My dog died.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moe Maishlish, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

It's with a very heavy heart that I write this...
    I found out late today that my family had to put Rexy to sleep yesterday. He was 14 year old.
    Rex had been showing signs of age in the last year. We first started noticing it as he was having trouble with his hind legs. Then, about 8 months ago he developed some bumps/moles on his body which would bleed intermittently, obvoiusly causing him discomfort. He also started losing some fur on his body at this time, which the vet could not really explain. He also became somewhat incontinent, and could not control his bowel movements... which would end up with him relieving himself in the house (which was no fun for the family...).
    Regardless of all this however, he still remained a happy dog. I once read on this forum in a similar thread that, if the tail is still wagging, the dog is still happy, and still has a reason to live.
    On Sunday night and Monday during the day, we had some pretty terrible thunder storms in the Toronto area. Like most dogs, Rexy didn't really like these storms very much, and would shake uncontrollably until they were over. On Monday morning, my parents noticed that he could not stop shaking, and was having a lot of trouble moving.
    My mom took him to the vet yesterday morning, and from what I can gather, they told her that it was probably his heart, and that he was suffering (and they could not do anything about it). There and then, they put him to sleep. Unfortunately, neither myself of my sisters were informed of the decision until after the deed was done. We did not have a chance to say goodbye. [​IMG]
    Needless to say, both myself and my sister are pretty upset by the whole situation. My dog, my best friend since childhood is no longer with us. It's further compounded by the fact that I wasn't able to see him one last time. I can understand my parents' motives and don't fault them at all (they are in grief too), but it still hurts to know that I wasn't there to pat him on the head, scratch him behind the ear, and tell him I love him. My one sister feels the same.
    My other sister is currently in Cancun Mexico on vacation, and she will be ruturning on July 28th (her 25th birthday) to this news. I've decided to call her and tell her tomorrow morning to tell her what happened. They way I see it, it's better that she find out now (while on vacation), and have friends to lean on in a beautiful environment, then to spring this kind of news on her when she returns, thereby spoiling her birthday, and any residual effect that the vacation may have given her. I've weighed the options, and I think this is best.
    Rexy was my first pet (goldfish not included...), and I realize that this is part of life. Yet it's so unfair that we are destined to outlive such amazing creatures that bring us such comfort, and bless us with their unconditional love.
    I'll miss him dearly.
    Moe.

2. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

So sorry to hear about your loss.
    Pets are like people and we become quite attached to them.
    I have three dogs of my own (Chihuahua's) and can't imagine life without them. I know they will get old and die someday but I try to keep that out of my mind.
    One of my dogs..my tried and true blue friend (the one I've had the longest 5 years old)got real sick once (he's an epileptic and has seizures) they told me something might be wrong with his pancreous (sp?) and that he might not make it through the night. He was admitted into the animal hospital. I came to see him the next morning and his tail started wagging and he jumped up in the cage. I left and returned later that night to the wonderful news that he was going to make it and could be taken off the I.V fluids. The vet said that my being there seemed to really make a difference and somewhat brought him out of this (that along with the medications they were giving him)
    I'm so thankful he is still with me.
    I've lost pets before and I can feel your pain. It hurts to lose someone thats always been there for you. Dogs are mans best friend and show such unconditional love.
    I hope you will feel better soon and that you can remember the happy times with him and know that he loved you and loved being a part of your family.

Peace,
    Eve

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Awe, that's sad Moe, hopefully he's in a better place. Do you plan on trying to find another dog once everyone has settle back down?

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I'm sorry to hear that Moe. [​IMG] Rex sounds like a great dog. It's sad you didn't get to say goodbye, but it sounds very much like he knew he was loved.
    http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/

5. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear that, Moe. Seems like losing pets is like losing a part of oneself.
    We had a german shepherd when I grew up. Happy, playful ol' codger he was, too. Got him when he was a puppy (and I was 8), raised him, then had to leave him behind with some good friends when we left that country 11 years later; my parents felt he could not make it through the (rather strict) quarantine procedures into Europe. I did not know about it until afterwards, I thought he would end up going over there with them. Anyway, to make a long story short, he essentially died of a broken heart a few weeks after we left. Escaped a few times, found in the old naighborhood we used to live in. Then wouldn't touch his food anymore. [​IMG] Breaks my heart all over again just thinking about it. I wouldn't talk to my family for weeks after that.
    I couldn't have a dog for a long time after that. Just couldn't bear the possibility of loss again. However, a few years ago we got another dog (SPCA of course), only to find out after a while that her hips are essentially shot and she will have to have either very expensive surgery ($2.5K per hip) or put under in a few more years... and she is a wonderful critter to have around.
    Tempus fugit.
    Mike

6. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    The pawprints left on your heart will never be forgotten.

My sincerest condolences.

7. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

Hi

I am really sorry to hear about your sad loss. I have grown up with dogs and each has been my best friend. Who else sits up all night waiting for you to come home and still wags his tail?

I found this (author unknown) a little whilst ago which I thought was really moving. It is well worth checking it out.

"Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or
    maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together......."

Best wishes

Zak

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I feel your pain, man. As a lifelong dog lover, I know when you've lost a dog, you've truly lost a member of the family. They're just so loyal and give their love unconditionally, even when we don't always deserve it. The two Labs I have now are really the first dogs I can call all my own and I'll be heartbroken when I lose either of them. Hang in there.

9. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    So sorry to hear you lost your friend. There are a host of others who understand.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

First and foremost my thoughts go out to you on this great loss. I too know what it means to lose a life long friend but let me tell you that it may have actually have been easier on both you and your sister not having to be there.
    3 years ago I went through an almost identical situation as you. We had received our Australian Shepherd when I was around 2-3 years old and he was with us for 21 years. Guy was really old but as you stated could still wag his little stump around so we knew he was happy. Well I was already at college living away from home when my mom called me in the middle of the day. Seems that all of a sudden he just lost all feeling in his hind end and couldnt do anything but drag himself around the house with his front feet. He lost bowel functions was in a lot of pain. Well my father was away hunting and couldnt be reached so I came out and decided with my mom that it was time to take him in and put him to sleep.
    Now first we have always buried our animals on our farm so I had to go out and dig his grave and let me tell you that was the second hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I balled like a baby (no joke) and it took nearly everything out of me. Second the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life was take him in with my mom to the Vet to get the shot to put him asleep. My mom couldnt take it so I had to hold him while they gave the shot. That was by far the hardest single thing I have ever had to do so far in my life but I knew it was for the best. We then took him home and buried him under a tree in my parents yard. My dad actually dropped the phone when we finally got a hold of him so I can tell you it is a terrible experience to go through. The reason why it was such a sad experience is that he wasnt a pet he was a part of our family, a loved one that will never be forgotten. Hold your thoughts about that guy close and never forget the good times you had together.
    KyleS
    PS hell my eyes are tearing up writing this thinking about him and that was 3 years ago. [​IMG]

11. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I'm sorry to hear about your loss it is always tough when you lose a loved pet.

Just one word of advice, if you haven't called your sister wait until she gets home. It really would do no good to tell her while she is on vacation.

12. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm sorry about your loss. I don't know how I'll react when it's time for my dog.

I agree with Patrick, do not tell your sister until she gets home. She may resent you not telling at first but with time will realize that it is better that you waited.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

As a fellow dog lover who has lost two over the years, I feel your pain. You have my deepest sympathies.

14. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
    I was reading through this thread this morning as I was preparing for work, and that's when I finally broke down. It's the first time since I heard the news that I actually managed to cry, and I felt a lot better after that.
    How's that for The Home Theater Support Group. [​IMG]
    I weighed my options carefully with regards to calling my sister and telling her about the dog. The decision I made was based on knowing my sister, and knowing her reaction to the news when she would return from vacation. The fact that the news would be broken to her on the afternoon of her birthday would be a low blow - a lot worse than finding out while she was on vacation.
    I called her this morning, and told her about it. Her first reaction to hearing my voice (we rarely talk on the phone, so my calling her in Cancun immediately told her that something had happened) was to ask about my parents. I told her they were fine, but there was an incident with the dog. She understood, and thanked me for calling her.
    My point of view (and she agreed with me when I explained my motivations for calling) was that it would be better not to withhold this kind of information from her for days. She's also in a relaxing environment, which would help her process the information, and maybe take an afternoon of solitude on a beach somewhere and reflect on things.
    Nevertheless, I know that it's going to be difficult for her when she returns home on Sunday. My hope is that the shock has been eliminated, thereby reducing the negative effect on her & my family (my sister does NOT take this kind of news well!) I haven't been home yet, as I don't live with my parents anymore, but know that I'm going to need to excuse myself to the bathroom to have a good cry when Rexy doesn't greet me by the door, tongue out and tail waving.
    As I write this at work, I can feel my eyes welling up with tears. I hope no one sees me. :b
    Moe.

15. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Moe, it really saddened me to read that, as it does whenever I read about someone having to let go of a pet. These stories always make me remember how much I love my kitty-cat and how I should spend as much time with her as possible, because you just never know.[​IMG]

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Please accept my condolences. A pet of 14 years, especially a dog, is a real part of a family. I trust he gave you many years of good service and friendship. Are you going to get another dog soon?

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I'm sorry about your loss.

~T

19. Rain

Rain Producer

Moe,
    Please accept my sincerest condolences.
    And don't be ashamed at all about crying over your loss. I think many of us would be doing the same thing if it were one of our beloved four-legged pals.
    When you are ready I hope you will consider adopting another puppy from your local shelter. I'm sure Rexy would approve. [​IMG]
    Take care.

20. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Sorry to hear of your loss.....
    This is a thoughtful poem of another's lost friend:

The House Dog's Grave
    (Haig, an English Bulldog)
    -Jeffers

I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
    Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
    Except in a kind of dream; and you, if you dream a moment,
    You see me there.

So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
    Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
    And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
    The marks of my drinking-pan.

I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
    On the warm stone,
    Nor at the foot of your bed; no, all the nights through
    I lie alone.

But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
    Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
    And where you sit to read - and I fear often grieving for me -
    Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
    To think of you ever dying.
    A little dog would get tired, living so long.
    I hope that when you are lying

Under the ground like me your lives will appear
    As good and joyful as mine.
    No, dears, that's too much to hope; you are not so well cared for
    As I have been.

And never have known the passionate undivided
    Fidelities that I knew.
    Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided....
    But to me you were true.

You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
    I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
    To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
    I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours.