What's new

My dilemma: Panasonic ZT vs. Samsung F8500 (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
Yeah without a region free tho I'm out for now. Shoot, was that Flying sword also Region B?
I just checked Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate out on my USA Playstation 3 and it plays fine, so if you want it i would order it, i had forgotten just how spectacular the 3D was, it really is great.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Congratulations on your new TV, Ron! What a rollercoaster ride. I hope everything is straightened out now and the TV looks as good as it should.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronbo,

What's the latest on the ZT?

Do you have to push the 3D button on your remote everytime you watch a 3D BD?

Do you have to push that 3D button more than once while watching the same 3D BD?

If the answer is "yes" to the first question and "no" to the second question then I would keep the display if the video performance is exceptional besides those 3D button issues.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Had A Turtle's Tale 2 rushed to my home via Amazon.

Was so excited about it, I watched it first thing this morning.

Major disappointment compared to the original.

The 3D is excellent in both depth and the sizing of different fish.

As far as pop-out is concerned, it is nowhere on par with the original.

In fact, objects just barely protrude forward.

Just to be certain, I popped in the original A Turtle's Tale and enjoyed pop-out
like never-before-seen.

Sorry, guys, I don't know what some of you are seeing with this sequel, but even
looking at the blur level, it is far more intensified in the original import than it is in the
domestic sequel release.

...and it's not my display. I did compare both titles. It's night and day difference.

Again, the sequel has great depth. Probably one of the better 3D titles out there.
However, as far as in-your-face pop-out is concerned, it just isn't there to the
intensity of the original.

Working on a review to be posted later in the Blu-ray forum.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ronbo,
What's the latest on the ZT?
Do you have to push the 3D button on your remote everytime you watch a 3D BD?
Do you have to push that 3D button more than once while watching the same 3D BD?
If the answer is "yes" to the first question and "no" to the second question then I would keep the display if the video performance is exceptional besides those 3D button issues.

Yes, on occasion I have to play with the 3D buttons to get it to work properly.

For the past 3 days I have done nothing but play with 3D content. I think I only watched a few minutes
of a single Blu-ray (Dark Knight Returns).

So much time attempting to figure out this 3D situation. No time to really evaluate normal picture or 3D playback.

Haven't made up my mind. Still waiting to hear from store concerning costs in making an exchange for the f8500.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

My apologies....

Let me tell you something...

I just spent the past hour writing a review of A Turtle's Tale 2 talking about how the pop-out
that all of you were seeing wasn't there, while praising the amount of depth that was.

Just for the heck of it, I put the disc back in the player and watched it again. Totally different
experience. The pop-out was there this time. I had to take the review down.

This is the problem with my ZT60. The 3D is not consistent -- even when you think it's
playing 3D content properly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Guys,

My apologies....

Let me tell you something...

I just spent the past hour writing a review of A Turtle's Tale 2 talking about how the pop-out
that all of you were seeing wasn't there, while praising the amount of depth that was.

Just for the heck of it, I put the disc back in the player and watched it again. Totally different
experience. The pop-out was there this time. I had to take the review down.

This is the problem with my ZT60. The 3D is not consistent -- even when you think it's
playing 3D content properly.
For peace of mind, I would send this TV back as a defective unit and get the Samsung since in your heart that's the one that impressed you the most.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That sounds like a weird glitch, well if you did send it back and get the Samsung i think you will find the black levels nearly on a par with the Panasonic and if the 3D is anything like my E6500 you will enjoy it immensely, the only thing you might want to do is buy some Panasonic 3D glasses, the Samsung ones aren't very comfortable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
the only thing you might want to do is buy some Panasonic 3D glasses, the Samsung ones aren't very comfortable.
It's funny. Panasonic sells their glasses for about $60 apiece.

The Samsung active glasses are less than $20 each.

It *seems* both are compatible with each other's display. Panasonic owners are buying the Samsung glasses to save
money.

I like the Panasonic glasses better. They are better built, and the arms fold inward for better storage.

Those Samsung glasses look rather flimsy. However, they get rather good reviews.
Are they really that uncomfortable?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
It's funny. Panasonic sells their glasses for about $60 apiece.

The Samsung active glasses are less than $20 each.

It *seems* both are compatible with each other's display. Panasonic owners are buying the Samsung glasses to save
money.

I like the Panasonic glasses better. They are better built, and the arms fold inward for better storage.

Those Samsung glasses look rather flimsy. However, they get rather good reviews.
Are they really that uncomfortable?
I wear glasses so they are uncomfortable for me to wear over them, if you don't wear glasses they might be okay, i have tested both Panasonic and Samsung and the 3D quality is the same, the only problem for me is the comfort level and i think the Samsung can let some light in at the sides, like you i also think the Panasonic are better built and i like to fold the arms, the Samsung i have use snap on arms and batteries.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd be careful with compatible glasses, i have read some can have worse ghosting than others, still if you have the seven day cooling off period over there then you can try and send back if they aren't as good, mind you i think these Panasonic ones would be good and cost isn't much more.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-ER3D4MU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B007EHI1DK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384438931&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+3d+glasses

Here is a review from CNET of a few different pairs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57441520-221/sorta-universal-active-3d-tv-glasses-compared/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ron, might I make one humble, serious, suggestion based on personal experience? Have you had your eyes checked lately? I too had great vision for a long time but about 2 years ago I went for a drivers license re-qual and failed the vision part badly. Wound up getting glasses for driving and then I started wearing them 100% of the time while watching anything on screen too. Made a huge difference in my enjoyment of 3d, which was surprising.Sounds like this might not be your issue as you say you can see what you want to see in the original turtles, but I have to say that very few 3D Blu movies seem to come out at me the way anaglyph films tend to. It seems that this is the way that they have found people really enjoy it, subtle depth, not in yo face.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
but I have to say that very few 3D Blu movies seem to come out at me the way anaglyph films tend to. It seems that this is the way that they have found people really enjoy it, subtle depth, not in yo face.
That's not an anaglypth/3D issue, what you get with 3D anaglypth releases are exactly the same as what you will see with 3D blu ray, except anaglypth has major issues, the problem is that most films play it safe these days, some rare films actually use 3D to it's fullest.

My point being that if you have great pop out on an anaglypth 3D release then you will also get great pop out on a 3D blu ray release, they are identical in that they are both sourced from a proper 3D master and anaglypth is just one way of showing the format in the home.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, might I make one humble, serious, suggestion based on personal experience? Have you had your eyes checked lately?
Sam,

I think you ask a very legitimate question.

My eyesight is generally fine. A little less sharp than it was two years ago, I will admit. For the first
time in my life I am beginning to realize that I will eventually need glasses. However, I only seem to
have problems when reading very small print.

In general, when looking at the display in 2D -- now that I have the 480p issue corrected -- the picture
looks nice and sharp.

For 3D, I don't think diminished eyesight is the problem. It's just the varying degrees of 3D that I get
with the same disc, played then stopped, then played again. The problem doesn't happen every time,
but enough that I notice the inconsistency issues.

I am doing everything I can to resolve the problem. Have reached out to Oppo about this, hoping to hear
back from them.Furthermore, it was suggested I not only replace the HDMI cable I am using, but to take the Denon receiver
out of the equation, hooking the HDMI cable directly from the Oppo to the display. That takes one additional
handshake problem out of the mix.

I now have to spend several hours today trying to see if that solution helps. I am doing everything I can not
to have to exchange this display. When I decide to go with the Samsung it not be because I want to, but I
have to.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll add in what the other Sam said.I discovered a few years ago(ironically as a by-product of 3D watching) that my eyes suffer from "ocular stretch"(of course there is a fancy name for it).My eyes are stretching length wise. When I'm 90 the stretch, at present progression, will tear the rear of my eyes apart.In the short term, I need new glasses every 2 years to keep focality. The issue also means I can never do Lasik. On a lesser note. Have you checked the TV'S. firmware?

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Ronald Epstein said:
Still putting this display through its paces.
Have further bad news...
The 3D is horrendous on this display. It's non-existent and I am hoping I have it on the wrong setting.
Just put in the reference 3D disc, "Imax Under The Sea"
Chapter 3, there is a cod fish that is supposed to come inches from your nose.
There is absolutely no pop-out and no sense of depth with the 3D on this ZT60.
I have the picture setting on THX Cinema 3D.
On the plus side, though broadcast television looks lackluster, Blu-rays look significantly better.
Could not believe the level of black in this display. Just the Oppo menu alone displayed a level of black I have never seen elsewhere.
However, I can't get this display to give me an optimal level of 3D (and I have the LG 3D plasma to compare it to), I am going to have to return it.
It's amazing how bad the 3D is right now on this ZT. Anybody that has not had the opportunity to compare it to another display may miss it -- but trust me -- I have seen much better.
Hopefully someone can assist with why I am not seeing significant depth and pop-out.
I've had my 55"st Plasma since Jan.2013 & I love it !. Showed the 3D to another renter in my building, and he went WOW! I've have no trouble with it after making some setting changes. The blacks are amazing!!!!. PANASONIC PLASMA RULZE !!!!. Good Luck.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Everett. Happy to hear you are doing well with your Panny.
Update on the 3D Problem

Removed the Denon receiver from the chain. Hooked the main HDMI output from the Oppo BDP-93 to the ZT60. Secondary HDMI to Denon receiver. Used new HDMI cable.
This change caused an unusual "echo" effect from the receiver during 5.1 movie playback. That's the least of my concerns, however.
I thought this fixed the problem. It took me a few tries, but I finally put in a 3D disc that played flat.
The same problem happened again where the display went into 3D mode, but the level of the 3D was subdued. There was no pop-out and only a hint of depth.
Switching the remote 2D/3D button did not fix the problem.
Changing eyewear and re-syncing did not fix the problem.
I am still waiting to hear from the folks at Oppo, but really, that player has performed flawlessly for me prior to the ZT60.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks