My Denon 3300 died, now what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkY, Jul 25, 2002.

1. MarkY

MarkY Auditioning

Greetings HT gurus:
    I used to browse this forum frequently, but have been away for a while. Nice to be back.
    Anyway.... my Denon 3300 to a dump on me. The sound kept going in and out, so I took it to my local Ultimate Electronics store and they said they would repair it. Today I get a call (they've had the thing for 2 months) and they tell me they need to replace the whole circuit board to the tune of $800. [​IMG]
    Are they out of their minds? The darn thing is only 2 years old and my 2500 that is 5 years old is still running great. Anyway, I've been searching on this board and it seems to me the 3802 is the machine to get. Maybe even the 2802.
    When I talked with someone at Ultimate Electronics headquarters (it's a long story about taking 2 months to figure this out), I told them that their store ought to be able to make me a smoke'n deal on a new Denon. The guy said he will call me back tomorrow or Monday and let me know what kind of deal he can swing. I called the store just for grins and they are currently getting $839 for the 3802 and $631 for the 2802. I plan on telling them that I can get the 3802 for $700 from 6aveElectronics.
    My concern is what happened with the 3300. This pisses me off and I'm tempted to go with a Marantz 7200 or 6200. If anyone has any comments or advice, please send them my way.
    A little about my setup:
    Mits 55" HDTV
    Direct TiVo Satelite receiver (S-video)
    Laser Disk player
    Denon DVD player (component video)
    CD player
    Klipsch speakers (mains, center, sub)
    Surrounds (drawing a blank at the moment)
    Speakers in bedroom and patio (powered by the 2500 at the moment)
    Pronto remote

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Are they the local Denon repair depot in your town?
    If not, or you aren't sure, see if Denon is located
    locally. Also, ask WHY it is necessary to replace
    an entire circuit board. It's probably just a driver
    transistor and some minor support components. They are
    either incompetent, or are just being lazy and got
    the price for the whole board from Denon, tripled it
    and added a gross labour charge.
    If they are the Denon repair rep, complain directly
    to Denon USA and say you are being abused by them.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I don't know where you are, but my local Sound Advice does flat rate repair pricing. For receivers, it's $140, regardless of problem (unless they deem it unfixable, whatever that means). They're a subsidiary of Tweeter, IIRC. Maybe get a second opinion.
    Your receiver should've had a two-year warranty. If you are at, say, two years and three weeks, maybe you could call Denon and ask nice if they'd fix it.
    Or, perhaps you could use the breakdown as leverage for buying a new unit at Ultimate. Tell them you'd like a 5-year warranty, free of charge, if you're going to pay their price, since they apparently sell shoddy goods.[​IMG]
    Also, Denon and Marantz are now owned by the same holding company.
    Todd
    P.S. I've owned Denon equipment since 1987, and every single piece I've purchased is still in use today, by either me, or one of my friends.

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

If you could indeed get it fixed for $140 then its worth it.
    You can then turnaround and sell it to cover some of the cost of upgrading to a new 3802[​IMG]
    Just my .02

5. MarkY

MarkY Auditioning

Just a quick update. I sent my receiver to Denon in California and eight days later it was returned to me repaired. Denon did this FREE of charge even though the receiver was out of warranty. Kudos to Denon.

6. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit