What's new

My dog has been put to sleep (2 Viewers)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Today we found that our faithful dog, Katie, had a tumor that, by the vet's estimate, took up 1/3 to 1/2 of her abdomen. The dog was 14 years old, almost 15, and she had had her share of problems lately so we made the difficult decision to have her put down.

What really gets to me is that both my sisters (ages 13 [to be 14 Sunday] and 11) have never known life without her. They are both at camp right now, so I am dreading how my parents are going to have to break it to them once they get home.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Matthew, I'm really sorry to hear that. :frowning:
It's a really tough thing to go through, you have my deepest sympathy.
Take care,
Mike

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

my sympathies also - pets become a part of the family, especially these days, and losing them is like losing part of oneself.

Your sisters will confront a hard reality when they come back... it might be a little early to think about this, but consider getting a replacement with them after they have had a chance to deal with it.

All the best for all of you!

Mike

Scott W.

Second Unit
Me and my family recently went through the same thing, having to put our Golden Retreiver dog to sleep. I was so depressed after leaving the Vet, that I told my family that i'd be getting drunk that night. My parents than said that our dog "Sandy" wouldn't want you to do that. So I never did get drunk on any day after putting her down, but godI know it hurts. Hate to hear that you had to put down your dog because of a tumor too.

Scott

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,

I am so sorry. I can't bear to think about that event. I once ran into a guy who told me he couldn't have another dog because he couldn't stand the thought of out living the dog.

Peace

Grant

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, I am really sorry to hear that. I know how painful that is. My dog, Tucker, is almost 12 and his best days are far behind him. I know that day is coming and it just makes me appreciate every day I have with him. It just seems like yesterday when I put down my last dog. I don't know what advice to give but I can say I am honestly sorry. This may be the HTF (AKA cat forum) but I feel alright in saying that dogs are the best friends one can ever find; the true meaning of unconditional love. Again, sorry about your loss but it sounds like Katie had a great life and that is what is really important when it is all said and done. :emoji_thumbsup:

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
That's terrible news Matthew. I feel bad for you and your family, and especially bad for your sisters, that's going to be tough for them when they come home. My Cocker was put to sleep at the ripe old age of 14 1/2. Granted she was living with my parents at the time, and I was in my 20's by then, but she was my dog and it really hurt. I believe every dog has a unique personality and are as good as family (and in some cases better).

Here's to Katie, let's hope that she's chasing rabbits in a large field and napping in the sun whenever she feels like it now.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Inscription on the Monument of a Newfoundland Dog
Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who
possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the Virtues of Man,
without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning
Flattery if inscribed over human
ashes is but a just tribute to the Memory
of Boatswain, a Dog.
--Lord Byron

chris_everett

Second Unit
My deepest sympathy to you and your family Matthew.

WALK WITH AN OLD DOG*

Because you will not be forever,*

Hope against time though I may,*

Paint your picture in my memory,*

Eyes blue with age, muzzle gone gray.*

Because you walked with me in Springtime,*

Puppy-clumsy, running free.*

As you grew, we grew together--*

You became a part of me.*

Because I shared with you my sorrows,*

Not understanding-- simply there.*

Often spurring me to laughter--*

My friend, you know how much I care.*

Because the years have slowed your fleetness,*

Though your spirit still is strong.*

I promise I will take more time now,*

So that you can go along.*

Because you do not fear the future,*

Living only in the now,*

I draw strength from your example--*

Yet time keeps slipping by somehow.*

Because the day will soon be coming*

When I will no longer see*

You rise to greet me - but in memory*

You will always walk with me.*

~ Gayl Jokiel ~

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
My sympathies, Matthew. Anyone who has a dog who lives to that age has done well by them. It is always tough to let them go, but sometimes it really is best. I've had numerous dogs in the past 50 years and I loved them all.
Dogs are very understanding, and they would always want you to have the companionship of another dog, as a way of honoring their memory.
If you do a search for Rainbow Bridge, you will find a beautiful poem. Some of the sites are a bit over the top, but every time I read it I get choked up.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,

You have my deepest sympathies, and I am truly sorry for your loss. I cannot fathom what you must be going through right now, as my wife and I have 2 dogs (how we met) and I can't bear to think of the day they are no longer with us.

Dogs are more than "man's best friend", they are family with an unbreakable bond. I am sure Katie had a wonderful life and a truly great family who gave her nothing but love and happiness. Be strong through this difficult time for yourself and your family.

Pete

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
it might be a little early to think about this, but consider getting a replacement with them after they have had a chance to deal with it.
I don't think my dad really likes the idea of another pet. And I don't think Katie could ever be replaced.

Note that the veterinarian said that surgery was not out of the question, but my parents and I were too afraid she would not even make it through the surgery.

One thing that influenced my mom's decision was the fact that her mother died of cancer six years ago. She did well for the first few months, but took a turn for the worst, suffering greatly for a few weeks before finally passing away. I was 13 at the time.

The first time I had to deal with the loss of a family pet, I was 8. It was an accidental death, and for me it was devastating.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Matthew:
Sorry to hear of your loss, and I hope your sisters handle it okay.
Pets are family members, and their loss is devastating, I know. (I've had to put two cats down in the last three years.)
Hang in there, and keep an eye out for another pet. No, it would never be a "replacement" for Katie. But in a few weeks or months, a new pet will help fill the void, and give a lot of happiness. :) Just try to remember the good times with Katie, and that she probably wouldn't like it if you were sad. :)
Lastly, when I first had to put a pet down, the vet gave me a card with this poem on it. It's all over the 'net, so you may have encountered it. Made me cry, but made me feel good too.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent. Her eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown
Hang in there Matthew. All the best to you and your family.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
In a way, the pain of the loss of a pet is almost worse than a loved person. You feel so lonely, because you feel that no one else will understand or sympathize with your grief in the same way as a human loss. I found myself crying in the shower when I had to put down my cat, a cat that I never even liked. I felt that I couldn't share this emotion with anyone, until now, with you guys. I felt so empty and lost until I saved a new cat from the shelter. Please get another dog, and you have my sympathies and understanding.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
My condolences. I had to put my dog to sleep about 5 years ago and it still saddens me if I think about it.
I found her in the rain at night and wondered why she wasn't coming inside. I discovered that she had a stroke and couldn't walk. She just kept flailing about.
I took her to the animal shelter in the morning with my brother. I was calm about the whole thing, even as I walked into the building to make the arrangements. I was overwhelmed with tears as soon as the guy at the counter asked how he could help me. I was so choked up that I couldn't speak a single word. He gave me a form to fill out and instructions all without me telling him why I was there in the first place. I balled the whole time and never spoke a word.
Luckily my brother was with me so that he could take over driving home since I couldn't muster the energy. I'm not much of an emotional guy but I guess I wasn't prepared or realized how much this loss meant to me.:frowning:
If you're ready then I would also recommend getting another dog to love.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
For a heartfelt take on the relationship between dogs and people take a look at the wonderful original Twilight Zone episode The Hunt. I've always loved that episode and think it most noble.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, sorry for your loss.

What you don't know about the Pearly Gates:

An Angel just appeared to me,

And he said, "You should cry no more,

GOD also loves our canine friends,

HE's installed a 'doggy-door"!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Matthew,

My little dog is lying on my lap right now wondering why I'm crying and hugging her.

It's because reading of your loss has reminded me that someday I too will have to say good bye to the best friend I've ever had and the only creature on this earth who's ever loved me totally and unconditionally.

Katie was lucky to have a family that loved her and cared for her so well over the years, so many wonderful dogs don't. Hopefully you will soon feel up to providing another wonderful animal with a loving home.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
The House Dog's Grave (to "Haig," an English Bulldog)
I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
Except in a kind of dream; and you, if you dream a moment,
You see me there.
So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
The marks of my drinking-pan.
I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
On the warm stone,
Nor at the foot of your bed; no, all the night through
I lie alone.
But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
And where you sit to read--and I fear often grieving for me--
Every night your lamplight lies on my place.
You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
To think of you ever dying
A little dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope than when you are lying
Under the ground like me your lives will appear
As good and joyful as mine.
No, dear, that's too much hope: you are not so well cared for
As I have been.
And never have known the passionate undivided
Fidelities that I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided. . . .
But to me you were true.
You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours.
Robinson Jeffers, 1941

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Matthew,

I think your family did the right thing for your freind.

Our Great Dane died in January of this year, and I miss him terribly. Never more than a few feet away from me at any time. I could reach and pat him on the head... I always knew he was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks