What's new

My dad has a bose sound system, what sub could I pair up with it? (1 Viewer)

Dale.A

Auditioning
My dad currently has a bose sound system. I know it's not too great, I know eventually he is going to get an HDTV and get a progressive DVD player.

The reason he won't change is just because it appears to sound good. What he is missing is the fact that there is better. Now I was looking at the bose booklet and the 'sub' woofer is 3 5.25" speakers ported!!?!? I was testing it out and there's barely any rumble and only at very high listening levels. I'm sure I can convince him to upgrade by getting him to watch LOTR and Godzilla. What would be a good sub for him to get in the price range of $300-$500. More than likely on the cheaper side. It would be fed 100watts.

If I must, I'll even build him a box to save on costs.

Joel_Ackerson

Stunt Coordinator
I added a Mirage powered 15" subwoofer to my Brother's Bose surround system with a Sony ES DD/DTS reciever and that really helped with the bass that was missing in his system. Do a search and you will find several subwoofer's in your price range that will work great! Try DLS 10", SVS, JBL, or try to swing buying a used Velodyne which is your best bet for the money.

Cheer's

Ian_A

Agent
If you are trying to get more base for movies without breaking the bank you can get the Sony SA-WM40 retail for about $250 and should be able to get it for less or check out the prices on Ebay. It's got a 12" driver 120 amp. You will feel the bass when you are watching home theater. I have had one for about a year now and it will be in my system for some time yet.

Check out the below link to audio review.

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...7_2741crx.aspx

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ian-A if you ever have tried putting a DLS in the same spot as your Sony you might have a different opinion. You might find yourself recommending the DLS for a bang for your dollar budget sub. The Sony is close but does not get the cigar. Your meter and ears would be the judge.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Does your wife know of your affair with your DLS. She has to be getting a little jealous by now. (JK) You have caused quite a back up at parts express via your talk of the "Mighty DLS". I had one on order but the order kept backing up. The lady today said probably late FEb. or mid March before they get a shipment. So I drugged my wife,cancelled my DlS order, and am now ordering the new SVS Box due out in a couple of weeks. God help me when she comes around. I know it is quite a bit more expensive but I am ready for REAL BASS. Wanna trade my Sony for one of your Vels????? Funny guy huh!!
Later.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hay that's good Jeff. I guess if I dish it out I should be willing to receive to. So you drugged your wife huh?! I will remember that. I have a few stories myself concerning WAF and the shenanigans it has taken to proceed in the all illusive bass search. I think it is a good thing that you are getting a SVS Box. You will not regret it. You might take a thrashing for a few days and then she will calm down until you decide to reorder that "Mighty Little DLS" sub. Options is where it is at;) . Con-grads on your new purchase. >>> MMMM what shall I watch first to test this thing out?:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Like someone said before. You have given parts express more business than they could have done on their own. I think they owe you a free dls sub to stack with your current dls. OH the possibilities then!!!

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Dale,

I say if you can wait for the DLS 10" then it is a no brainer. Cheap ($99) and like Steve says a hard hitter for its size. Should make the Bose sound a little larger anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks