What's new

My dilemma: Panasonic ZT vs. Samsung F8500 (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe you just have a finicky set. Maybe it sat in the ocean crate in Los Angeles too long. Maybe the liner got stuck somewhere and it sat through 9 weeks of salt air instead of 4 weeks.

Maybe(have no clue how close you are) your store will let you swap their floor sample. Then if it works flawless....

It would be a shame to damage out one of these for flaky 3D.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FoxyMulder said:
That's not an anaglypth/3D issue, what you get with 3D anaglypth releases are exactly the same as what you will see with 3D blu ray, except anaglypth has major issues, the problem is that most films play it safe these days, some rare films actually use 3D to it's fullest.
Yes, precisely. We are saying the same thing, I must have said it badly. People are coming to modern 3d expecting there to be a lot of aggressive use of the in yo face effect. The only movie that I can think of that does this is Despicable Me 1 and 2. The old anaglyph movies used this as their stock in trade. Modern films have traded out of that for depth into the screen which has had more widespread acceptance I think, vice just making the kids cheer. I like both.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
Yes, precisely. We are saying the same thing, I must have said it badly. People are coming to modern 3d expecting there to be a lot of aggressive use of the in yo face effect. The only movie that I can think of that does this is Despicable Me 1 and 2. The old anaglyph movies used this as their stock in trade. Modern films have traded out of that for depth into the screen which has had more widespread acceptance I think, vice just making the kids cheer. I like both.
I think the confusion comes from the use of the word anaglypth, those old movies were actually proper 3D just as today's ones are.

After viewing Journey To The Center Of The Earth in it's anaglypth blu ray presentation and being wowed by it ( despite the issues ) i had high hopes that Hollywood would give us more of the same type of 3D, that is great depth with great pop out moments, unfortunately they seem to be going for a little depth ( less than the fifties movies gave us ) and very little pop out, to me this is a mistake, i truly believe people want great depth and great pop out and 3D is being under utilized with far too many conversions, we need more native shot 3D that uses the technology aggressively.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
i truly believe people want great depth and great pop out and 3D is being under utilized with far too many conversions, we need more native shot 3D that uses the technology aggressively.
Well said.

Remember Captain EO or The Muppets at Disneyland? Know part of the reason why
they were such huge, enjoyable attractions? It was the aggressive use of 3D.

Even back in the 50s, audiences loved the gimmickry and it ran rampant.

Why are people paying so much more for movie tickets to see lifeless 3D? Maybe
lifeless is a bad term, but really, is just adding depth a reason to continue hyping 3D?It's no longer fun. Audiences aren't being given any WOW factor when watching a film.
I don't suggest over-using the gimmickry, but don't eliminate it altogether.

....and I can tell you that if one company has its way and their next generation
glasses-free displays go anywhere, pop-out will be eliminated forever.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
....and I can tell you that if one company has its way and their next generation
glasses-free displays go anywhere, pop-out will be eliminated forever.
I know Toshiba have tried it and Hitachi also, i assume one of them, i would just give up on 3D if it was just depth.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't want to name the company. I have a lot of respect for them and their Executives.

I have mentioned their name elsewhere.

When they introduced glasses-free TV over a year ago, I asked about the ability to have
pop-out without glasses.

I was told, "Pop-out is not essential. It's all about depth. That is what directors want."

I think the reason I was being told that is because I don't think it's possible for pop-out
on glasses-free displays. That is something, I believe, is manipulated through the use of
eyewear.

Now I could be wrong, but I saw no pop-out whatsoever in the glasses-free demo that
I had the opportunity to see. I don't know how you could possibly have it with the naked
eye. It would almost be like projecting a hologram.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
I don't want to name the company. I have a lot of respect for them and their Executives.

When they introduced glasses-free TV over a year ago, I asked about the ability to have
pop-out without glasses.

I was told, "Pop-out is not essential. It's all about depth. That is what directors want."

I think the reason I was being told that is because I don't think it's possible for pop-out
on glasses-free displays. That is something, I believe, is manipulated through the use of
eyewear.

Now I could be wrong, but I saw no pop-out whatsoever in the glasses-free demo that
I had the opportunity to see. I don't know how you could possibly have it with the naked
What is going on is...

If glasses-free gets a strong hold...then the same shooting angles/tech can be used regardless of screen size(read...tablets and phones...)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:

pop-out without glasses.

eyewear.

It would probably sell well, i think glasses put off a lot of people from using their current 3D capable sets, these sets wouldn't be for me though.

Anyone have a Nintendo 3DS, is that purely depth and no pop out. ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It would probably sell well, i think glasses put off a lot of people from using their current 3D capable sets, these sets wouldn't be for me though.
There is always product available for people who don't know better.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I think we're getting away from the issue of Ron's set. He's testing it with 3D material he already knows well, not feeling around in unexplored territory. In so doing, he's getting very inconsistent 3D performance from one minute to the next on the same disc, and from one session to another with the same disc. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

So...the question is whether it's that single unit that might be defective, or a whole batch of ZT60s. Is this correct?

I'm just chiming in because of my love for the Panasonics and because this, to my knowledge, is a recent anomaly. No one here who has any of their older models has said they've ever seen anything like this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Charles,

And on the other forum I have also been posting on, at least two others have had
the same problem, though not as frequently as I have.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
But with ZT60s, not previous model years, or other models in the same year? I wonder, how about with VT60s?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, not with older models, Charles. It was either the ZT60 or the VT60.

Just so none of you think I am crazy, here are replies I received on another site
when I posted the problem...

Hi Ronald, I too experienced the same exact problem. I have the 65vt60 and watched the same chapter of avatar many times over and sometimes the 3D looks 2D and other times it pops. I can't figure it out. Please let us know if you know any tricks to making the 3D pop every time. Thanks.
There was also an additional reply from an additional person saying they initially had the same
problem but it went away quickly. Can't find that original post.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ron, do you have another HT enthusiast who can come watch those same clips as you and see if they are seeing the same thing? That would at least clear up if its the glasses losing sync or something like that...

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Or even better, somebody even more technically oriented such as someone who calibrates?

EDIT: Since that someone might have a clue as to whether the problem is fixable, or is a lost cause?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

The problem is not happening with the same clips over and over.

It's a random problem and it involves having to sit for up to an hour, sometimes, just putting discs
in the player until the situation happens again.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Sam,

The problem is not happening with the same clips over and over.

It's a random problem and it involves having to sit for up to an hour, sometimes, just putting discs
in the player until the situation happens again.
I take it that either the Oppo or the Panasonic is switching itself from 3D mode to 2D randomly, it would be good if you could rule out the Oppo by using another blu ray player, assuming you haven't already.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Foxy,

I don't have another 3D Blu-ray player other than the Oppo.

It's not just switching. The intensity of the 3D is not consistent.

I am now in touch with Panasonic over this, but still considering replacing the ZT with a Samsung.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FoxyMulder said:
I take it that either the Oppo or the Panasonic is switching itself from 3D mode to 2D randomly, it would be good if you could rule out the Oppo by using another blu ray player, assuming you haven't already.
Or the glasses are. That's why I suggested another person.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think I ruled that out. I have two glasses that I switch between when
the picture goes flat. Both glasses, confirmed synced, show the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks