What's new

My DTS observation. (1 Viewer)

Tonight I bought T2 Extreme edition even though I already have the Ultimate edition because I finally have a hdtv :) and I'm getting really avid about Picture quality. Well anyhow I love the Picture on the Extreme Edition but I've always loved the DTS sound on the Ultimate Edition.
So I watched the scene where Arnie walks down the hall with the sawed-off in the box of roses and comes face to face with Agent Dogett. I watched both editions at my usually volume level on my Onkyo receiver 50. The DTS had a powerful punch when Arnie shot his gun. Then in the Extreme Edition the same scene and gunshots lacked the Punch they had in DTS so I felt bummed out. But! I had a hunch. So I watched the same scene on the Extreme Edition again but I turned my volume up to 55. And it sounded just as good as the DTS!?
Any thoughts?

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
DTS tracks are louder than the DD tracks on a vast majority of titles. You probably just volume matched the tracks.

I am sure if this thread starts yet another DTS vs. DD war, this point will be made quit a few times by DD supporters as why they think DTS supporters think they are hearing better sound....

And DTS supporters will say they compare on matched volumes and still hear a difference....

And then there will be a couple of posts stating that this can of worms has been opened many times here before, asking not to open it again, and realizing that is too late....

The DD supporters will ask the DTS supporters for evidence...

They will link to a thread where a fair test was performed...

Arguements over how fair that test was will ensue...

Graphs will be posted....

Arguements over whether these graphs indicate different mixes will ensue...

Things will start to become very personal...

And the thread will die off with neither side surrendering to the other or being able to claim victory.

-----

So please, let's not open that can of worms again.

Oops, too late. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
:laugh:

(I'm not meaning to offend the original poster, just expressing delight over the accuracy of Aaron's post.)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yeah, I think Aaron has hit every point. We should cut and paste that into every new DTS/DD thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

M.

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
Not to be offensive, but his english may be a bit off in his post (sorry for being so blunt). This is how I interpret his thread. He has T2 Ultimate Edition and loves watching it configured in DTS. He bought T2 Extreme Edition to enjoy this DVD's support for HDTV's. The T2 Extreme Edition also has a DTS soundtrack. When compared to the Ultimate Edition, the Extreme Edition lacks the audio impact of the Ultimate Edition when viewed at the same volume level in DTS. I hope this clairifies things and we can get some more input on this thread. I, for one, have the Ultimate Edition and am satisfied with it's audio and picture quality. I have yet to sample the the Extreme Edition. I was actually thinking of buying it but thought it was just a marketing ploy because it was released shortly before T3....

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The only thing 'HD' about this release is if you play the WMP9 encoded content via a HTPC. Otherwise it is just a decent transfer.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
DTS tracks are louder than the DD tracks on a vast majority of titles. You probably just volume matched the tracks.
I agree. I don't think there is much of a difference in CODECS, but many sound mixers have said here that the DD tracks are usually dynamically compressed to a higher degree then the DTS track.

That could account for the difference.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks