What's new

My device only has one set of RCA outputs, but I need to plug it into two devices (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've used splitters on coax cables before, but never with RCA connections... I imagine it should work just fine but I figured I'd ask someone with more experience before spending money on cables.

I've got a DVD player that only has one set of stereo out RCA plugs (white=left, red=right), but I want to have it plugged into both my TV and my stereo simultaneously, so a simple A/B switch isn't what I'm looking for.

So is there something out there that will allow me to split both stereo channels so I can plug one set into the TV and the other into the receiver, and then not have to think about it again? Or would the signal loss be too great for it to work?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A simple "Y" adapter on each channel (1 on the red cable and 1 on the white cable) would work fine. If not, it is a cheap experiment. But why don't you use the analog audio output to the TV and a digital audio output to the A/V receiver so that you can enjoy full surround sound?

-Robert

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Thanks for the tip, Robert. I figured that would work fine but it's nice to get confirmation.

As for why I'm not using the digital audio output...let's just say that my receiver hasn't yet been welcomed to the 20th century, much less the 21st. I'd love to replace it and actually get a full surround system, but with the current economy, etc., I'm squeezing the last bit of life out of everything I have.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dorian Bryant has a receiver in the For Sale section for around $50 that supports DD and DTS.

-Robert

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
To prevent interference such as mysterious ghosts or (for audio) noise or low volume or irregular frequency response, use a switch box instead of Y-connectors. Here, connect the common jacks of the switch box to the output of your device and connect the A and B jack sets to the recipients, namely, the TV and stereo respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks