My Dilemma! Def Tech BP6 & SVS or BP2000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LesterLiu, Jul 28, 2001.

1. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

What do you guys think would be the best choice. I'm in the market for new speakers and a sub. I've got Definitive BP6's in the front now and need to finish up the HT system. Should i go with two more BP6's and an SVS 31 with powered amp or should i just the BP2000 with the integrated 12's? I've heard nothing but good things about the SVS sub. I assume with my BP6-svs combo would produce more thump and bass response then the bp2000's, the problem is i've never heard an svs sub before and can't really compare it to anything. i've heard the bp2000's plenty of times and i know they sound good, i also know i could use a little more bass at times, then they can put out.
    anyone have any thoughts? i figure i can't go wrong either way, i know both will be a good setup and the only thing that lingers in my mind is the end-performance of the subwoofer in the potential setups. the bp6-svs setup is somewhat cheaper so that in itself is an advantage right there and potentially, i'd get cleaner lows from the svs sub... what do you guys think?

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Lester:
    I have the BP2000 and eventually have to add a Velodyne to augment the lowest lows. Exactly what driver config does the BP6 has & will you be able to use it as main with 'large' speaker setting? My take is to get the higher bipolars (BP10 or even 30) without built in SW plus an SVS, use the new DT as fronts & move your BP6 to the rear.
    PF

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Definitely get another BP6(or even a lower priced model) and go for the SVS. A couple of advantages for the SVS:
    1. You can place them where you will get the smoothest bass response(can't do that with powered towers)
    2. The SVS will put out more and deeper bass.
    Advantages of the BP2000:
    One less box in your living room.

4. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Well, actually having 2 subs with the BP2000s will give you smoother bass response. A lot of times with a single sub, you get uneven response and room modes. Having 2 subs smooths that response out and cancels the room modes.
    However, the SVS will give you deeper bass and more impact than the BP2000s at the lowest frequencies. I have BP3000s up front, a CLR3000 center, and BP2000s in the rear. Even with all that, I still use a Velodyne HGS-18. I run the 3000s to about 30Hz and the center down to 40Hz. The 2000s run down to 30Hz as well. The Velodyne handles the LFE and all bass below 30Hz. I'm still experimenting, but so far this has given me the best sound so far. Deep and full.
    See if you can audition both setups. Although auditioning the BP6 setup with an SVS will be impossible. But you can substitute it with a big sub.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Will you be listening to music much? If so, you might want to seriously consider something like the 2000TL.
    For strict HT you should be in great shape with (4) bp6's and SVS...as the other's have mentioned, SVS will give you more of that bone-crunching bass down low.
    Generally I recommend getting the "best" mains that you can afford...if you buy the 2000TL's now maybe later on you can add some SVS's to them and then in the long run you will be happier [​IMG] Good luck!

6. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

Here are the specs on the BP6 in case you aren't familiar with them.
    Per http://www.definitivetechnology.com I'm more into the hip hop / pop / trance genre's where "quantity of bass is more important then the quality". [​IMG] lol I am pretty ecletic and appreciate all sorts of music and do listen to some jazz/new age once in awhile so i want as musical a setup as i can get. Are you saying the svs isn't as "musical" as the bp2000? I've always wondered about the musicality of the svs, i know it can put out the spl, but is it smooth? good transient response? nice and tight? I've been into car stereo for a long time and i can appreciate some "quality" lows, reproduced as they should be heard instead of cranking the gain up and getting it all muddy.
    Thanks for the quick responses, i guess my thinking is in line with most of you that have responded. I was thinking i would get more bang for the buck from the bp6-svs combo. I mean, for practically the same amount of money, i can get my bp6, svs PLUS my deftech center channel AND a dvd player!
    Now if i could figure out if and how i can set the bp6's to large, i think that will seal the deal.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Lester:
    The "large" setting is a function of your amp and has nothing to do with the speakers themselves. I am not familiar with your receiver but if you have DD 5.1/DTS you should also have the ability to set the each speaker in your layout to large or small. If you can't do this with your receiver then it really doesn't matter that much. By setting your speakers to small you will be able to send the majority of your low bass to the sub instead of your other speakers.
    Also, when you get the sub use the LFE channel on your receiver, there again if you have one, to send the "low frequency effects" to the sub thereby maximizing the bass out of your source material, ie: DVD, CD, etc.
    I think you will be really happy with the BP 6s all the way around with the new center and the SVS powered sub. If you could get the BP 30s for the front that would be even better but if your budget restricts you then the 6s should do a very good job.
    Parker

8. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Hey Hubert!
    What size is your HT? Must be impressive when something blows up on the screen in there! I have the BP 2002 (older models before the tl designation) and am still impressed by the bass..yours must be awesome!
    My vote is for the towers Lester, I find they are a great compromise when your room does double duty because they are also great on music...especially the bass..very musical when it needs to be and kicks ass when things get going on screen as well. Have compared it to other sub/sat systems...not the one you are considering... and I prefer the towers, plus the extra added attraction of 1 less box is nice.

9. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Well, it's a dedicated room that's about 24X17X9. So it's pretty big. As for the towers and the Velodyne, I like the full sound the towers and the Velodyne give me. I just added the Velodyne. It makes the biggest difference down deep.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If you're looking for the best bass performance(the lowest,cleanest,flattest bass)...using a seperate dedicated subwoofer is the way to go. This assumes the seperate woof is of high quality,and has it's placement/calibration optimized of course.
    TV

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

quote: Well, actually having 2 subs with the BP2000s will give you smoother bass response. A lot of times with a single sub, you get uneven response and room modes. Having 2 subs smooths that response out and cancels the room modes.[/quote]
    Not so fast!
    We are not talking about two stand alone subs here but two built in ones to a stereo towers.We don't know anything about the room or it's acoustic anomolies.But we do know that those towers has to be positioned for optimal stereo effects first and we do know that it's not always best for the best bass response.
    Powered towers usually sound good till you hear a real sub.
    I would get the SVS if I was for you,but I wouldn't set the BP6's as large,in the receiver setup.
    My BP 10's were rolling off sharply below 40hz,so I would think that the BP6 with it's smaller driver compliment would do it even faster.
    Also I would recommend the SVS 20-39 model as your sub,but Tom will recommend the best one for you after talking with you,I'm sure!
    Good Luck!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"
    [Edited last by Lewis Besze on July 29, 2001 at 01:34 PM]

12. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Lester:
    Sorry for not being too clear on my question. What I meant to ask was whether your BP6 can reasonably handle full range signal with 'large' speaker setting. Based on the info it has one each of the 1" dome tweeter & 5-1/2" cone midrange front & back firing in phase and I honestly doubt if it will give anything lower than may be 38 Hz. To me that's barely enough to consider full range. One other place you can check is TV's SW list to see which Def Tech bipolar gives you reasonable bass (? closer to 30Hz). But then if as you say it's the quantity of bass that matters to you most I would say go for the SVS and use it on both HT & music while go easy on the rears.
    Well, I guess Lewis beat me to it.
    PF
    [Edited last by PomingF on July 29, 2001 at 01:41 PM]

13. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

quote: Are you saying the svs isn't as "musical" as the bp2000? I've always wondered about the musicality of the svs, i know it can put out the spl, but is it smooth? good transient response? nice and tight? I've been into car stereo for a long time and i can appreciate some "quality" lows, reproduced as they should be heard instead of cranking the gain up and getting it all muddy.[/quote]
    I have never actually heard an SVS...but considering TN's performance data, the glowing user reviews, and the price you can see why it would be an easy recommendation for a home theater. I find the bass on my 2000TL's to be fairly musical...it is the seamless blending of the bass with the mids/highs which I find very nice. I would recommend setting the bp6's to "small", but the 2000TL's you can set to large (and send the LFE to an external sub if you have one) and some prefer the "large" setting. I still say buy the "best" speakers you can afford and complement them with some nice external sub(s), but getting the nonpowered speakers + external sub(s) is arguably a more cost-effective solution.
    [Edited last by Bob_A on July 30, 2001 at 04:05 AM]