What's new

My Dad's looking to get a portable DVD...and I'm a clueless moron... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
So I said to him "Let me post at HTF and see what kind of responses I get". He's looking to spend in the ballpark of $300 bucks. Since I'm clueless when it comes to hardware (when did they start making portable DVD players?
biggrin.gif
), I was hoping to get a few suggestions.
Thanks a lot.
------------------
Scott
TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on July 17, 2001 at 12:48 AM]

J

John Morris

As a Philadelphia lover... I'm sorry to say. For that price you can choose a refurbished 5 inch screen or nothing at all. You can check out Ubid but you are still gonna spend $600 for a new unit......
Good Luck with your search!
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
$300 won't get you a portable DVD player, try $600+. You may get $500 on the net. Portable DVD was available in 1999 I think. Look at http://pricescan.com
------------------

Just curious, do any of the various portable models feature Dolby Headphone technology, or do any of the manufacturers plan to support this? From the couple demos I've heard, it's the best way to simulate a discrete soundtrack using a pair of standard headphones.
------------------
Nate Thompson

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Scott: The Costco price is about as low as it's going to get.
I recently bought a Panasonic LV-55 at Circuit City for $599 minus the already mentioned $100 rebate. Here's a link to my initial impressions... http://www.digitaltheater.com/cfb/in...estTimeout=500
(You didn't mention your Dad's reasons for wanting a portable, but one thing to keep in mind is that they are going to be a bit more of a hassle to operate than a regular player. Unless he travels alot, or wants to occasionally take movies to friends or family homes, he's probably better off buying more than one cheaper standard version for multiple TVs in the house...IMO)
If you have any specific questions, fire away!
------------------

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm going to email the URL to this thread over to Dad so he can get the scoop. Who knows...maybe he'll even register to ask his OWN DAMN questions in the future! (Just kidding, Dad.
laugh.gif
)
Thanks again for the help.
------------------
Scott

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Follow up post:
I got an email from Dad today that reads:
"Bought a Sharp port. dvd w/7.8' screen for $540. at uBid.com. Had the most features for the best price. Did I get a deal? Will send you the page if I can."
Apparently Pop thinks emails are like telegraphs and they charge by the consonant. So was this a good deal? Did he do OK?
------------------
Scott

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
7.8" is a great size in the portable world, and ubid.com sells new equipment. Doesn't sound like he mad a bad choice at all. Wish I previewed in person the differences between all the brand names, but I did check out some of the reviews for Panasonic port dvd players at audioreview.com and they came up great. Didn't find any for Sharp though.
confused.gif
Plus many of the reviewers bought their players from ubid.com.
btw- this looks like the one your dad bought.
[Edited last by Scott L on July 19, 2001 at 07:13 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks