My cool new BIG dvd rack for $59...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Robinson, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

[​IMG]
    I was pleased to see that this was $20 less than the price advertised in the catalog- which i thought was already affrodable.
    It's pretty damn tall (8 shelves), and each shelf holds 37 regular sized disks (296 total).
    As far as style, I think it's minimal appearance is quite sexy- a single "reversiable" board- one side is white, the other side is a nice light woodgrain, with white shelves, with thin metal rods running down the sides to prevent spillage.
    I don't think you'll find a nicer looking, more functional piece of gear that costs less than $60 and holds around 300 disks.

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

I'm with you, Rob! I've had two of these racks mounted side by side on my wall for almost two years now. They're inexpensive and quite functional, and as you remarked, easy on the eyes. If I ever get enough discs, I'll happily add a third rack. Cheers.
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
    Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

3. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

dave- do you know how long they keep items like this in production?
    If I knew they were going to stop making them anytime soon, I would by a couple more now.

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

WTB (where to buy)? [​IMG]

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Mike- I picked mine up at IKEA schaumberg, just outside of chicago.
    I'm pretty sure there is an IKEA near most major metro areas.
    there are no ecommerce capabilities on ikea.com, but you can order a catalog, and then mail order it from them.
    Or, I suppose, because I did post the price and model info, you could prolly just call them up and order one by name.
    http://www.ikea-usa.com/ or (800) 434-4532
    they also have an audio rack I REALLY REALLY liked, but it was sold out. I will prolly order it and post some pics when I get it.

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Looks great Rob! I wonder how they'd look like with 2 side by side? not great for expandability, I suppose, but sure looks great. How hard was it to put together? Nice 'feet' btw. Do you have the name of the audio rack you were looking at? hmmm maybe I'll be making a trip to the Ikea in town to check it out...
    ------------------
    McPaul.

7. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

paul- i think you can put quite a few side by side and they'd look good.
    Putting it together took all of 5 minutes with a power screwdriver- it is one solid board, you lay it on it's back, stick in the shelfs using wooden pegs, then tighten in screws in the back. once those are on, you simply attch the light metal bar to each side.
    The audio rack was called Kaxas, I believe. It was $69, grey with with silver feet, 5 or 6 shelves. It was about 18 inches wide, chest high.