My DIY non flexy rack - what do you think & any tips for me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Carswell, May 2, 2002.

1. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

After looking at my pitiful excuse for a rack, I finally made the decision to build another one. There were lots of different designs I was considering as seen here . I wanted something different, cool, and original. Oh yah. Affordable too [​IMG]. I decided to copy the shape of my speaker. It has a "home plate type shape". I will be using glass for the shelves. When completed it will be painted black with a high gloss polyurethane clear coat finish to match my components. So, take a look and tell me what you master DIY guys think. Any suggestions, comments, or ideas are very welcome.
    MY D.I.Y. RACK
    [​IMG]

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Hey Chris,

Looks like a cool design. First I would recommend using MDF for the top and bottom. It will be easier to give a clean finish (especially on edges) and sometimes plywood will tend to separate. If you weren't painting it black then I would suggest solid wood (Furniture grade pine or oak). The only other concerne is the glass shelves. Regular double strength may not be enough. Check with a glass supply shop and check, but you will probably need tempered glass which is more $$$.

BIll

3. Chris Carswell

Hey Bill,
    Thanks for the reply. I've had a few ??? about the glass. It looks like I will go with the tempered. As for the top I'm not 100% sure what to do. I want to have a little wood grain to it to match my speakers but......The MDF would be the best way to go. I think I'm starting to lean to the MDF. [​IMG]

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Chris what did you do with the old BellO Rack? Spice rack?

5. Chris Carswell

I dispersed the pieces evenly across the universe, only to have some parts re-appear in other projects [​IMG]
    I never could get it right. It was one of my 1st projects but turned out too wobbly for me and wires were all over the place. I also wanted something more enclosed.
    I'm going to the glass shop today to see how much more the good stuff is..........