Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg

My Cousin Rachel (1952) Blu-ray Review
my-cousin-rachel-poster-1024x805.jpg

Versatile director Henry Koster gets strong performances from the stars Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton in this ambiguous tale of romance and suspicion.

[review]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Ramin! The disc certainly looks and sounds beautiful - I think it's safe to say you won't be disappointed.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have never seen this version. I watched the 2017 version a few days ago and enjoyed it. Now I want to see this one.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have never seen this version. I watched the 2017 version a few days ago and enjoyed it. Now I want to see this one.

Well, I guess I've done my job right :)

I was curious about the 2017 adaptation after seeing this earlier version. I probably need a little break before I can revisit the same story again, but I'd check it out. If you do see this earlier one, I would definitely be interested in your thoughts on how they compare.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw the original in my childhood and enjoyed it immensely. I saw it again when TT released the DVD and enjoyed it immensely. I bought the BD of the remake just because I like the story and I've always admired Rachel Weisz as an actress. The film is more explicit, more overwrought, than the original; but alright if you haven't seen the original. I subsequently acquired TT's BD and must admit that the film really holds up and Josh's review nails it. It's a very good film.
Note to Josh: The Robe may have been released first, but the very first film shot in the 'Scope process was How to Marry a Millionaire.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Jose for the kind words - I'm always interested in your take on these films I view.

Since you've seen both versions: is the remake less ambiguous than the original? I can imagine modern fimmmakers being a little tempted to give events a more definitive conclusion, but in this case, I'm not sure that would benefit the story.

I have to admit that while it seems completely beside the point to know - the point seems to be in the danger of obsessing over the unknowable and letting that take over your life - I am nonetheless curious how the original author felt about the title character. I'm glad the story doesn't tell but I still want to know. (I hope Burton saves me a spot down the rabbit hole.)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The ending is a bit different but, in my eyes, the ambiguity remains. I think you can watch the movie and arrive at a different conclusion every time depending on the clues you're looking for; but always keep in mind that Philip is an unreliable narrator.
The Production Code also came into play. Many sexual themes are openly discussed in the remake which could not even be alluded to in the original.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I can't tell from the review if this is in black and white or color. Which is it?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Reviews are so important, Josh; as are yours. But I had little doubt where TT and "My Cousin Rachel" were concerned. Still, its nice to know that all turned out so well; as this BD edition has been one of high interest to me. Now, once I've caught up to TT's output from 2017, I'll be well on my way to this great film. Thanks, Josh.

Last edited:

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I've seen both the original 1952 version on TCM and the 2017 re-make. In my opinion, there is no comparison. The original is so much better in every way: acting, directing, cinematography, score...et al. The 2017 version seems rather flat and boring, while the original holds my interest of beginning to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks