My DVD Audio on a PC experience.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeSHU, Oct 21, 2004.

1. MikeSHU

MikeSHU Agent

It doesn’t work. I have an M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 sound card and Diva Swan M200 studio monitors. The sound card supports 24bit/96Khz (which is the main reasons I bought it). The software, however, does not. The only software capable of playing the DVD-A layer (AUDIO_TS) of audio DVDs’ is InterVideo WinDVD 6 (the rest are only capable of playing the video layer where you won’t get above 24bits/48Khz). There is just one problem – due to licensing issues the only sound card it works with is the Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS. For all other sound cards the software downsamples the signal to 16bit/48Khz, even if you card support 24/96. It still sounds slightly better than CD audio which upsets me because I am obviously missing out on a lot by not getting the 24/96 I deserve. I basically found the answers (the hard way) to some of my question I asked previously: Yes, PC DVD-ROMs can read DVD-A disks. No, you cannot get the full potential of DVD Audio on a PC at the moment.

I am not willing to wait until InterVideo updates their software so can anyone suggest to me some good stand alone DVD-A player for about $100?

Thanks.

2. Allen.S

Allen.S Extra

The Pioneer 578 can be had a Best Buy for about $130. Plays DVD-A, SACD, MP3 and is a great Progressive Scan DVD player to boot.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Mike,

Have you considered buying the Audigy 2?

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea the hi-res situation on PCs suck, which is a shame because I'd like to get some more work out of my htpc. We were actually promised DVD-A play on PC with the Revolution 7.1 but the drivers never came to pass (they said licensing issues were to blame). A lot of us M-Audio owners are obviously tiffed, and my next card will definitely not be that brand.

Personally I'd buy the Pio 578 before the Audigy. Creative supposedly resamples everything to 48kHz in hardware (minus DVD-A).

5. MikeSHU

MikeSHU Agent

Thanks guys! I was actually looking at the Pioneere 578AS They have it at Best Buy for $99 and they usually have %15 off coupons that I'll wait for. It will come out to like $90 after tax, not bad. I think I'll keep the sound card though it's a great card. Maybe some time in the future the liscensing issues will be worked out, WinDVD won't be buggy as shit, and all will be well.

6. MikeSHU

MikeSHU Agent

I'm thinking of running the coaxal digital out to my sound cards input. That way my sound cards DAC will be used and not Pioneeres (right?). This is more convienient then me moving my speakers. Will this work? I won't loose signal quality due to distance since the PCM stream will remain digital until it hits my sound card, which will then convert it to analog and spit it back to my speakers?

Here's my question about the digital coax cable:

1. Does it HAVE TO be a special digital coax cable? Or is that a marketing scheme. Because I don't see why a standard RCA cable can't carry a digital signal, especially one that is error corrected.

2. Is there a difference between coaxal and optical digital out. There should be, right? I mean I can't imagine binary code of the optical output being of a higher quality than the coaxal's, LOL.

7. MikeSHU

MikeSHU Agent

"http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_DV_578A_S/4505-6473_7-30917074-4.html?tag=top"

This partially answered my question:

"Please note: Before you buy this or (almost) any other DVD-A/SACD player, make sure your A/V receiver has 5.1/multichannel analog inputs. The 578A's multichannel analog outputs are the only way to send SACD/DVD-A signals to your receiver. Its digital audio outputs transmit only CD/Dolby/DTS data."

That sucks. There's no DVD-A/SACD player that can spit out the signal in raw PCM/DSD? I would probably loose alot of quality running this to my sound cards analog inputs. I would need about 6 feet of RCA cable and I don't have money for the high quality type.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

hi-resolution audio for 6 channels needs more bandwidth than S/PDIF can offer. There are ways around it:

High-priced Pioneer universal player with proprietary digital connection to a high-priced Pio Elite receiver. Other manufacturers offer this type of feature too.

Get your play modded with high quality DACs. $_$

Good quality inexpensive cables here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=263-485

Hang out in the audio sources forums, either here or at AVS for tons of info. Given that the 578 is priced so low hints that another one is on the way. Then there's the Yammy and Samsung models which show promise.