What's new

My dad had a triple bypass today. (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My dad has been stationed in Iraq since the end of April. He's 55 and is in pretty good shape. Because of his position and rank, he is able to communicate with my mom and myself at least every other day if not every day. Tuesday morning my mom gets a phone call from Dad's Sergeant-Major saying he's being airlifted to a hospital in Baghdad because he's having trouble breathing but they cannot release any more information at that time. A few hours later, another call comes in from Dad's CO. He says they're medivacing him to an airforce base in Germany and someone will be in touch with us as soon as they know something. Later on that evening, Dad is able to call from Germany to say they've run all sorts of tests on him and they all came up with nothing but they're going to do an angiogram (sp?) on him later that day to see if it was his heart or just indigestion. No word at all Wednesday while he's waiting for his test results. Thursday morning early, a nurse from the hospital in Germany calls and leaves a number where we can reach Dad at the hospital. Mom calls and gets to talk to him and he says the results came back showing three arteries blocked and the doctors had already scheduled surgery for him later in the afternoon. We've had no word since so we're all on pins and needles here. It's bad not knowing what's going on but it's even worse when you're thousands of miles away waiting on a phone call. We called the Red Cross after talking to Dad and they're supposed to wire an inquiry to the hospital to notify his CO to call as soon as he gets word on Dad's condition, which they said my be up to three to five days. It's going to be a long weekend here.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I hope he comes out of it alright, Clinton. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I hope everything turns out well for you, Clinton. I really understand the distance thing, though, because my mom just got back from Iraq 2 weeks ago.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry to hear about your father Clinton. If it makes you feel any better, bypass surgery is pretty much a routine operation these days, and doesn't hold the same risk-factors as it did 10-15 years ago.

My father has had two heart attacks, and after the second one also required bypass surgery. He was scheduled for triple-bypass, and after the surgery was finished the surgeon informed us that they doubled the bypasses and performed 6 (i.e. six arties were blocked, so they did a sextuple bypass) instead of 3. My father's doing great, and outside of regular doctors visits & checkups is in good health.

Would it be possible for your family to travel to Germany to be with you father?

Moe.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Clinton, Stuff like this is scary especially when you're far away but they found the problem in time to fix it. Good luck to you and your family. I'm sure your dad will do fine.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
A bypass is freaky to watch. I got to see one. It's amazing how they do it. If you read up on how they do it, or get an opportunity to see one, you might feel better about it.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks for the replies and prayers. I've been away from my computer for a few days. I'm planning my wedding and started a new job while this was all going on.
It turns out Dad's was like Moe's father. A Red Cross worker called the evening after surgery and said they had performed a 6 bypass instead of a triple but he did great. Another phone call this morning told us he was recovering very well in a step-down unit and, with any luck, he should be well enough in two or three days to call us.

We would have gone to Germany but we didn't know it was as serious as it was until the day of the operation. Since he's recovering well and will most likely be sent back State-side when he's well enough to travel, we decided there was no need in going.

Once again, thank you HTF for your warm heartfelt thoughts and prayers in a tough time. :)

Devin U

Second Unit
I work in a cardiovascular ICU taking care of post CABG patients. now a days, It really is a common procedure with few long term complications. The most importain thing for him to do is to start moving as soon as he can. He's going to be sore for weeks, but he really needs to do the lung excersices and get up and walk around with help as soon as he can. Keep encouraging him, especially the first couple of days afterward, because the 2nd and 3rd day are the hardest for most people.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Clinton,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that your father is progressing well. Sounds like you do have a lot going on. Good luck with the wedding plans and best wishes.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, I know how that sucks. My mother-in-law had quadruple bypass surgery about three meeks ago. She's not doing so well so far. Hard time breathing and now had a blood clot in her leg from where they removed a vein to repair the heart. BUT, she has said that she does feel in "better overall health" since the operation.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Glad your father's doing better Clinton.

I kind of know what it's like for a parent to have heart surgery. My mom had a stroke in 1997, and they found out it was caused by a piece of clot that came off a hole in her heart that was there since birth and never diagnosed/seen. It was amazing that she lived to 38 without any doctors ever seeing it. She was told that most people don't live with it not being fixed. She had open heart surgery in early 1998, and is doing alot better now. The stroke did cause some effects, like her crying very easily, some coordination problems, and forgetfulness. Otherwise there was no lasting effects.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Let me just chip in with yet another successful rehab story. My dad had a triple bypass 2 years ago and is doing even better now than before the operation. The recovery was slow for the first couple of months and he was quite tired through this, but with rehab therapy and lots of walking, he's now playing golf 3-4 times week and no longer wheezes and pants after even a little strenuous activity. He's 76.

Those doctors at the Ottawa Heart Institute are freaking brillant.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I got to talk to Dad this morning and his voice sounds really strong. He says he hurts all over but feels good otherwise. A nurse is coming to walk him every few hours to keep good circulation since they removed veins from one arm and one leg. He says the doctors tell him they've never seen a patient recover from a 6 that quickly. He told them it's because he hates hospitals and wants to come home. :) They tell him that if he keeps doing well, in a day or two, he will be transferred back to the military hospital in Landstuhl where he will spend anywhere from a week to a month then he will be coming home.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad they're taking good care of your Dad at Landstuhl--I assume he's there? We live about an hour from there, and go there for major medical needs. I had minor surgery there myself a few years ago, and the care was pretty good.

Good luck to you and your family!
Kevin

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Kevin - He had the surgery at Homburg (sp) but is now back at Landstuhl. I got to talk to him again this morning and the doctors are satisfied enough with his progress that they've already booked a flight for him to come back stateside this weekend!!!!!! He'll be in a Texas hospital by Sunday and I'm gonna take off next Friday and drive my mom down to see him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks