My DirecTV receiver fried my access card!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Speicher, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Here's a timeline for this bizarre thing.

9/18 11pm - Power goes out because of hurricane
    9/19 12am - Power comes back, TV/SAT works
    9/21 around 5am - Second satellite receiver goes out, receive blinking "Call extension 745" box at bottom of screen
    9/21 12pm - Call DirecTV, they go through the diagnostic script and determine it's the access card, FedEx me a new one overnight. I look at the card and notice that it's brown. I look at the working access card from the other receiver, and it's all white.

This is what the broken card looks like:

[​IMG]

My receiver fried the access card! Now, my receiver is on a lot, because TiVo records things and then doesn't turn the receiver off when it's done. So it's often on for long periods of time, and I do notice that the receiver itself is hot to the touch. But this shouldn't be happening, right? Is this a freak occurance? We've had to receiver for probably 3 years, with this same access card. I have the new card in there now and it's working, but I'm worried that this could happen again.

The receiver is the Sony SAT-A55.

2. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Rob,
    I live over in Burke and had my Zenith 520 go out of commission around 11 pm. I figured there was a strong power surge (my power blinked but never went off during the storm). Looks like a power surge may have fried your card. My receiver started working once I disconnected it and plugged it into another outlet. After resetting the circuit on my Monster surge protector the receiver worked as usual.

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

That's what I figured at first, but the fact that the receiver worked after the power outage made me wonder. My receiver is plugged into a Monster surge protector, but maybe something got through after the storm.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this new card.

4. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I know a guy (no, not me, I don't even have a satelite system), who uses bootleg cards to get all the satelite channels for free. His card is fried on a regular basis by the satelite company. Somehow, they send out a signal that recognizes bootleg cards and fries them like yours. Is it possible that yours got mistaken for a bootleg card when the signal was sent out by the comapny?
    Just a thought.
    Steve

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

They don't physically "fry" the card like in Rob's case, just the "information" that is on the card.

6. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

lol, wouldn't that be something... the sat companies sending down lightening bolts and burning up all the tampered cards [​IMG]
    'frying' the card is just a figure of speech... except to Rob