My Def Tech's + SONY Playstation 2, sounds great!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Today I hooked up a Sony Playstation 2 to my main speaker system. WOW! It sounds great!!! [​IMG]
    Games, of course, sound nice. But what really surprised me was the quality of DVD movies and CD Audio. Very clear picture (I hooked up the PS2 to the tv, and moved the optical cable from my JVC dvd player to the PS2). Also, the sound was incredibly clear and crisp. It actually sounds a bit better than my old SONY 5-disc cd changer (the JVC dvd player does not sound very good with CD's), and I also think that it sounds better than the JVC dvd player with movies! I have heard that the PS2 tested very well as a dvd and cd player.
    Has anyone else tried hooking up a PS2 to their main system?

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Just for fun, I put in U-571 and gave it a spin. From all the negative things I heard about its DVD performance, I was suprised. It looked as good as some of my older interlaced DVD players, but not as nice as the RP-91(naturally).

I use a component output, and it looks great for games--sounds good, too. I also bought the remote, so I can have a player when we travel.

DJ

3. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Bob, It's great to hear you're happy with your PS2 system. You mentioned how much you liked the video quality, how did you hook it up? S-Video or component? You also reffered to definitive technology in your thread. Just out of curiosity, which models do you have? I'm a big fan of definitive product.

4. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Another side question for ya Bob, have you heard any Def Tech models using "highend" amps, preamps (Bryston,Krell, Theta ect..) or just receivers? Any noticable differences noted? I know the BP30 is an effecient speaker, but I am wondering if I could do better than 80w/ch (HK 5800) thanks! HAve fun

5. Richard Goode

Bob, I don't have a playstation 2 but I have an Xbox and the games are in Dolby Digital. The sound on some of these games is amazing. I'am using a component input to my Toshiba 65h80 hdtv. The speakers are Def Tech Bp2000tls, Clr3000, and Bpvx/p. Games to try are: Halo, Nascar Heat, and Rally Sport. Have fun-Richard

6. gomez_a

gomez_a Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

Are the newer PS2 games Dolby 5.1? Also, I have an ONKYO 898, and I'm not sure how I would hook this up to my HT to get the 5.1 effect - can you or someone else elaborate on how to hook this up to get the 5 channel sound?

Thanks,

Gomez

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Guys, I'll get back to you later tonight. Thanks.

8. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Marty, I have the bp2000TL/clr2000/bp2x system (with Monster cables all around) hooked up to a Yamaha DSP-A1. The whole system is great, and the bp2000TL's are simply awesome. Actually, I only tried 1 dvd disc (Gladiator) and I just hooked it up directly to the tv (simplest method possible) and even then it looked nice. Still, I guess most things look pretty nice on the Pioneer. I will probably be using the PS2 in the bedroom for now.
    Keir, I am pretty sure that separate amplification would improve the sound even more. You should try out something like Parasound, Macintosh, Krell, Bryston, etc. The DT's are pretty efficient, but they have impedance curves which can dip a bit low, and they also have so many drivers which need to be driven, so I usually recommend that users use the "best" amplification that they can afford. For now I am pretty content with the Yamaha though! Also, different cd players and different cables will also have a noticeable effect on the sound.
    Richard, thanks for the recommendations. Have you hooked up those bp2000TL's via "full range low level in"?
    gomez, I don't know too much about which PS2 games support dolby digital. Maybe you should start a new thread asking about that. To hook up the PS2 to your main system, you can hook it up just as you would any other dvd player. I sent an optical cable from my receiver to the PS2, and I hooked up the PS2 directly into the tv for the video.
    Brett, maybe you are right...pretty much everything sounds really good on the DT's [​IMG] Enjoy those AR's!