My dog's afraid of the Match Game (and other doggy quirks)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Greg_S_H, May 1, 2006.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Several nights in a row, my dog would suddenly get up with her tail between her legs and slink out of the room. I finally figured out that it happened every time someone got a wrong answer on the Match Game. She hates the buzzer! Funny thing is, as she was leaving one time, Gene Rayburn said, "Did we get new batteries for the buzzer? It sounds louder than usual tonight!" Yeah, you aren't the only one who noticed. [​IMG]

She's also afraid of thunder and lights. She's getting worse about lights. It used to be that turning on a flashlight would have her heading for the bathtub, but now she'll even kind of tense up at car lights while we're walking. Searchlights in the sky do it, too. I was worried that it might be a problem with her eyesight, but she checked out okay at the vet. I think it may actually stem from the fact that she's a very smart dog with a good memory, and there were several times in the past few months where a neighbor was out with a flashlight. I think she sees the lights and momentarily thinks it might be that flashlight again. Plus, she's just always been a fairly neurotic dog. It makes me kind of sad for her at times, but it's just her personality and I love her for it.

Any quirks you've noticed in your dog?

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I used to have a Sheltie that absolutely hated the theme music from the original Law & Order. As soon as that bom-boom came on, she would run around barking her head off. Didn't do it for any of the spin-offs.

I miss her sometimes as she passed away 2 years ago. Can't watch L&O without thinking about her.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

My Grandma's beagle mix used to cower and hide at the sound of anybody making a "raspberries" sound. My Mom claims it stemmed from the dog finding herself under my Dad's chair at the wrong time.

4. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

My dog hates thunder. She freaks out! I hate it when a thunderstorm blows through at 2:00 am because our dog will jump into our bed and try to sit on our heads.

- Colton

5. Greg_S_H

Greg
    My dog paces the floor or gets in the bathtub when there's thunder out.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

One of my boxers that I used to have was very afraid of thunder after lightning hit about 20 or 25 feet from my house, which souded like a bomb going off. After that she'd shake uncontrollably, whine, run, and jump all over whenever there was a thunderstorm. Because of this, she was also afraid of fireworks going off on the 4th of July.

My pug now is afraid of any new food or treats he's given. He'll sniff it a little bit and then run away. i have to tell him quite a few times that it's ok to eat. He's also afraid of my guinea pigs, and acts like they're attacking him if I put any of them near him.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Are you sure it wasn't Brett Sommers' voice? [​IMG]

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

My Pug hates crowd noise on the TV from sporting events, and attacks the TV when she hears it.

Stephen? A Pug afraid of food? I never thought that possible.

9. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Well, he's a weird pug. If it's a food he loves, he can't get enough of it, but if it's new he sniffs it and backs away. he's the first picky pug I've ever had or met. One pug trait he's more than full of is thinking he's bigger than he really is.

10. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I have a classmate with a service dog. We got to calling him the "Poltergeist pup" the other day because he curled up under one of the work benches, and laid on the foot pedal for a flexshaft. The gal who was standing next to the flexshaft just about jumped out of her skin, since the silly thing started up with no one next to her.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg

No, hearing that drives ME out of the room. [​IMG]

12. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

We have an open plan house; meaning most of the 1st floor is one big room. The smoke alarm there is WAY overly sensitive. I like my pizza well done and even tho it's not burnt it will sometimes set off the alarm - which is wired throughout the house. Now whenever I make pizza the dog starts pacing around not knowing where to go and will often insist on going outside and crawling under the deck.

He doesn't like thunder either. This is normal in a dog, but we feel really bad for him. We just moved here from California where thunder is rare. He can't settle anywhere and he's constantly jumping on and off the bed, whining, going into the closets and various bathrooms, etc. As a result nighttime thunderstorms insure that we dont get any sleep either!

-paul

13. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

My dog Yogi hated the noise of the vaccum cleaner. She always ran to the other side of the house or outside whenever it was on. Even if it was off and you were simply putting it back or taking it to the room that needed to be cleaned, she would growl and bark at it and eventually run away.

Weird thing was storms never bothered her.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Wow, a lot of these dogs sound like they have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder!

Hmmm, I can't remember any of my previous dogs' neuroses.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    mine is afraid of wine.

whenever we get a bottle out she runs and hides.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Maybe she is afraid of the aftermath? [​IMG]

17. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Our old border collie was afraid of water (from the time my older siblings threw him in a lake).

He also wasn't too fond of fireworks. Back before the party poopers got all but professional fireworks banned around here, you always knew where to find him on the Fourth of July: in the garage, under the car, whining like a puppy.

18. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

Of course my dog hates thunder. But the weird things he is afraid of are any kind of flying insect that buzzes. He doesn't do well with flies in the house or outside in the summer. He is also afraid of the vapor trail from a jet. It gets so bad at certain times of the year where he'll stand at the window looking out before we go outside for a walk. Once he sees a vapor trail his tail is between his legs and all 85 Lbs of Akita is dragging you home as fast as he can. (a jet with no trail doesn't bother him.)

What i don't get is how he came to be afraid of them. Flashlights i can understand. Buzzers i can understand. But there's no way a long thin cloud in the sky ever came out of nowhere and scared him.

19. Greg_S_H

Greg

That sounds exactly like my dog. She paces around, going in an out of various rooms, hoping to find some kind of haven from the thunder. I've had her since she was a puppy, and she's never had a traumatic experience, so it's not any kind of PTSD. I guess some dogs are just wired that way. She's a golden retriever/lab mix, and my other little lab doesn't care about the thunder at all. And that one had a rough time before I got her. She was abandoned by a lake, and apparently some teenage boys made sport of throwing rocks and doing other mean things to her, and her tail was caught in some kind of a trap that really had it messed up for a while. When I first got her, she was always trying to escape. She even figured out how to climb over the gate one time. Now, I could leave the gate open and she wouldn't even budge from the yard.

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I don't have a dog, but I have a cockatiel...Besides flipping out over the seagull noises at the beginning of Sponge Bob, my bird goes nuts when he hears the opening theme to the Simpsons.

I think it's the harp noise.