My dad has a bose sound system, what sub could I pair up with it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dale.A, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Dale.A

Dale.A Auditioning

My dad currently has a bose sound system. I know it's not too great, I know eventually he is going to get an HDTV and get a progressive DVD player.

The reason he won't change is just because it appears to sound good. What he is missing is the fact that there is better. Now I was looking at the bose booklet and the 'sub' woofer is 3 5.25" speakers ported!!?!? I was testing it out and there's barely any rumble and only at very high listening levels. I'm sure I can convince him to upgrade by getting him to watch LOTR and Godzilla. What would be a good sub for him to get in the price range of $300-$500. More than likely on the cheaper side. It would be fed 100watts.

If I must, I'll even build him a box to save on costs.

2. Joel_Ackerson

Joel_Ackerson Stunt Coordinator

I added a Mirage powered 15" subwoofer to my Brother's Bose surround system with a Sony ES DD/DTS reciever and that really helped with the bass that was missing in his system. Do a search and you will find several subwoofer's in your price range that will work great! Try DLS 10", SVS, JBL, or try to swing buying a used Velodyne which is your best bet for the money.

Cheer's

3. MattMB

MattMB Agent

My father has a Bose setup, and recently went with the DLS 10" sub from Parts Express. A little over $100 US shipped and he's quite pleased with it. It is not passive, but an active sub with 100 watt plate amp built in. Rounds out the sound nicly.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-630&DID=7

4. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Yeah, but if you do this, then you'll want to change out the other "speakers."

5. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

If you are trying to get more base for movies without breaking the bank you can get the Sony SA-WM40 retail for about $250 and should be able to get it for less or check out the prices on Ebay. It's got a 12" driver 120 amp. You will feel the bass when you are watching home theater. I have had one for about a year now and it will be in my system for some time yet.

Check out the below link to audio review.

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...7_2741crx.aspx

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Ian-A if you ever have tried putting a DLS in the same spot as your Sony you might have a different opinion. You might find yourself recommending the DLS for a bang for your dollar budget sub. The Sony is close but does not get the cigar. Your meter and ears would be the judge.

7. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

Does your wife know of your affair with your DLS. She has to be getting a little jealous by now. (JK) You have caused quite a back up at parts express via your talk of the "Mighty DLS". I had one on order but the order kept backing up. The lady today said probably late FEb. or mid March before they get a shipment. So I drugged my wife,cancelled my DlS order, and am now ordering the new SVS Box due out in a couple of weeks. God help me when she comes around. I know it is quite a bit more expensive but I am ready for REAL BASS. Wanna trade my Sony for one of your Vels????? Funny guy huh!!
    Later.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hay that's good Jeff. I guess if I dish it out I should be willing to receive to. So you drugged your wife huh?! I will remember that. I have a few stories myself concerning WAF and the shenanigans it has taken to proceed in the all illusive bass search. I think it is a good thing that you are getting a SVS Box. You will not regret it. You might take a thrashing for a few days and then she will calm down until you decide to reorder that "Mighty Little DLS" sub. Options is where it is at[​IMG] . Con-grads on your new purchase. >>> MMMM what shall I watch first to test this thing out?[​IMG]

9. Jeff-Watson

Like someone said before. You have given parts express more business than they could have done on their own. I think they owe you a free dls sub to stack with your current dls. OH the possibilities then!!!

10. Jeff-Watson

Dale,

I say if you can wait for the DLS 10" then it is a no brainer. Cheap ($99) and like Steve says a hard hitter for its size. Should make the Bose sound a little larger anyway.