What's new

My DIY non flexy rack - what do you think & any tips for me (1 Viewer)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
After looking at my pitiful excuse for a rack, I finally made the decision to build another one. There were lots of different designs I was considering as seen here . I wanted something different, cool, and original. Oh yah. Affordable too :). I decided to copy the shape of my speaker. It has a "home plate type shape". I will be using glass for the shelves. When completed it will be painted black with a high gloss polyurethane clear coat finish to match my components. So, take a look and tell me what you master DIY guys think. Any suggestions, comments, or ideas are very welcome.
MY D.I.Y. RACK
:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Hey Chris,

Looks like a cool design. First I would recommend using MDF for the top and bottom. It will be easier to give a clean finish (especially on edges) and sometimes plywood will tend to separate. If you weren't painting it black then I would suggest solid wood (Furniture grade pine or oak). The only other concerne is the glass shelves. Regular double strength may not be enough. Check with a glass supply shop and check, but you will probably need tempered glass which is more $$$.

BIll

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Hey Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I've had a few ??? about the glass. It looks like I will go with the tempered. As for the top I'm not 100% sure what to do. I want to have a little wood grain to it to match my speakers but......The MDF would be the best way to go. I think I'm starting to lean to the MDF. :)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I dispersed the pieces evenly across the universe, only to have some parts re-appear in other projects :)
I never could get it right. It was one of my 1st projects but turned out too wobbly for me and wires were all over the place. I also wanted something more enclosed.
I'm going to the glass shop today to see how much more the good stuff is..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woovs