What's new

My dream STAR WARS set (1 Viewer)

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Well the CG Yoda was great in AotC but they don't really need him CG in TESB and RotJ so why do it really, the puppet was good enough. As for Shaw I would leave him in, I mean it's not like there going to go back replace Guiness with McGregor as old Obi-Wan. At the most I would like to see something reminiscent of the end of Titanic to be honest with like a shot of Anakin(hayden) and Padme together than fade to credits, nice way to end the saga IMO, that and Im kinda upset that after EpIII Padme will be almost non-exsistent in the OT so it would be nice to fit her in somehow.

I think it would be a good idea to release the orginals but im not going to get all upset if he doesnt and boycott the movies or something I'll still be pumped and excited when I go out to buy the box set.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Brenton, I don't think it's hypocrisy. As per the reasons I stated further back in the thread. If it's only fixing imaging problems, not changing the story by changing scenes, adding scenes, deleteing scenes, changing dialogue, then it's just like working on a better print.

This is just cleaning up the image as much as possible. Not unlike when they try to make the best DVD transfer possible from original source media. As long as the content, scenes, dialogue, what is in the scene, etc., is not changed, then I personally would still consider it original.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
If they're gonna CG Yoda, they should do it subtly, for better lip sync and more facial expression, like they did with E.T.

At the most I would like to see something reminiscent of the end of Titanic to be honest with like a shot of Anakin(hayden) and Padme together than fade to credits, nice way to end the saga IMO
What I'd like to see is a montage of Anakin's life flash before his eyes just before he dies, similar to to what happens to Michael Corleone in The Godfather III. This was also described in the ROTJ novel. They could use the music that plays at the very end of the AOTC soundtrack score (transition from Anakin's theme to the love theme to the Imperial march). This was not used in the movie end credits, which leads me to believe that Lucas is saving it for just this purpose. If you have the AOTC soundtrack CD, listen to the very end of the last track.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
10. Fix the CG Jabba the Hutt making him look more like he did in The Phantom Menace only older and fatter.
11. Remove the shot of Han stepping on Jabba's tail
Better yet, remove the scene altogether. The Greedo scene makes it redundant anyway.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Lucas would never replace ESB Yoda with CG. He is one of the biggest fans of Oz & co.'s achievement in that film. Now, ROTJ? Maybe.

All I'm looking for other than better FX continuity is, if he decides to keep Greedo shooting first, at least make it look less awkward than it does.

But here's something for you. Notice that in the OT there are no aliens in the rebellion until "Jedi". Do you think he will add alien races in, for instance, the Hoth battle?

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
The shadows are not a mistake. If you can't see through the white-hot core of the blade, then neither can the light source. Thus: a shadow!
The blade would light the shadow up, thus: no shadow!

Actually, I don't know. The blade's light seems sort of weak. The blade itself seems really bright, but the only time I remember seeing it reflect off of anything was during the Anakin vs. Dooku battle in the dark in AotC.

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
My Dream SW DVD Set would be a big Death Star Case and somehow you open the casing and all 6 disc for all SW movies come out as you open the Death Star with possibly another disc with all the extras.
They could even take it a step further and offer a Death Star Case or a Darth Vader Bust case.
I think something like this would be way to cool sitting near my TV.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought about that. They might still be at ends. I sure hope not, because I would love to hear Kurtz's input.
Considering that Rick McCallum and Lucas were recorded seperately and spliced together (as a matter of fact, it sounded like only the tech dudes were in the same room together) into the track, I think the same could be done with Kurtz and Lucas without it turning into an uninformative awkward and/or confrontational mess.

Assuming Kurtz can keep his frustration at Lucas from taking center stage, I'd love to hear what he has to say as well.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Just read an interview with Kurtz. He and Lucas are not at odds, and they occasionally talk and say hello. I think a commentary would be a big possibility.

But here's something for you. Notice that in the OT there are no aliens in the rebellion until "Jedi". Do you think he will add alien races in, for instance, the Hoth battle?
That would be fantastic.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't think it would be.
I'd like to know how you fit roughly 3 1/2 hours of high-quality video with 5.1 EX sound on a DVD-9.

First, the opening logos are different on each version. Every optical shot (most of the film) will be digitally recomposited or restored. Audio mixes will be slightly different (due to remixing). The definitive version will have new scenes added in.

Theoretically, it's possible that no frame is exactly alike between the 1977 theatrical edition and the future definitive version. So...it's either them on separate discs with minimal compression (2 hours on a DVD-9 allows a LOT of room for breathing) or a DVD-9 with 2 versions of the movie that look like something Madacy would put out.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
I would also buy the original and "super-califragilistic" versions of Star Wars. I like SOME of the new effects, but can't stand Greedo shooting first.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my Definitive Collection LD's in PCM Dolby Surround. I will soon get the THX "Faces" set for everyday viewing (fewer flips). I may also purchase the Special Edition LD's, before Lucas changes THEM also (or calls them a rough cut!)

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I like SOME of the new effects, but can't stand Greedo shooting first.
You know what would be the ultimate in coolness? In the setup menu, have a list of all of the "major" changes (i.e. Greedo shoots first, Hayden is replaced as ghost in the end, extra Jabba scene, digital Yoda in ESB and ROTJ, etc) and have a checkmark next to each major change such that the user can pick and choose which version is desired (i.e. Original Greedo scene, new Yoda scenes, etc) and then the feature plays via seamless branching so that you are literally watching a custom version (and there are theoretically hundreds of possible versions of each movie). This is completely impractical and could never happen (due to the hiccups from so many seamless branches), but how cool would that be?

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
At the very least, just give me the original non-SE trilogy with remastered video and digital sound and I'll be one happy camper. Anything added to that would be gravy.

TysonK

Agent
For the last few years, I have been thinking about the inevitable star wars box set. I was even reluctant to buy attack of the clones because by buying the eventual box set, I'll have two copies of that movie. But I caved in because I don't anticipate a box set til 2006-2007. I'm thinking and hoping that what we know of the last two star wars dvds released so far will not be included in the box set. Instead, I'm anticipating something different and unique. Possibly remastered in HI DEF dvd, dts or the next sound format, maybe extended versions of I and II and III (deleted scenes added back in the movie). Maybe Lucas may edit all 6 movies into one long epic like Coppola did with the Godfather laserdiscs. He may even release the original trilogy in 2 disc sets separately and then come out with the ultimate saga (one gigantic movie) in a a real nice box set. Regardless, like any star wars fan, I will spend my hard earned cash and buy all the movies again and again.:)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
On topic: My dream SW DVD set.
One where the featurettes doesn't have to end with some "cooked up" or "forced" funny scene to give the impression that there is a relaxed atmosphere on the set, when you can really feel that the atmosphere is tense.
One where everybody is not acting like they're totally looking up to George Lucas all the time and have to make excuses that they're showing him some unfinished product.
One where Rick McCallum does not fulsomely praise the movies every 5 minutes, it makes me physically sick!
That's just my opinion, and I guess most people disagree - oh well... :)
Oh, I actually liked the R2D2 "mockumentary" on AOTC...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
One where the featurettes doesn't have to end with some "cooked up" or "forced" funny scene to give the impression that there is a relaxed atmosphere on the set, when you can really feel that the atmosphere is tense.
Sigh...

Back on topic:

I really really wish Lucas would assemble ALL cut footage and put it back into the movies. Is there really ANY reason not to do so? These movies are already timeless...why not include all footage possible?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I really really wish Lucas would assemble ALL cut footage and put it back into the movies. Is there really ANY reason not to do so? These movies are already timeless...why not include all footage possible?
Because not all footage is worth putting back. A lot of deleted scenes were deleted for good reasons.

The only deleted scene I want to see back in Star Wars is the reunion between Biggs and Luke in the Yavin hanger. Without that, the dialog during the attack doesn't mean as much.

KrisM

Second Unit
My ultimate set would include the original trilogy with the best sound and picture possible. I don't need the special editions, trailers, or any other extras. Oh, and it would be on my shelf right now. I need a movie to watch today.:)
As far as the original trilogy being released, I think it will be. I just don't think Lucas will include it with the first wave of DVDs. Knowing Lucas he will release the special editions or brand-new special editions. He will tell everybody that the originals will never be available and a few years later the originals will come out and everybody will buy them again. Just my opinion.
Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks