he'd get a rise out of you on the subject. Find something he really likes and have a go at that! :D

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
No. If that was what I meant to say, I'd have said just that.
Well, I'm a little dense, so help me out here. What, then, did you mean to say?

You start off talking about people being morons and having poor taste in film. You move to a conversation you had with a person who happened to feel differently than you about two particular films. Of course, you make sure to reassure us that the quotes you attribute to her are "completely accurate. No lie." I'm glad, because otherwise, I don't think I'd have believed that someone would actually have had the nerve to form her own opinions of a movie, especially ones so different from yours!

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Carl, has this really got much to do with the topic. Is it worth having a go at Scott for possibly being opinionated? On this forum? Jeez, you might as well shoot me now - guilty as charged too.
Let it go - it's not worth risking this degenerating into thread-lock territory for th sake of such a small point of semantics, IMHO.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Mickie Dees gots the best burgers

Cuz everybody knows abouts them

Nobody knows your burger place

cept people who gots no life

Their burgers suck or everybody would know bout them

Butch C

Second Unit
MATT LISTEN CLOSELY!!!

Do not shun these braindead fellow teens, instead befriend them.

I cannot tell you how many girls I got in HS and College simply because my friends were morons.

Remember for every 10 girls running around acting like Brittany theres one who does it just to fit in and secretly goes home and popps Citizen Cain in the DVD player.

Matthew someday soon you will be at a party when some guy will proclaim thet "HOW HIGH was a great movie!!!!"

You will mutter under your breath how you prefer Requium...Dream when it comes to drug films.

Should the 1 in 10 girls be standing nearby it will be love.

Lets not even talk about film 101...can you say study date?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Carl, has this really got much to do with the topic.
I thought that's what this topic WAS… tolerance for diversity of opinions. Matt didn't start this thread because his friend has different taste in movies than he does, he started it because his friend went out of his way to insult Matt's own taste.

It's good to have a place like the Home Theater Forum, where people from all over the world, with a common love of film can come and communicate with others who share their tastes, and learn from those who don't. For people like Matt and many others here (myself included), that's not an easy thing to do in real life!

On the other hand, if we turn the HTF into a place where we gather to call others "morons" or accuse them of being unintelligent just because they don't happen to share our own taste… well, that's just not what this place is about. Calling someone names just because they insulted us first? That's schoolyard bickering. This is the Home Theater Forum, not the second grade. I like to think we have higher standars than that.

This is just my opinion based on my experience here. Feel free to disagree.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Sorry, I'm not having a go at you for the ideal. I agree that you shouldn't just assume people are foolish. But it's easy to dash off a reply that can be misconstrued. You pulled Scott up on it and said he didn't mean that. If his post is not clear, that is bad but he's made it clear now, to me.
IMO, your reply might encourage the sort of stuff in the 'what we are up against' thread, for example. Hey, it probably won't get so bad ;) but that's the only reason I jumped in.
I was also thinking how many people on the forum cite themselves as 'Elitists' and 'Snobs' (tongues firmly in cheeks, I guess). It's a forum that has its fair share of OTT opinions - I've done it a few times myself without really thinking.
Anyway, no disrespect to you was intended. Sorry.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...he is one of the most insightful and funny 16 year old's I've ever met...
I'll second that...and he's a damn nice guy to boot.
I get all kinds of negative reactions to my DVD collection. I tend to favour older film classics, which are often regarded as "boring" by the people who have never ever seen any of them.
I just remind them that I am The Movie Snob and request that any further comments kindly be directed to the nostril. :D
On occasion, these same naysayers will agree to try to watch some movie that I love. In those cases, I usually wait until about a half hour in, once they are completely sucked in, then say something like "oh, you're probably bored, let's do something else." :laugh: Quite often, they insist that we finish the "boring" movie.
I think this friend of yours is speaking from complete ignorance, so I wouldn't pay it any mind at all. Perhaps if he had even given your movies a chance, he could discuss his opinions with you, but to blindly dismiss them is just narrow minded. Besides, you don't have to answer to anyone for your tastes.
Oh, and incidentally, since we agree on Dawn of the Dead, I'm actually thinking of checking out an Argento film (which I've never before done), just because I know you're a fan. Oh yeah, and it was partly because of your recommendations (as well as other HTF-ers that I ended up seeing--and buying--Memento). See what springs from diversity of tastes? :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey Vegas boy, whats with the eclectic, idiosyncratic, multifarious [puts thesaurus back on shelf] selection of films for the year that was?
And why isn't that Ring flick at the top of the list, hmmm, why is poor old Shrek only honorably mentioned, and finally why have I never heard of most of the flicks on them listings, why no Tit Raider, Jurassic Pork and My Mummy Returneth, oh I give up, like talking to a brick wall.:D
When I was your age Kung Fu flicks were what we elitist teens were watching on the big screen, and very educational they were too, hooooo heeeee haaiiii!!! (ow! better not do that again).
POSTED BY PSEUDO-ELITIST-BASTARD-WANNABE STEVE C.:)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
your movies are crappy
Umm, so he's seen these movies? I think not, he's just kneejerking (and prolly just pulling your chain) ;)
I quite enjoy Charly Kane, Larry (from Arabia), and the Third Man (ask your pal if he saw the first 2 movies ;) ).
Most times when encountering these types of folks you just smile knowingly and move on.
I always enjoy finding the unknown gem (gave City of the Dead SE a spin last night, veddy nice). This poor slob cant have such joy, sad really. You really need an open mind with film, think of what you'd miss out on if you didnt watch movies because of such things as "it's in b&w" or "it's silent". Veddy sad.
Matt, dont let this guy's opinion (not that it's worth listening to anyway) get ya down ;)
Cheers.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I certainly like the list. Most people I know see that I have 300 films, but can only find one or two that they have a remote interest in. Only after I start getting them to watch the other films do the ask me to suggest a film for them.

You are ahead of your age range, and it sucks to be there. But you are all the better off for it.

PS : Matt - damn you for your signature pic. I'm going to have to go home and watch Hedwig again. I can't get "Wig in a Box" out of my head - even though when I saw it in the theater I though "Origin of Love" was the best song. I was convinced I need to own the film once the animation on that one began.

PPS : Rain - I FINALLY appreciate your signature pick. I never realized there was a significance to your pose...

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Matt, hang in there. I don't think any reasonable person has room to criticize your DVD collection.
Now, about that hat.... :D
Rob

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Rain,

Not that you asked me, but I'd start your Argento watching with SUSPIRIA.

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
My DVD collection is insulted pretty much anytime someone new sees it.
My DVD collection is insulted pretty much daily by my wife.

Every time I buy an old movie, she hasn't heard of she tells me that I'm polluting the collection.

Some resent ones:

Doctor Zhivago

From Here To Eternity

On the Water Front

After watching From Here to Eternity, she said "how many oscars did it win", I said "8 including best picture", she said "they must of had lower standards back then"

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
My Troma collection gets almost universal derision. The worst case though was my movie recommendation credibility being roundly dismissed by one girl because she found out I think Dumb and Dumber is one of the premier comedy titles of modern cinema. I think they should teach classes on screenwriting based on that movie.
What's that sound... further credibility being lost? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks