What's new

My Dayton 10" subwoofer arrived, and I have a problem. (1 Viewer)

ShaneR

Auditioning
I will be shipping the Dayton 10" subwoofer I ordered from Parts Express back to them on Monday for either repair or a new one.

When I plugged it in last week it wouldn't work, I checked the fuse and it was blown. I went out and bought a couple of fuses, put in a new one and the sub worked. Then I shut it off and moved it again, the fuse blew. Put another new one in, things were fine. A few days later I moved the sub again (just trying to find the right spot) and when I plugged it back in it wouldn't work. I don't know if this is happening when I move it or plug it in. Either way something is wrong and hopefully they can have it (or a new one) back to me by the end of next week.

The guys on the phone were really helpful but I hope this doesn't turn into a mess.

Anyone else have trouble with this subwoofer?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Can't speak for owners, but don't sweat the return.

They work fast on any return and will send a new one quickly (as long as it's in stock) & possibly pre tested prior to ship out. Many times they'll ship out a new one the day the defective one is received.

They will not repair the one you send in and make you wait for it to be returned to you..
Very rare for them to fix the Dayton TM-II sub, as it's built for them.

Have not heard of this/your problem with the TM-II sub. Very few have reported a defective sub, mostly user set up error.
They'll take care of you!
Geoff

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a bad amp, which can happen. I have this sub and I really like it. It's a steal for the money. You were just the unlucky one that got a bad one.

ShaneR

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. I'm boxing it up tonight to be shipped out tomorrow.

Hopefully they can have one back to me by the end of the week.

I'll post an update once this is resolved.

ShaneR

Auditioning
I called Parts Express to let them know that UPS should be dropping off the subwoofer today. This time the guy said that they are just going to send me a new sub and that it will go out today. What service! :emoji_thumbsup:

Parts Express has been great to work with, I would highly recommend them and will be doing business with them again.

:)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hum, seems I heard something to that extent prior up...:b

Glad to hear it's going down the usually positive way with a return to PE.! They are a great CO to deal with, no hassle returns 99.9% of the time...

You should be happy with the sub once dialed in as long (as) your room size and listening habbits don't exceed it's $$$-impressive capabilitys..

Many many very happy owners of the little guy!!

Regards
Geoff

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Good for you ShaneR. It's nice when a on-line company takes care of you so well.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Yep, sounds like a bad amp. However, I'm assuming you did turn the power off before moving the sub and re-plugging it?

ShaneR

Auditioning
Geoff,

I was able to use the sub so I did have it dialed in and it was great! Compared to the Onkyo 8" HTB sub I had before this one blew it away, this became more evident last night while watching my kids play a game that has some serious bass to it. The Onkyo doesn't even come close to the Dayton.

The problem would come about when I would physically move it. I was trying different locations and almost each time I moved it the fuse would blow.

:star: Great friendly service from PE, I didn't expect them to ship one to me today based on the conversation I had with them last week but the guy I talked to today said they would ship one out. If the shipping is as fast as last time, I should have the new one tomorrow. :)

To answer the above question, yes I did shut the power off and unplug it before moving it each time.

ShaneR

Auditioning
The new sub arrived today and seems to be good to go. I moved it a couple of times just to be sure. :)

Parts Express was great to deal with and the customer service is top notch. Kudos to them!

Cheers,
Shane

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Ta Dah

Hope the little guy makes you as happy as the many many other owners...

Great to here, fast replacement, PE to the rescue again...:emoji_thumbsup:

Happy subben Shane

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Geoff,

I was able to use the sub so I did have it dialed in and it was great! Compared to the Onkyo 8" HTB sub I had before this one blew it away, this became more evident last night while watching my kids play a game that has some serious bass to it. The Onkyo doesn't even come close to the Dayton.
__________________________________________________ ____

Maybe instead of the dubbed name Tiny Mighty. The name you have for the little 10"r you have (just one of many subs he has piled around the house) Geoff, might be more suitable?;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Oh Pa-lease

I don't own the TM-I or the TM-II. I heard the first/original TM-I when I purchased it for someone else. He still owns & runs it today, amazing little sub for the money..

Note:
Also not sure who dubbed the Dayton-10 the Tiny Mighty first, a forum search might find the right person.

Piles of subs and raw drivers, well thats true, tho 80% plus of my subs are DIY and what I run...

Regards
Geoff

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I don't own the TM-I or the TM-II.
__________________________________________________ ____

Never said you did and know that indeed you do not.

>>>Also not sure who dubbed the Dayton-10 the Tiny Mighty first, a forum search might find the right person.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Oops

I must have misunderstood the post Steve, not to sharp I am...:crazy: :b:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
On your worst day your as sharp as a whip Geoff. I'm not mistaken about this either.:)

West-Bully

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Shane

So hows the new 10 handling music/movies & games their now???

Is one TM-II gona be enough for spl when you wana crank it???

Also many report good extension well into the low 20's, (some even Below "but NOT the norm") with little to a small drop in spl. Rooms size and placement play a huge part and would explain why some have a better and or deeper FR along with more clean spl than others.

Have you found it's final resting place and run some sweeps or better yet sines or warbles with software, or a spl meter/add correction, and plotted the subs FR yet...????

I appoligize for the many questions, I know you just got it.
I do think others like to here what a TM-II is doing in another ones room for them. Makes for interesting comparisions when the same sub is in some else room.

Regards
Geoff

ShaneR

Auditioning
Hi Geoff,

Sorry for the late response, I was out of town last week.

The sub is working great, I haven't had much time with it but from what I have tried I'm very happy with it.

It seems to do the job when I turn it up loud but I don't go too crazy with the volume, at least not when the wife is home. ;)

I have found it's final resting place but have not done any of the other stuff you mentioned above. I did balance the sound with an SPL meter but I'm not sure how to do the rest. :)

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ShaneR
I too bought the dayton 10" last week and waited to watch the SW:trilogy on it :)
its a great sub, unfortunately, since this is my first sub i dont know how a well setup sub should sound like.
since you are obviously quite happy with it, could you share some of your settings for the sub / any other settings you made to the receiver (besides, sub=on and front speakers=small :)
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks