What's new

My dilemma: Panasonic ZT vs. Samsung F8500 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No. That could be good news or not.

Have been talking with Oppo, whose player I don't think has any responsibility
in all of this. They have a video setting in their menu that forces 3D instead of
making it automatic. That is a setting that I recently changed.

I also bought new Amazon high-speed cables to replace the former cables that
were also rated for high-speed. Probably not necessary, but I am ruling out any
possibility that the cables are at fault.

Finally, I removed the Denon receiver from the video chain and used the secondary
Oppo HDMI output directly to the display.

I have only had time to watch one single 3D title since, PLANES, which I just posted
a review for.

What I have to do now is waste several more hours putting in one 3D disc after another
in hopes of replicating the problem again. That I will do today.

I am also due to talk directly with Panasonic tech next week about this problem.

Could I have solved the 3D problems with all the changes I made? Possibly. However,
the problems show up so randomly that I may never have full confidence in this display.
This is why instead of simply enjoying the ZT60, I have to sit and waste hours testing it.

That is how I plan to spend my day off today. I will report back with more later.

Thanks for asking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm curious to why you used the secondary HDMI from the Oppo to the display instead of the first HDMI? I have my first the first HDMI inputs from my Oppos hooked up directly to my Panny TVs and the secondary HDMI inputs for the audio hooked up to my Onkyo receivers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My bad. I did use the primary HDMI to the display and the secondary to audio.
The way I described it above was wrong.

By the way...

When I do get proper 3D registration, which is more often than not, the 3D is quite
spectacular on the ZT60 -- a notch above what I got on the LG plasma. This I was
very pleased to see.

The reason why I have always wanted a 3D Panasonic plasma -- outside of the fact
that nobody makes better plasmas -- is that this is the company that essentially pioneered
3D in the homes. Many HTF members saw Panasonic 3D demos a year before the
technology was introduced to the home. I think Panasonic perfected 3D early on with
the support of filmmakers like James Cameron. I am convinced that nobody does 3D
as well as Panasonic.

I have nearly 100 3D titles in my collection. I know what all of them looked like on my
former LG plasma. With all the time I have spent revisiting each and every one of those
titles on the Panasonic, I am getting a sense of how much better they now look. It's not
necessarily night-and-day, but I see better colors and perception of depth.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

Based on what you're telling me performance-wise and even though it sucks the big one because you're losing so much of your time over this issue, I would keep the ZT60 and if the issue keeps continues to occur, force Panasonic to either fix the display for this 3D issue or give you another one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

That is what I am leaning towards.

I am also quite appreciative of Value Electronics and them
allowing me to spend more time to attempt to alleviate the
problems before considering a return (if it comes to that).

Thanks for all your help and concern. Will keep you posted
as I move forward with this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ron, for future HDMI, buy Vanco Installer Series. They don't cost any more(retail) than BJC, MP or Amazon Basics. Those are all I've ever used/recommended. Out of all the times I hear of a flaky running install, first question I always ask is if the HDMI are Vanco.I'm not saying the other three are bad. Just I have always had better success with Vanco in situations where they are plugged in and unplugged a bunch(for those out there with front HDMI AVR).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan,

Thank you for that advice. I usually buy Blue Jeans brand or Amazon.

Where do you buy Vanco Installer series from? Just did a search for them
and they aren't readily available through Amazon (at least not the short cheaper lengths).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Call your local Directv installer. If they also sell CE, they can get Vanco. That distributor they get CE from...is my former employer. There are only two sources of Directv for own-op Directv installers.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here is an HTF member who also has had issues seeing pop out on their displays.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/3d-popout-missing/

Not sure if it changed for them as that's two years ago but i have Resident Evil: Afterlife and i know it has some good pop out moments, i also can't agree with some of the comments in the above thread regarding pop out, i wonder what is going on with some displays because i have also read comments from a few years ago on Panasonic plasma and some people not seeing pop out, i do not think this is a cable issue or player issue.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Foxy,

I tested the best pop-out discs out there...

Imax: Under The Sea
A Turtles's TaleA Turtle's Tale 2

The pop-out is very evident on my new Panasonic plasma.

I think the problem is that outside of a very small handful of titles, pop-out is just not being done.

3D has turned into displaying depth. Noting more as far as most filmmakers are concerned.
You really have to dig around to find those few gems that aren't afraid of gimmickry.
Something tells me that the author of that post has not seen any of the titles I listed above.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They say they have seen pop out in the theaters but never on their displays, that got me thinking of you because they also say they see zero popout with Resident Evil: Afterlife, i know that movie has some good pop out moments, so i think something has to be wrong with their display and maybe its relevant to your earlier problem, maybe with your TV it's now fixed by forcing 3D on with your Oppo and it's cured the issue.

Maybe we need a list of titles which we know have zero popout, absolutely zero and are just depth, that way i and others who want great 3D can avoid these titles.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Foxy,

I watched bits and pieces of Resident Evil: Afterlife the other day on my Panasonic.

I don't know if I would call it pop-out, but on that title, I notice props nudging out of
the screen. It's nothing near the effect you see on the Turtles Tale movies or Under
The Seas. Those pop-outs are clearly in the empty area that divides viewer and screen.

Many to most 3D movies have some kind of minor pop-out. You get a hand, foot,
sword or knife breaking the screen's barrier. It's slight, but effective to a point, I suppose.

Some 3D movies use the letterbox bars to its advantage in spilling content over
the sides.

To make a list of zero pop-out? I guess it could be done. I would have to go back over
every title I have reviewed -- and there are still a few I haven't.

I just, again, think that the public's expectations for pop-out are high, but Hollywood is
seeing to it that it is kept as minimal as possible. I have become rather bored with 3D
because there isn't anything to it anymore. The only reason I am suddenly revitalized
is because of my new display. I ordered an IMAX title today. Also went on eBay and
ordered a few manufacturer demo discs. Those are really good. I have a few already.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
How is it dealing with battery 3D glasses? My LG is rechargeable and I like that option. The new Panny are the same. However, the Samsung glasses are battery and for some reason that worries me. How often do these batteries need replacing?
On my Samsung, the batteries just go on and on. They take a standard flat battery that you should be able to find in any store with a decent selection. I found some online and haven't needed one yet. No wait, I needed one for my Nikon camera remote. The glasses are light and comfortable. If I have a complaint it's that the eyeglass arms don't fold for easier storage. It's easy to replace the battery. BTW, last time I looked, the glasses went for $20 on Amazon. Most other glasses cost more, again, last time I looked. 4 pair came with my TV. I've seen as many as 8 inclided when buying a Samsung player and TV together.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Foxy,

I watched bits and pieces of Resident Evil: Afterlife the other day on my Panasonic.

I don't know if I would call it pop-out, but on that title, I notice props nudging out of
the screen. It's nothing near the effect you see on the Turtles Tale movies or Under
The Seas. Those pop-outs are clearly in the empty area that divides viewer and screen.

Many to most 3D movies have some kind of minor pop-out. You get a hand, foot,
sword or knife breaking the screen's barrier. It's slight, but effective to a point, I suppose.

Some 3D movies use the letterbox bars to its advantage in spilling content over
the sides.

To make a list of zero pop-out? I guess it could be done. I would have to go back over
every title I have reviewed -- and there are still a few I haven't.

I just, again, think that the public's expectations for pop-out are high, but Hollywood is
seeing to it that it is kept as minimal as possible. I have become rather bored with 3D
because there isn't anything to it anymore. The only reason I am suddenly revitalized
is because of my new display. I ordered an IMAX title today. Also went on eBay and
ordered a few manufacturer demo discs. Those are really good. I have a few already.
I'll have to watch it again but i seem to recall some good pop out moments, of course once you have seen A Turtles Tale then everything else is not as good by comparison, i'll probably watch Resident Evil: Afterlife again and the sequel to it back to back next month.

Journey To The Center Of The Earth has some very prominent pop out, the sequel had some too but nowhere near as good, i'm disappointed The Final Destination isn't available ( only anaglypth ) as it has some good moments too such as the snake coming right out into your face.

I'll say it again, Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate, same camera system they used for Prometheus but Hark Tsui really went to town, amazing deep 3D depth and lots of quality pop out moments.

I know My Bloody Valentine got bad reviews for the anaglypth 3D but it also had some effective pop out moments and i thought the depth in those underground mine scenes was terrific, i have the proper 3D version but i have yet to watch it again, the ending of the film disappointed me.

I also recommend Megamind, better than i expected and some decent pop out moments mixed in with the depth.

I think the thing about a lot of the pop out in these films is it goes fast on some of them, i mean Avatar has pop out but it's sometimes subtle and sometimes it's over fast, same with many movies but with A Turtles Tale you literally have two turtles talking to each other while they sit on a log out at sea and they are actually right out of the screen and in your face while they talk, you feel you could reach out and touch them, it's a lengthy scene too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I forgot about Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate...really worth getting?

It's only $20 but I hate blowing even that little on something I won't like.

Johnny,

Have seen how cheap the Samsung glasses are. They are indeed
under $20. I would spend twice that to get the Samsung rechargeables instead
if I am forced to exchange my Panasonic display for the Samsung.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Ron

perhaps you might find better 3d on certain titles that you you didnt think were great 3d to begin with.. like say jurassic park and tron legacy.

if you want pop out. I hate to say it. but gravity has more pop out then most films.

Jacob

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
FoxyMulder said:
Flying Swords Of Dragon's Gate. ? I predict it will go into your top five if so.
Not available on amazon. Just as well, I'm not into the Kung fu movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks